Re: [Authentic_SCA] Animals

  • Despair Bear
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 10, 2012
      We are in the West, central California. We have similar problems here with fox and coyote getting onto our property and killing everything. We ended up getting a very large dog (200 lbs) and our livestock losses had gone down to almost nothing. My wife wanted to get some Saanen goats but we ended up with toggenburgs (Swiss) as we found them first. We are now moving away from goats, the don't produce as much manure as our cow not as much milk. The cow eats more grasses and weeds but less trees. At one point our goats ate $300 worth of trees from "trees of antiquity" (a great company that carries some medieval species of fruit trees). Agreed on the heritage breeds, while they are more authentic they tend to produce less. On the other hand we find that our heritage breeds are overall healthier and can thrive on a lesser quality of food. Nearly all of our animals live free-range year round with no issues but we are turning one of our Saxon homes into a cow
      shed for calving season just to make things a little easier on her. Have you tried any period construction for your outbuildings?

      Godric

      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 10, 2012
        We also just got dorkings this year and LOVE them. Completely sold on them. In addition to being historically accurate, they have the best personalities,   My girls will come running when they see me and don't mind being picked up (much)  Not sure about the roo yet...typical adolescent male, all bravado at this point. We were told not to make the males tame or they will think you are part of the flock and may try to dominate you.

        We got started with chickens because we were visiting outdoor museums over in Germany and they all had chicken coops. Thinking about getting a livestock guardian dog, too, as we have had some predation and we have goats, also, although for fiber not milking. (the people back then had dogs for a reason!  Who'da thunk it?)

        The fact that the goats live on brush and browse was a plus for us, as that is all we have.

        off to check out the period tree source...I've been wanting some "period" apple trees.

        Laura