Re: [Authentic_SCA] Re: How did people hold their pens?

  • fastusminimus
    Message 1 of 16 , Jul 6, 2012
      On Jul 6, 2012, at 10:54 AM, Madame du Pont wrote:

      > Do you know why in a lot of the pictures the writers are holding
      > two instruments, one in each hand?

      I >think< one is the pen and the other is to hold the media in
      place...without getting your sweaty icky fingers on it...
      Something I need to use this week!
      Ta
      Carol-in the stinkin heat for yet another few days! At least we have
      power, for now!

      > Thanks for the pictures. It is interesting to isolate one activity
      > and see it a lot of pictures.
      >
      > Adieu,
      > Madame du Pont

      Of the craftsmen it may be said that in the handiwork of their craft
      is their prayer.

    • Cynthia Ley
      Message 2 of 16 , Jul 7, 2012
        On 7/7/2012 7:41 AM, Karen_Larsdatter wrote:

        > Madame du Pont asked:
        >
        > > Do you know why in a lot of the pictures the writers are holding
        > > two instruments, one in each hand?

        A few issues ago, there was a Tournaments Illuminated which focused on
        scribal, and I recall one author addressing this very question. Don't
        have it where I can get to it right now though.

        Arlys

      • Madame du Pont
        Message 3 of 16 , Jul 7, 2012
          OK...that would make sense so you don't put your hand down on the work.

          Merci,
          Mme du Pont
          Stayner de silk
          Kingdom d'An Tir...moving in 5 days to Meridies

          ________________________________
          > From: Madame du Pont <madamedupont@...>
          >
          > Greetings Karen Larsdatter,
          >
          > Do you know why in a lot of the pictures the writers are holding two instruments, one in each hand?
          >
          > Madame du Pont

        • Ylaire Sainte Claire
          Message 4 of 16 , Jul 7, 2012
            Actually, this is a knife. This knife is held against the vellum while writing. A Pennsic, stop by guild Mirandola and talk to Ranthufr (Randy Asplund) about holding the pen and knife. He actually uses period tools, made by himself, and period grips. http://www.randyasplund.com/ his web page. A link of him holding both the pen and the knife. I believe the knife helps to hold the paper still without making smudges of oils (oils that could keep the ink from laying right) and to use as a guide of where to put the letter (like a kindergartner using a pointer finger on a line of text they are concentrating on writing). http://www.randyasplund.com/pages/article/schiff1.html

            He is an excellent source of information on authentic scribal tools, methods, paints, everything. He usually teaches a class or two at Pennsic in the Guild Mirandola tent. Also, there is an SCA Scribes and Illuminators yahoogroup where you might find others knowledgable on this subject.

            Ylaire Sainte Claire
            Shire of Sylvan Glen, Æthelmearc

            Sent from my iPad
          • Karen_Larsdatter
            Message 5 of 16 , Jul 8, 2012
              The secondary tool is often a knife; it's used for holding down the parchment while writing, or scraping away an error before it has the chance to set, I think; could also be used for sharpening a quill pen.

              Some assorted examples:
              http://atlantis.coe.uh.edu/manuscripts/docs/03medievalproduction.pdf
              http://www.bodley.ox.ac.uk/dept/scwmss/wmss/medieval/jpegs/imagecat/1500/imac0968.jpg
              http://www.themorgan.org/collections/collections.asp?id=81
              http://www.bl.uk/catalogues/illuminatedmanuscripts/ILLUMIN.ASP?Size=mid&IllID=43454
              http://blog.metmuseum.org/penandparchment/exhibition-images/cat110r2_49b/
              http://visualiseur.bnf.fr/ConsulterElementNum?O=IFN-8100220&E=JPEG&Deb=46&Fin=46&Param=C
              http://visualiseur.bnf.fr/ConsulterElementNum?O=IFN-8100228&E=JPEG&Deb=2&Fin=2&Param=C
              http://visualiseur.bnf.fr/ConsulterElementNum?O=IFN-8100228&E=JPEG&Deb=83&Fin=83&Param=C
              http://visualiseur.bnf.fr/ConsulterElementNum?O=IFN-8100228&E=JPEG&Deb=125&Fin=125&Param=C
              http://visualiseur.bnf.fr/ConsulterElementNum?O=IFN-8100261&E=JPEG&Deb=284&Fin=284&Param=C

              (A few more good examples at the Morgan Library, but their Corsair system seems to have problems this weekend.)

              I think the "Tournaments Illuminated" article was Sir Ranthulfr Asparlundr's piece a few years back; you can see a photo of him working with a pen and knife at http://www.randyasplund.com/imgs/histbufimg/Scribeshop.jpg
              Here's an article about the process he used to create a T.I. cover:
              http://www.randyasplund.com/pages/article/tournpg/tipg1.html

              Karen Larsdatter
              www.larsdatter.com
            • Madame du Pont
              Message 6 of 16 , Jul 8, 2012
                Ummm, an ink horn. I need to look into those. When I do demos making silk standards I use a sea shell to put my dye in. So perhaps an ink horn might have been used.

                And thank you for pointing that out.

                Adieu,
                Mme du Pont
                Stayner de silk
                4 days til I relocate to the realm of Meridies

                --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "Karen_Larsdatter" <karen_larsdatter@...> wrote:

                > Madame du Pont asked:
                >
                > > Do you know why in a lot of the pictures the writers are holding
                > > two instruments, one in each hand?
                >
                > It depends on which illustration you're looking at; the second tool in http://www.nuernberger-hausbuecher.de/75-Amb-2-317-62-r/data is likely an inkhorn, for example (see http://larsdatter.com/inkwells.htm for several examples).
                >

                > Karen Larsdatter
                > www.larsdatter.com

              • Madame du Pont
                Message 7 of 16 , Jul 9, 2012
                  Merci for going to all the trouble of posting these links and I really like the picture of Sir Ranthulfr Asperlund!

                  Your, In Service,
                  Mme du Pont
                  Stayner de silk
                  Leaving An Tir for Meridies in 3 days....

                  --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "Karen_Larsdatter" <karen_larsdatter@...> wrote:

                  > I think the "Tournaments Illuminated" article was Sir Ranthulfr Asparlundr's piece a few years back; you can see a photo of him working with a pen and knife at http://www.randyasplund.com/imgs/histbufimg/Scribeshop.jpg
                  > Here's an article about the process he used to create a T.I. cover:
                  > http://www.randyasplund.com/pages/article/tournpg/tipg1.html
                  >

                  > Karen Larsdatter
                  > www.larsdatter.com

                • Madame du Pont
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jul 9, 2012
                    That all makes sense. Merci for thy reply!
                    Mme du Pont
                    Stayner de silk

                    Message 9 of 16 , Jul 9, 2012
                      Merci for the interesting information. Sometimes, it is the 'little things' that make all the difference!!

                      Adieu,
                      Mme du Pont
                      Stayner de silk
                      Chateau du Merry Swan