Re: How did people hold their pens?

  • Ylaire Sainte Claire
    Message 1 of 16 , Jul 7, 2012
      Actually, this is a knife. This knife is held against the vellum while writing. A Pennsic, stop by guild Mirandola and talk to Ranthufr (Randy Asplund) about holding the pen and knife. He actually uses period tools, made by himself, and period grips. http://www.randyasplund.com/ his web page. A link of him holding both the pen and the knife. I believe the knife helps to hold the paper still without making smudges of oils (oils that could keep the ink from laying right) and to use as a guide of where to put the letter (like a kindergartner using a pointer finger on a line of text they are concentrating on writing). http://www.randyasplund.com/pages/article/schiff1.html

      He is an excellent source of information on authentic scribal tools, methods, paints, everything. He usually teaches a class or two at Pennsic in the Guild Mirandola tent. Also, there is an SCA Scribes and Illuminators yahoogroup where you might find others knowledgable on this subject.

      Ylaire Sainte Claire
      Shire of Sylvan Glen, Æthelmearc

      Sent from my iPad
    • Madame du Pont
      Message 2 of 16 , Jul 9, 2012
        Merci for going to all the trouble of posting these links and I really like the picture of Sir Ranthulfr Asperlund!

        Your, In Service,
        Mme du Pont
        Stayner de silk
        Leaving An Tir for Meridies in 3 days....

        --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "Karen_Larsdatter" <karen_larsdatter@...> wrote:

        > I think the "Tournaments Illuminated" article was Sir Ranthulfr Asparlundr's piece a few years back; you can see a photo of him working with a pen and knife at http://www.randyasplund.com/imgs/histbufimg/Scribeshop.jpg
        > Here's an article about the process he used to create a T.I. cover:
        > http://www.randyasplund.com/pages/article/tournpg/tipg1.html
        >

        > Karen Larsdatter
        > www.larsdatter.com

      • Madame du Pont
        Message 3 of 16 , Jul 9, 2012
          That all makes sense. Merci for thy reply!
          Mme du Pont
          Stayner de silk

          --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, fastusminimus <cahuff@...> wrote:

          > I >think< one is the pen and the other is to hold the media in
          > place...without getting your sweaty icky fingers on it...
          > Something I need to use this week!
        • Madame du Pont
          Message 4 of 16 , Jul 9, 2012
            Merci for the interesting information. Sometimes, it is the 'little things' that make all the difference!!

            Adieu,
            Mme du Pont
            Stayner de silk
            Chateau du Merry Swan