Re: [Authentic_SCA] Fw: Ermine fur in SCA period (was Re: A qestion about a cloak.)

  • Kara May
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 20, 2012
      Hi Petranella,

      What do you think makes the black spots in the fur? Do lynx have black spots? Lynx are much bigger than ermine so that would be great if I dont have to work with so many small pelts.

      Kara

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 20, 2012
        The fur lining the coat is most likely lynx or leopard belly fur.  It looks too long to be ermine to my eye.  I would look for an affordable lynx fur coat to deconstruct, or a faux fur with a longish pile, and a very soft hand.

        Je Reste,

        Nicolas

        Brad Moore

        "If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."
        - J.R.R. Tolkien

      • Kareina Talvi Tytär
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 13, 2012

          > Does anyone have a good link or advice on how to take ermine pelts and
          > turn them into something usable for costuming. I am a seamstress but I've
          > never worked with fur. I would like to reproduce the outfit worn by King
          > Edward VI at his coronation:
          > http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/4f/Edward_VI_of_England_c._1546.jpgfor my son. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
          > ,_.___

          Many years ago Anne of Bradford (then living in Oertha) made Mantle out of
          Ermine for Duke Radnor of Guildemar. There is a photo of it on line here
          http://history.westkingdom.org/Year38/Photos/TN19.htm

          If I remember correctly it took 36 ermine for just that mantle; the ermine
          were trapped, skinned, and tanned by Kylson Skyfyre (now deceased . I
          recall her saying that the project was difficult enough that she never
          wished to sew another ermine again. If you want to talk to someone who has
          sewn ermine I (or several others on this list) could put you in touch with
          her.

          --Kareina