where to find bees wax for candle making demonstration

  • christopher
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 10, 2012
      Hello,

      I am trying to do a candle making demonstration with our SCA group for our museum comes to life event. I am going to be making tallow and bees wax candles as both were period. Tallow part I'm fine with but finding a good source of bees wax has been hard that isn't an arm and a leg since I'm a poor college student. So any advice on finding inexpensive bees wax suppliers would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

      Chris
    • Michael Hurley
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 11, 2012
        On Jul 11, 2012, at 1:17 AM, christopher wrote:

        > Hello,
        >
        > I am trying to do a candle making demonstration with our SCA group for our museum comes to life event. I am going to be making tallow and bees wax candles as both were period. Tallow part I'm fine with but finding a good source of bees wax has been hard that isn't an arm and a leg since I'm a poor college student. So any advice on finding inexpensive bees wax suppliers would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

        I'm afraid the inexpensive part may be hard to come by. Michael's sells beeswax in bulk and that may be your cheapest option (per pound, anyway), but you may still have to spend a fair amount in total. If you live someplace with a lot of beekeeping/honey producing activity nearby, you may be able to buy your beeswax direct from a beekeeper, but it may well be "dirty" with bits of dead bee, old honey and so on mixed into it. Store-bought beeswax is usually filtered to removed most if not all of that.
        --
        Yours in Service,

        Owein ap Cai, Grey Niche, Gleann Abhann
      • Laurie Clarkston
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 11, 2012
          You can contact the "Bee Folks"  -- google them.  They live in Maryland and come to Pennsic.

          Rachael Jarvis at Walnuthollowworkshop@... sells bees wax and she is in Spotsylvania County, VA.
          I bought some from her for a project and I did not need the top of the line wax.  This was one screening away from clean, and there was nothing in it.  Nice wax, nice price.

          It is going to be the shipping cost that gets you.  Buying by the pound is expensive in shipping.

          Cairistiona

          ________________________________
          On Jul 11, 2012, at 1:17 AM, christopher wrote:

          > Hello,
          >
          > I am trying to do a candle making demonstration with our SCA group for our museum comes to life event. I am going to be making tallow and bees wax candles as both were period. Tallow part I'm fine with but finding a good source of bees wax has been hard that isn't an arm and a leg since I'm a poor college student. So any advice on finding inexpensive bees wax suppliers would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

          I'm afraid the inexpensive part may be hard to come by. Michael's sells beeswax in bulk and that may be your cheapest option (per pound, anyway), but you may still have to spend a fair amount in total. If you live someplace with a lot of beekeeping/honey producing activity nearby, you may be able to buy your beeswax direct from a beekeeper, but it may well be "dirty" with bits of dead bee, old honey and so on mixed into it. Store-bought beeswax is usually filtered to removed most if not all of that.
          --
          Yours in Service,

          Owein ap Cai, Grey Niche, Gleann Abhann

        • Jen Dobyns
          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 13, 2012
            Once upon a time I got the "caps" from the beekeepers at our local university. They are full of debris as well as the wax, you have to melt it all down in a pot of water and strain. The gunk falls to the bottom, what solidifies on the top as it cools is the wax, mostly. Repeating the process gets the wax cleaner. So getting the wax from these is fairly labor intensive, but it was free. You might check and see if your college has an entomology department with a beekeeping program.

            Genevieve

            --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "christopher" <chris_kletke@...> wrote:

            > Hello,
            >
            > I am trying to do a candle making demonstration with our SCA group for our museum comes to life event. I am going to be making tallow and bees wax candles as both were period. Tallow part I'm fine with but finding a good source of bees wax has been hard that isn't an arm and a leg since I'm a poor college student. So any advice on finding inexpensive bees wax suppliers would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
            >

            > Chris

          • gardinladi
            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 18, 2012
              This may be a long shot, but do you know anyone who is on the Altar Guild or helps out at their church who still uses beeswax candles? As a teenager ours still did, and the pillar candles were used until they were an inch or two high and too short for the holders then discarded or possibly given away.

              --Dame Jocelyn of Lutterworth

              --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "christopher" <chris_kletke@...> wrote:

              > Hello,
              >
              > I am trying to do a candle making demonstration with our SCA group for our museum comes to life event. I am going to be making tallow and bees wax candles as both were period. Tallow part I'm fine with but finding a good source of bees wax has been hard that isn't an arm and a leg since I'm a poor college student. So any advice on finding inexpensive bees wax suppliers would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
              >

              > Chris

            • christopher
              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 19, 2012
                Ok I with your advice I found some really great sources of bees wax a few local bee keepers are going to give me their excess wax as it's for a good cause of educating the public although I'll have to process the wax to make it usable should be an interesting experience. My next question is books or websites that show the method of making them and the history of candles so that I can give a synopsis of what historical wicks were used and how to construct them as I haven't really made any before. SO would you recommend any websites books that would give such information. Thanks again for all your advice I really appreciate it.

                --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "gardinladi" <gardinladi@...> wrote:

                > This may be a long shot, but do you know anyone who is on the Altar Guild or helps out at their church who still uses beeswax candles? As a teenager ours still did, and the pillar candles were used until they were an inch or two high and too short for the holders then discarded or possibly given away.
                >
                > --Dame Jocelyn of Lutterworth
                >

                > --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "christopher" <chris_kletke@> wrote:
                > >
                > > Hello,
                > >
                > > I am trying to do a candle making demonstration with our SCA group for our museum comes to life event. I am going to be making tallow and bees wax candles as both were period. Tallow part I'm fine with but finding a good source of bees wax has been hard that isn't an arm and a leg since I'm a poor college student. So any advice on finding inexpensive bees wax suppliers would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
                > >

                > > Chris

              • Diane Dooley
                Message 7 of 9 , Jul 19, 2012
                  Now you have me curious. If you've never done this before, why choose it as a thing to demonstrate? I've dipped candles before at a colonial village, and while *I* thought it was neat, I was that sort of weird kid. I'm not sure it would have sucked me in at a college demo. Not that I'm trying to dissuade you; I'm just curious as to the thought process.

                  Tasha

                  Sent from my iPhone

                  On Jul 19, 2012, at 12:50, "christopher" <chris_kletke@...> wrote:

                  > Ok I with your advice I found some really great sources of bees wax a few local bee keepers are going to give me their excess wax as it's for a good cause of educating the public although I'll have to process the wax to make it usable should be an interesting experience. My next question is books or websites that show the method of making them and the history of candles so that I can give a synopsis of what historical wicks were used and how to construct them as I haven't really made any before. SO would you recommend any websites books that would give such information. Thanks again for all your advice I really appreciate it.
                  >
                  > --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "gardinladi" <gardinladi@...> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > This may be a long shot, but do you know anyone who is on the Altar Guild or helps out at their church who still uses beeswax candles? As a teenager ours still did, and the pillar candles were used until they were an inch or two high and too short for the holders then discarded or possibly given away.
                  > >
                  > > --Dame Jocelyn of Lutterworth
                  > >

                  > > --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "christopher" <chris_kletke@> wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > Hello,
                  > > >
                  > > > I am trying to do a candle making demonstration with our SCA group for our museum comes to life event. I am going to be making tallow and bees wax candles as both were period. Tallow part I'm fine with but finding a good source of bees wax has been hard that isn't an arm and a leg since I'm a poor college student. So any advice on finding inexpensive bees wax suppliers would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
                  > > >

                  > > > Chris

                • christopher
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jul 19, 2012
                    MESSAGE SNIPPED BY MODERATOR SO AS NOT TO REPEAT THE FOUR PRECEDING POSTS.

                    Well our group decided to do it and sounded interesting to me and I have about 4 months to perfect my skills so I signed up to do it
                  • Jessica M
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jul 19, 2012
                      Just saw the post, I use beeswax to seal my period cheese. I buy it from here- http://www.cheesemaking.com/BeeswaxOnePound.html

                      $12 a pound, if you need more then a few contact them for a possible discount. Remember that you can charge a supply fee to students if they are keeping what they make in class...

                      -Galiena