Re: [Authentic_SCA] Fw: Ermine fur in SCA period (was Re: A qestion about a cloak.)

  • Brad Moore
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 20, 2012
      The fur lining the coat is most likely lynx or leopard belly fur.  It looks too long to be ermine to my eye.  I would look for an affordable lynx fur coat to deconstruct, or a faux fur with a longish pile, and a very soft hand.

      Je Reste,

      Nicolas

      Brad Moore

      "If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."
      - J.R.R. Tolkien

    • Kareina Talvi Tytär
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 13, 2012

        > Does anyone have a good link or advice on how to take ermine pelts and
        > turn them into something usable for costuming. I am a seamstress but I've
        > never worked with fur. I would like to reproduce the outfit worn by King
        > Edward VI at his coronation:
        > http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/4f/Edward_VI_of_England_c._1546.jpgfor my son. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
        > ,_.___

        Many years ago Anne of Bradford (then living in Oertha) made Mantle out of
        Ermine for Duke Radnor of Guildemar. There is a photo of it on line here
        http://history.westkingdom.org/Year38/Photos/TN19.htm

        If I remember correctly it took 36 ermine for just that mantle; the ermine
        were trapped, skinned, and tanned by Kylson Skyfyre (now deceased . I
        recall her saying that the project was difficult enough that she never
        wished to sew another ermine again. If you want to talk to someone who has
        sewn ermine I (or several others on this list) could put you in touch with
        her.

        --Kareina