Re: How did people hold their pens?

  • Karen_Larsdatter
    Message 1 of 16 , Jul 5, 2012
      Asfridhr wrote:

      > do we know *how* they held their writing instruments?

      Sure -- check out http://larsdatter.com/scribaltools.htm for several illustrations showing writers, scriveners, scribes and so on, at work on various types of manuscripts, ranging from about the 11th century to the 17th century.

      If you're looking for illuminators & illustrators, check out http://larsdatter.com/painting.htm as well.

      Karen Larsdatter
      www.larsdatter.com
    • Karen_Larsdatter
      Message 2 of 16 , Jul 5, 2012
        Yikes, sorry; the illuminators & illustrators are actually at http://larsdatter.com/illuminators.htm these days. :)

        Karen Larsdatter
        www.larsdatter.com
      • Madame du Pont
        Message 3 of 16 , Jul 6, 2012
          Greetings Karen Larsdatter,

          Do you know why in a lot of the pictures the writers are holding two instruments, one in each hand?

          Thanks for the pictures. It is interesting to isolate one activity and see it a lot of pictures.

          Adieu,
          Madame du Pont
          Stayner de Silk
          Chateau du Merry Swan
          Currenty from An Tir, but in 6 days moving to the realm of Meridies

          --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "Karen_Larsdatter" <karen_larsdatter@...> wrote:

          > Yikes, sorry; the illuminators & illustrators are actually at http://larsdatter.com/illuminators.htm these days. :)
          >

          > Karen Larsdatter
          > www.larsdatter.com

        • fastusminimus
          Message 4 of 16 , Jul 6, 2012
            On Jul 6, 2012, at 10:54 AM, Madame du Pont wrote:

            > Do you know why in a lot of the pictures the writers are holding
            > two instruments, one in each hand?

            I >think< one is the pen and the other is to hold the media in
            place...without getting your sweaty icky fingers on it...
            Something I need to use this week!
            Ta
            Carol-in the stinkin heat for yet another few days! At least we have
            power, for now!

            > Thanks for the pictures. It is interesting to isolate one activity
            > and see it a lot of pictures.
            >
            > Adieu,
            > Madame du Pont

            Of the craftsmen it may be said that in the handiwork of their craft
            is their prayer.

          • Ann Catelli
            Message 5 of 16 , Jul 6, 2012
              I have memories of a paper where it said the second instrument was placed under the hand, so it wouldn't smudge the ink.

              Ann in CT

              ________________________________
              From: Madame du Pont <madamedupont@...>

              Greetings Karen Larsdatter,

              Do you know why in a lot of the pictures the writers are holding two instruments, one in each hand?

              Madame du Pont

              --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "Karen_Larsdatter" <karen_larsdatter@...> wrote:

              > Yikes, sorry; the illuminators & illustrators are actually at http://larsdatter.com/illuminators.htm these days. :)
              >
              > Karen Larsdatter
              > www.larsdatter.com

            • Karen_Larsdatter
              Message 6 of 16 , Jul 7, 2012
                Madame du Pont asked:

                > Do you know why in a lot of the pictures the writers are holding
                > two instruments, one in each hand?

                It depends on which illustration you're looking at; the second tool in http://www.nuernberger-hausbuecher.de/75-Amb-2-317-62-r/data is likely an inkhorn, for example (see http://larsdatter.com/inkwells.htm for several examples).

                Karen Larsdatter
                www.larsdatter.com
              • Cynthia Ley
                Message 7 of 16 , Jul 7, 2012
                  On 7/7/2012 7:41 AM, Karen_Larsdatter wrote:

                  > Madame du Pont asked:
                  >
                  > > Do you know why in a lot of the pictures the writers are holding
                  > > two instruments, one in each hand?

                  A few issues ago, there was a Tournaments Illuminated which focused on
                  scribal, and I recall one author addressing this very question. Don't
                  have it where I can get to it right now though.

                  Arlys

                • Madame du Pont
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jul 7, 2012
                    OK...that would make sense so you don't put your hand down on the work.

                    Merci,
                    Mme du Pont
                    Stayner de silk
                    Kingdom d'An Tir...moving in 5 days to Meridies

                    ________________________________
                    > From: Madame du Pont <madamedupont@...>
                    >
                    > Greetings Karen Larsdatter,
                    >
                    > Do you know why in a lot of the pictures the writers are holding two instruments, one in each hand?
                    >
                    > Madame du Pont

                  • Ylaire Sainte Claire
                    Message 9 of 16 , Jul 7, 2012
                      Actually, this is a knife. This knife is held against the vellum while writing. A Pennsic, stop by guild Mirandola and talk to Ranthufr (Randy Asplund) about holding the pen and knife. He actually uses period tools, made by himself, and period grips. http://www.randyasplund.com/ his web page. A link of him holding both the pen and the knife. I believe the knife helps to hold the paper still without making smudges of oils (oils that could keep the ink from laying right) and to use as a guide of where to put the letter (like a kindergartner using a pointer finger on a line of text they are concentrating on writing). http://www.randyasplund.com/pages/article/schiff1.html

                      He is an excellent source of information on authentic scribal tools, methods, paints, everything. He usually teaches a class or two at Pennsic in the Guild Mirandola tent. Also, there is an SCA Scribes and Illuminators yahoogroup where you might find others knowledgable on this subject.

                      Ylaire Sainte Claire
                      Shire of Sylvan Glen, Æthelmearc

                      Sent from my iPad
                    • Karen_Larsdatter
                      Message 10 of 16 , Jul 8, 2012
                        The secondary tool is often a knife; it's used for holding down the parchment while writing, or scraping away an error before it has the chance to set, I think; could also be used for sharpening a quill pen.

                        Some assorted examples:
                        http://atlantis.coe.uh.edu/manuscripts/docs/03medievalproduction.pdf
                        http://www.bodley.ox.ac.uk/dept/scwmss/wmss/medieval/jpegs/imagecat/1500/imac0968.jpg
                        http://www.themorgan.org/collections/collections.asp?id=81
                        http://www.bl.uk/catalogues/illuminatedmanuscripts/ILLUMIN.ASP?Size=mid&IllID=43454
                        http://blog.metmuseum.org/penandparchment/exhibition-images/cat110r2_49b/
                        http://visualiseur.bnf.fr/ConsulterElementNum?O=IFN-8100220&E=JPEG&Deb=46&Fin=46&Param=C
                        http://visualiseur.bnf.fr/ConsulterElementNum?O=IFN-8100228&E=JPEG&Deb=2&Fin=2&Param=C
                        http://visualiseur.bnf.fr/ConsulterElementNum?O=IFN-8100228&E=JPEG&Deb=83&Fin=83&Param=C
                        http://visualiseur.bnf.fr/ConsulterElementNum?O=IFN-8100228&E=JPEG&Deb=125&Fin=125&Param=C
                        http://visualiseur.bnf.fr/ConsulterElementNum?O=IFN-8100261&E=JPEG&Deb=284&Fin=284&Param=C

                        (A few more good examples at the Morgan Library, but their Corsair system seems to have problems this weekend.)

                        I think the "Tournaments Illuminated" article was Sir Ranthulfr Asparlundr's piece a few years back; you can see a photo of him working with a pen and knife at http://www.randyasplund.com/imgs/histbufimg/Scribeshop.jpg
                        Here's an article about the process he used to create a T.I. cover:
                        http://www.randyasplund.com/pages/article/tournpg/tipg1.html

                        Karen Larsdatter
                        www.larsdatter.com
                      • Madame du Pont
                        Message 11 of 16 , Jul 8, 2012
                          Ummm, an ink horn. I need to look into those. When I do demos making silk standards I use a sea shell to put my dye in. So perhaps an ink horn might have been used.

                          And thank you for pointing that out.

                          Adieu,
                          Mme du Pont
                          Stayner de silk
                          4 days til I relocate to the realm of Meridies

                          --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "Karen_Larsdatter" <karen_larsdatter@...> wrote:

                          > Madame du Pont asked:
                          >
                          > > Do you know why in a lot of the pictures the writers are holding
                          > > two instruments, one in each hand?
                          >
                          > It depends on which illustration you're looking at; the second tool in http://www.nuernberger-hausbuecher.de/75-Amb-2-317-62-r/data is likely an inkhorn, for example (see http://larsdatter.com/inkwells.htm for several examples).
                          >

                          > Karen Larsdatter
                          > www.larsdatter.com

                        • Madame du Pont
                          Message 12 of 16 , Jul 9, 2012
                            Merci for going to all the trouble of posting these links and I really like the picture of Sir Ranthulfr Asperlund!

                            Your, In Service,
                            Mme du Pont
                            Stayner de silk
                            Leaving An Tir for Meridies in 3 days....

                            --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "Karen_Larsdatter" <karen_larsdatter@...> wrote:

                            > I think the "Tournaments Illuminated" article was Sir Ranthulfr Asparlundr's piece a few years back; you can see a photo of him working with a pen and knife at http://www.randyasplund.com/imgs/histbufimg/Scribeshop.jpg
                            > Here's an article about the process he used to create a T.I. cover:
                            > http://www.randyasplund.com/pages/article/tournpg/tipg1.html
                            >

                            > Karen Larsdatter
                            > www.larsdatter.com

                          • Madame du Pont
                            Message 13 of 16 , Jul 9, 2012
                              That all makes sense. Merci for thy reply!
                              Mme du Pont
                              Stayner de silk

                              Message 14 of 16 , Jul 9, 2012
                                Merci for the interesting information. Sometimes, it is the 'little things' that make all the difference!!

                                Adieu,
                                Mme du Pont
                                Stayner de silk
                                Chateau du Merry Swan