Fw: Ermine fur in SCA period (was Re: A qestion about a cloak.)

  • L Joseph
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 19, 2012
      --- On Fri, 10/19/12, KaraM <karamay2@...> wrote:

      From: KaraM <karamay2@...>
      Subject: Ermine fur in SCA period (was Re: A qestion about a cloak.)
      To: Authentic_SCA-owner@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Friday, October 19, 2012, 9:32 AM

      Does anyone have a good link or advice on how to take ermine pelts and turn them into something usable for costuming. I am a seamstress but I've never worked with fur. I would like to reproduce the outfit worn by King Edward VI at his coronation: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/4f/Edward_VI_of_England_c._1546.jpg for my son. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

    • Salli Weston, Scott Theisen
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 19, 2012
        I suspect that is not ermine. The fur is way too long. I would guess lynx,
        personally. Cut from the back using a utility knife, not scissors. Take
        very small seam allowances. An eyebrow comb is useful for getting the tiny
        hairs out of your seam lines. Match your grains.

        Petranella

        On Fri, Oct 19, 2012 at 11:45 AM, L Joseph <wodeford@...> wrote:

        > **

        Vladimir Radescu
        Petranella Fitzallen

      • Kara May
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 20, 2012
          Hi Petranella,

          What do you think makes the black spots in the fur? Do lynx have black spots? Lynx are much bigger than ermine so that would be great if I dont have to work with so many small pelts.

          Kara

          ________________________________
          I suspect that is not ermine. The fur is way too long. I would guess lynx,
          personally. Cut from the back using a utility knife, not scissors. Take
          very small seam allowances. An eyebrow comb is useful for getting the tiny
          hairs out of your seam lines. Match your grains.

          Petranella

          On Fri, Oct 19, 2012 at 11:45 AM, L Joseph <wodeford@...> wrote:

          > **

        • Brad Moore
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 20, 2012
            The fur lining the coat is most likely lynx or leopard belly fur.  It looks too long to be ermine to my eye.  I would look for an affordable lynx fur coat to deconstruct, or a faux fur with a longish pile, and a very soft hand.

            Je Reste,

            Nicolas

            Brad Moore

            "If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."
            - J.R.R. Tolkien

          • Kareina Talvi Tytär
            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 13, 2012

              > Does anyone have a good link or advice on how to take ermine pelts and
              > turn them into something usable for costuming. I am a seamstress but I've
              > never worked with fur. I would like to reproduce the outfit worn by King
              > Edward VI at his coronation:
              > http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/4f/Edward_VI_of_England_c._1546.jpgfor my son. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
              > ,_.___

              Many years ago Anne of Bradford (then living in Oertha) made Mantle out of
              Ermine for Duke Radnor of Guildemar. There is a photo of it on line here
              http://history.westkingdom.org/Year38/Photos/TN19.htm

              If I remember correctly it took 36 ermine for just that mantle; the ermine
              were trapped, skinned, and tanned by Kylson Skyfyre (now deceased . I
              recall her saying that the project was difficult enough that she never
              wished to sew another ermine again. If you want to talk to someone who has
              sewn ermine I (or several others on this list) could put you in touch with
              her.

              --Kareina