Re: [Authentic_SCA] Fw: Ermine fur in SCA period (was Re: A qestion about a cloak.)

  • Salli Weston, Scott Theisen
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 19, 2012
      I suspect that is not ermine. The fur is way too long. I would guess lynx,
      personally. Cut from the back using a utility knife, not scissors. Take
      very small seam allowances. An eyebrow comb is useful for getting the tiny
      hairs out of your seam lines. Match your grains.

      Petranella

      On Fri, Oct 19, 2012 at 11:45 AM, L Joseph <wodeford@...> wrote:

      > **

      Vladimir Radescu
      Petranella Fitzallen

    • Kara May
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 20, 2012
        Hi Petranella,

        What do you think makes the black spots in the fur? Do lynx have black spots? Lynx are much bigger than ermine so that would be great if I dont have to work with so many small pelts.

        Kara

        ________________________________
        I suspect that is not ermine. The fur is way too long. I would guess lynx,
        personally. Cut from the back using a utility knife, not scissors. Take
        very small seam allowances. An eyebrow comb is useful for getting the tiny
        hairs out of your seam lines. Match your grains.

        Petranella

        On Fri, Oct 19, 2012 at 11:45 AM, L Joseph <wodeford@...> wrote:

        > **

      • Brad Moore
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 20, 2012
          The fur lining the coat is most likely lynx or leopard belly fur.  It looks too long to be ermine to my eye.  I would look for an affordable lynx fur coat to deconstruct, or a faux fur with a longish pile, and a very soft hand.

          Je Reste,

          Nicolas

          Brad Moore

          "If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."
          - J.R.R. Tolkien

        • Kareina Talvi Tytär
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 13, 2012

            > Does anyone have a good link or advice on how to take ermine pelts and
            > turn them into something usable for costuming. I am a seamstress but I've
            > never worked with fur. I would like to reproduce the outfit worn by King
            > Edward VI at his coronation:
            > http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/4f/Edward_VI_of_England_c._1546.jpgfor my son. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
            > ,_.___

            Many years ago Anne of Bradford (then living in Oertha) made Mantle out of
            Ermine for Duke Radnor of Guildemar. There is a photo of it on line here
            http://history.westkingdom.org/Year38/Photos/TN19.htm

            If I remember correctly it took 36 ermine for just that mantle; the ermine
            were trapped, skinned, and tanned by Kylson Skyfyre (now deceased . I
            recall her saying that the project was difficult enough that she never
            wished to sew another ermine again. If you want to talk to someone who has
            sewn ermine I (or several others on this list) could put you in touch with
            her.

            --Kareina