Cooking and Dining in Medieval England

  • Tiffany Brown
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 16, 2012
      Has anyone had a chance to look at this book from an authenticist's
      perspective yet?
      Also if they have, how narrow is his definition of medieval? How well
      referenced?

      Cooking and Dining in Medieval England
      <http://www.oxbowbooks.com/bookinfo.cfm/ID/63115/mid/6766>
      by Peter Brears
      The history of medieval food and cookery has received a fair amount of
      attention from the point of view of recipes (of which many survive) and
      of the general context of feasts and feasting. It has never, as yet,
      been studied with an eye to the real mechanics of food production and
      service: the equipment used, the household organisation, the
      architectural arrangements for kitchens, store-rooms, pantries, larders,
      cellars, and domestic ...
      Paperback. US$40.00, US$32.00

      --
      . ___
      {o,o} The blog you are not looking for
      |)__) is definitely not at
      -"-"- http://teffania.blogspot.com
    • Cristal Delamer
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 16, 2012
        This is a great book and has been on my wish list for quite some time. The
        paperback is just coming out now so i would grab it if I were you. I plan
        to do so. Brears' interpretations are quite authentic and this book is
        great for learning the ins and outs of the entire medieval kitchen and how
        it worked. He covers 14-16th centuries in this book, I believe. He
        references all of the well-known medieval cookbooks and the bibliography
        and indices alone are 120 pages!

        --
        ~Cristal

        *domum coquus est numquam esurientem amicitiae*
        ~A cook's home is never hungry for friendship~

        On Mon, Jul 16, 2012 at 8:20 PM, Tiffany Brown <teffania@...> wrote:

        > **
        >

        > Has anyone had a chance to look at this book from
        > perspective yet?
        > Also if they have, how narrow is his definition of medieval? How well
        > referenced?
        >
        > Cooking and Dining in Medieval England
        > <http://www.oxbowbooks.com/bookinfo.cfm/ID/63115/mid/6766>
        > by Peter Brears
        > The history of medieval food and cookery has received a fair amount of
        > attention from the point of view of recipes (of which many survive) and
        > of the general context of feasts and feasting. It has never, as yet,
        > been studied with an eye to the real mechanics of food production and
        > service: the equipment used, the household organisation, the
        > architectural arrangements for kitchens, store-rooms, pantries, larders,
        > cellars, and domestic ...
        > Paperback. US$40.00, US$32.00
        >
        > --
        > . ___
        > {o,o} The blog you are not looking for
        > |)__) is definitely not at
        > -"-"- http://teffania.blogspot.com

      • Tiffany Brown
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 17, 2012
          On 17 July 2012 14:45, Cristal Delamer <cristaldelamer@...> wrote:
          > This is a great book and has been on my wish list for quite some time. The
          > paperback is just coming out now so i would grab it if I were you. I plan
          > to do so. Brears' interpretations are quite authentic and this book is
          > great for learning the ins and outs of the entire medieval kitchen and how
          > it worked. He covers 14-16th centuries in this book, I believe. He
          > references all of the well-known medieval cookbooks and the bibliography
          > and indices alone are 120 pages!

          Thanks very much! I'd hope for a 12-14th C interpretation with the
          name medeival used, but it did seem less likely given the greater
          sparcity of evidence. This is indeed going on my wishlist now.

          Teffania