Review: Secrets of the Viking Sword on Nova

  • EaldredSCA@aol.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 10, 2012
      The show was pretty good. Essentially the point was to determine what kind of steel were used in the Ulfberht swords and where it may have come from.

      Alan Williams of England was on camera quite a bit. He showed that, based on examining metal from Viking Age (VA) swords, that the Ulfberhts were most likely crucible steel. The quality was noticeably better than standard forged iron/steel.

      Of course no one in Europe produced crucible steel until the early industrial revolution. So his contention was that the metal was coming out of Central Asia. He pointed out that the appearance of the metal in the Ulfberht type swords coincide with the Viking trade roots through the Volga to the lands along the Caspian sea.

      Part of the show included efforts by Richard Furrer of Door County Forge to create crucible steel. The show said that a closed hearth furnace was found in Central Asia. Furrer made a similar furnace and created an ingot of crucible steel from which he forged a modern ulfberht.

      Overall, I give the program good marks for the way they presented the Viking Age and presenting a logical case for how the sword metal came to be. That said, I don't have enough knowledge to be able to say definitely that they were correct. But at least I didn't find myself yelling, "that's not right" or rolling my eyes at bogus statements.

      Ealdred of Malmesbury
      Dawson Lewis, Pierre

      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 25, 2012
        http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/ancient/secrets-viking-sword.html

        For those of you who were not able to watch this when it aired, it is available online at the link above.
        A transcript is also available.

        Ylaire Sainte Claire

        Sent from my iPad

        On Oct 10, 2012, at 10:24 PM, EaldredSCA@... wrote:

        > The show was pretty good. Essentially the point was to determine what kind of steel were used in the Ulfberht swords and where it may have come from.
        >
        > Alan Williams of England was on camera quite a bit. He showed that, based on examining metal from Viking Age (VA) swords, that the Ulfberhts were most likely crucible steel. The quality was noticeably better than standard forged iron/steel.
        >
        > Of course no one in Europe produced crucible steel until the early industrial revolution. So his contention was that the metal was coming out of Central Asia. He pointed out that the appearance of the metal in the Ulfberht type swords coincide with the Viking trade roots through the Volga to the lands along the Caspian sea.
        >
        > Part of the show included efforts by Richard Furrer of Door County Forge to create crucible steel. The show said that a closed hearth furnace was found in Central Asia. Furrer made a similar furnace and created an ingot of crucible steel from which he forged a modern ulfberht.
        >
        > Overall, I give the program good marks for the way they presented the Viking Age and presenting a logical case for how the sword metal came to be. That said, I don't have enough knowledge to be able to say definitely that they were correct. But at least I didn't find myself yelling, "that's not right" or rolling my eyes at bogus statements.
        >
        > Ealdred of Malmesbury
        > Dawson Lewis, Pierre

      • Andrea Luxenburg
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 25, 2012
          I know that in medieval thought, each of the seven liberal arts (Grammar, Dialectic, Rhetoric, Arithmetic, Geometry, Music, and Astronomy) was governed by one of the planetary intelligences, but the only one I have found is that Venus rules Grammar.  Does anyone have the rest of the correspondences?

          Thanks ever so.

          Fflur verch hywel

        • Jennifer Kobayashi
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 25, 2012
            > From: Andrea Luxenburg <huwydd@...>

            >I know that in medieval thought, each of the seven liberal arts (Grammar, Dialectic, Rhetoric, Arithmetic, Geometry, Music, and Astronomy) was governed by one of the planetary intelligences, but the only one I have found is that Venus rules Grammar.  Does anyone have the rest of the correspondences?

            From Dante's "Convivo":
            http://www.poetryintranslation.com/PITBR/Italian/ConvivioII.htm#_Toc189547314

            Here it is grammer-Moon, dialectics-Mercury, rhetoric-Venus, etc.

            -Jennifer/Gwendolyn of Middlemarch