Re: [Authentic_SCA] Re: Sample Personas

  • Des & Jan Howard
    Message 1 of 15 , Jun 21 5:33 PM
      All right, in for a penny, in for a groat.

      > 1}What is your persona's name?
      Ranif Pallesser
      > 2}What time period is your persona from?
      1495
      > 3}What land/continent?
      England
      > 4} What did your persona do on a day-to-day basis?
      Master potter, living & working in the Surrey-Hampshire
      Border area making ware for the London market. Retired
      archer & chirurgeon with the Battalion of England in
      the Order of Saint John of Rhodes.
      > His/her interests?
      Making money. Will hire out as an archer to suitable
      mercenary companies. Sixpence a day income as a
      manufacturing potter is a very good living, but
      tenpence a day as an archer is excellent.
      > 5}What is her/his social standing?
      As a lesser merchant, middle class. No social
      aspirations, obedient to betters, devout to church, but
      despise nobility, distrustful of clergy. Business
      dealings usually with fellow merchants or upper servants.
      > 6}Family?
      Wife, maintains household & workshop while I'm away
      trading or fighting. Married daughter, lives far away
      with children & trader spouse.
      > 7}what clothing did he/she wear and what materials
      > where they made out of?
      Fairly conservative. Knee length linen or light wool
      plain tunics. No black or dark brown. Dark green, dark
      blue, rust, yellow or red, Narrow, plain leather belt,
      small simple leather pouch. Light doublet under tunic,
      slightly ruffled collar & cuffs linen shirts. Do not
      care for short doublets, arse hugging joined hose &
      codpieces. Old fashioned longer linen braies, split
      hose, ribbon garters. Welted shoes. Touch of vanity
      produces a liking for woven/felted caps of Continental
      design.
      Ranif
    • Sayyeda al-Kaslaania
      Message 2 of 15 , Jun 21 7:41 PM
        1}What is your persona's name? Her given name is Samia bint 'Isa.
        "Bint" means "daughter of". Because she is an Honorable Lady, no one
        outside of family and close personal friends calls her by her given
        name. They use her title and the community nick-name given to her, so
        she's called Sayyeda (Lady) al-Kaslaania.

        2}What time period is your persona from? 11th century Cairo, Egypt,
        in the Fatimid Caliphate. It's considered the height of Medieval Islamic
        art by modern historians. There was an exceptionally high literacy rate
        during this period, and a true economic middle class.

        3}What land/continent? Middle Eastern/Mediterranean, Egypt, Cairo

        4} What did your persona do on a day-to-day basis? His/her interests?
        She would spend time every day reading and teaching her children how to
        read. Twice a week she would go to the public baths and visit with her
        friends. Most surfaces in the home would have textiles (much like modern
        homes) and she would spend time doing embroidery to decorate those.
        Depending on how wealthy she was, she may be responsible for retrieving
        water from the public wells for the family to use during the day. Living
        in the urban city, she did not generally cook-- most urban homes didn't
        have kitchens. Coming home from work every day, her husband would bring
        dinner from a food vendor.

        5}What is her/his social standing? Middle class, which is also the
        merchant class in this period.

        6}Family? She would live with her husband, any children she has, and
        likely some extended family of her husband's. The family might share a
        courtyard with another family of a different faith (be they Muslim,
        Christian, or Jewish) so that any chickens or small livestock they
        co-owned would not be left untended on each family's sabbath.

        7}what clothing did he/she wear and what materials where they made out
        of? She wore tunics, at least an over and under tunic every
        day(sometimes a coat too), pants (sirwal), a rectangular wrap for a
        cloak. Half of her clothing would be headgear, since her head was never
        bare in public (whether she was Muslim, Christian, or Jewish in this
        period). She would have a pair of matched bracelets, gifts from her
        parents, one worn on each wrist. Linen trade in this period far
        surpassed the combined total of every other commodity, so the majority
        of her clothing would be linen. If she needed something with brighter
        colors, for embroidery for example; or just warmer, it was wool. If they
        were exceptionally wealthy, or decided to splurge for a special
        occasion, she might have a few pieces of silk. Rarely, cotton fabrics
        have been excavated as decorations on garments in this period.

        Here's a link to my Middle Eastern garb handout.
        <https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B5A0XA-vd3VHOTQzMjg0ZjYtMjQwYy00NGQxLTkyOWMtOWI0NDU4Njg2OTY0>

        Additional books (that are great for a dabbler):

        Guthrie, Shirley. /Arab Social Life in the Middle Ages: An Illustrated
        Study/. London: Saqi Books, 1995.

        Baker, Patricia L. /Islamic Textiles/. London: British Museum Press, 1995.

        Ellis, Marianne. /Embroideries and Samplers from Islamic Egypt/.
        Ashmolean Museum/University of Oxford, 2001.

        Ettinghausen, Richard. /Arab Painting: Treasures of Asia/. New york:
        Rizzoli International Publications, Inc., 1997.

        Menocal, Maria Rosa. /Ornament of the World, The: How Muslims, Jews, and
        Christians Created a Culture of Tolerance in Medieval Spain/. Little,
        Brown, and Company, 2002
        Zaouali, L. /Medieval Cuisine of the Islamic World: A Concise History
        with 174 Recipes/. Ed. M. B. DeBevoise, Trans. Berkley: University of
        California Press, 2007.

      • Cynthia Ley
        Message 3 of 15 , Jun 21 10:05 PM
          On 6/21/2012 5:33 PM, Des & Jan Howard wrote:
          > All right, in for a penny, in for a groat.

          And another tuppence' worth. :-)

          >> 1}What is your persona's name?
          > Arlys o Gordon. Her real name is "Arlindis," but owing to an early blossoming of musical talent in her childhood, she got teased with the name "Arlys," and it stuck. The name translates out of Anglo-Norman more or less as meaning "tone deaf." The "o" is not a patronymic; rather, it means "from," as in "from the Gordon lands." She married a distant relative, a fine Scottish gentleman also of the Gordon family. Arlys' family branch remained in England after the Conquest which brought them from Normandy in the first place. Husband James' branch is descended from the contingent of Gordons who went to Scotland when William, called Conqueror, sent his grandson there to be wed to a Scottish princess.
          >> 2}What time period is your persona from?
          > 1300
          >> 3}What land/continent?
          > England, slightly north of York.
          >> 4} What did your persona do on a day-to-day basis?
          > Arlys is a noble woman, and so manages her husband's estates and her own. She has a good legal and theological mind and these have proven to be of value. She was schooled by the Gilbertine nuns, so can read, draw her own letters, and pursue her musical interests. She loves conversing with scholars and clergy. She is also fascinated by the lore of the area.
          >> His/her interests?
          > Music, embroidery, reading, telling stories. She does not like to spin or sew, but is in a position that her ladies can take care of this task.
          >> 5}What is her/his social standing?
          She is middle nobility, but the estates are managed well and anything
          that can be turned into profit is turned so wisely. Like all the
          Gordons, she is considered to be in royal service, a tradition that
          dates back to before William sailed the Channel and the family name was
          spelled /Gourdun/. However, at this time, skirmishes along the Border
          are common, so loyalty to one's King can be a bit problematic at times,
          depending on where the Border happens to be this week. She attends
          chapel regularly, and adheres to religious traditions and practices of
          her day.

          >> 6}Family?
          > Married, has one son who is also married, and grandchildren.
          >> 7}what clothing did he/she wear and what materials
          >> where they made out of?

          She is quite fond of sideless surcoats, finding them to be practical and
          comfortable. She wears linen and "wool". (This is where Arlys and I part
          ways--I have a severe wool allergy, so wear other fabrics which have a
          wool persona.) For everyday, she wears a linen coif on her head, and
          wears a veil for more formal occasions. She only wears regalia for the
          most formal of events or meetings, her practical mind noting that even
          the King doesn't wear the crown amongst His own fellows.

        • bronwynmgn@aol.com
          Message 4 of 15 , Jun 22 6:38 AM
            1}What is your persona's name?

            Brangwayna Morgan. Contrary to popular belief, Brangwayna is not a Welsh name; it's from Suffolk.

            2}What time period is your persona from?

            Born in 1135 in Shrewsbury, England (making her, although I did not know it at the time I chose the date, a younger contemporary of Brother Cadfael).

            3}What land/continent?

            England

            4} What did your persona do on a day-to-day basis? His/her interests?

            Brangwayna is married to a prosperous tailor. She manages his home, cooks and takes care of the house and their son, and assists with work in his shop. She has some ability with simple music and learned to shoot archery as a child, continuing when she has the time.

            5}What is her/his social standing?

            Middle class merchant's wife

            6}Family?

            Only daughter of a minor landowner who always had money problems, so she was raised her to hunt and care for the house on her own. Married to a tailor who could offer her father a good dowry to offset some of his money problems. Although he is a Lowland Scot, they have come to love each other well.

            7}what clothing did he/she wear and what materials where they made out of?

            Mostly simple rectangular construction gowns in wool or linen, linen undergarments and headgear. A few gowns are cut more on the lines of the fashionable bliauts, but she can't afford to make them in silk as they should be.

            Brangwayna Morgan
            Shire of Silver Rylle, East Kingdom
            Lancaster, PA

          • MissTinaBunni
            Message 5 of 15 , Jun 22 3:16 PM
              1}What is your persona's name?
              Ealdgyð; she wouldn't have had a byname historically but for SCA purposes her byname is the descriptor Eosterlic meaning of or pertaining to Easter because she was born on the day her people would have observed Easter by their calendar in 935.
              2}What time period is your persona from?
              She was born in 935, so 10th c Anglo Saxon
              3}What land/continent?
              Born in Eoforwic, Northumbria in the Danelaw of Northern England, she spent some of her teen years in Dun Eiden while it was under Anglisc control.
              4} What did your persona do on a day-to-day basis? His/her interests?
              Aside from managing my husband's household like it was a small business, I care for our infant son and in my "free time" do textile-crafts (mostly spinning, and some embroidery). I can read passably, and sign my own name.
              5}What is her/his social standing?
              My husband is a skilled tradesman, working for a weaponer (which he does IRL also) and we make a good upper middle class living.
              6}Family?
              A husband and son. A brother named Aelfgar who' s a scop (entertainer) and my parents are Wulfstan (a member of the fyrd) and Aelfgyfu.
              7}what clothing did he/she wear and what materials where they made out of?
              An ankle length gored tunic of wool, a floor length linen undertunic, and a headrail (wraparound veil) of linen. I sometimes wear a poncho, the front of which i tuck under my textile belt and the back of which hangs loose. Underneath I have very fitted pants and winkelbander (puttees) wrapped up to my knees. I wear leather turnshoes with toggle closures at the inner ankle like the various coppergate shoes.
            • Quokkaqueen
              Message 6 of 15 , Jun 22 4:36 PM
                1}What is your persona's name?
                Ásfríðr Úlfvíðardóttir
                (Úlfvíðardóttir is a patronymic, meaning 'daughter of Úlfvíðr')

                2}What time period is your persona from?
                910s CE.
                King Sigtrygg Gnupasson rules Heiðabýr (Hedeby, Denmark).

                3}What land/continent?
                On the Jutland peninsula, today it is on the border between Germany and Denmark.

                4} What did your persona do on a day-to-day basis? His/her interests?
                I live in a crowded, busy city full of traders and visitors from distant lands. My husband and I live in a wooden house-shop on a street that leads down to the harbour. He does spend an awful amount of time away though, sailing across the Baltic sea to acquire furs he can then sell here.
                I manage the shop while he is away, cook meals, and sew clothes for all of us.

                5}What is her/his social standing?

                Merchant class, probably lower-middle class.

                6}Family?

                A husband. We have outlived our parents, and there are no children... yet.

                7}what clothing did he/she wear and what materials where they made out of?

                Just like in the Rígsþula, I dress according to my standing. I wear a white tabby-woven linen underdress, and a suspended tubular dress over the top, which is of a diamond twill wool (either blue or brown in colour, depending on my mood). The dress is held up by long, linen loops that are then fastened together with domed bronze brooches, that sit on my collarbones. If it is cold, I will wear a rectangle of wool as a cloak, or maybe a coat that is open down the front, with mittens or a hood. Under my dress, I wear legwrappings made from herringbone wool, and low, leather shoes that are fastened with laces.

                On my head I wear a scarf, simply because it keeps my hair cleaner for longer. If I'm feeling fancy, I might fasten a string between the domed brooches, with a few precious glass beads on it.

                (Oh dear, can you tell I *like* clothes?)
                ~Asfridhr
              • Jamie Sue Bennett
                Message 7 of 15 , Jun 26 1:12 PM
                  Greetings,

                    COB stands for "College of Brymstonne".  It is the ASU chapter of the SCA.

                  http://www.brymstonne.org/

                  ~~Ashavati

                • Elizabeth W
                  Message 8 of 15 , Jun 26 9:41 PM
                    1. What is your persona's name?
                    a. Elizabeth Beaumont

                    2. What time period is your persona from?
                    a. The year is 1530, there are rumours flying about regarding the King
                    (Henry VIII) wishing to put aside his wife Catherine, but most I speak
                    to hope it will come to naught.

                    3. What land/continent?
                    a. We live in the north of England not far from Sheffield

                    4. What did your persona do on a day-to-day basis? His/her interests?
                    a. I assist my husband* in managing his estate primarily by managing
                    our household. My needlework skills are functional rather than
                    decorative and I enjoy music, though I do not play an instrument.

                    5. What is her/his social standing?
                    a. We are members of the gentry class, whilst our living is nowhere
                    near as fine as our neighbour, the Earl of Shrewsbury, my Husband
                    holds sufficient land that we are comfortable and employ a few
                    servants. We can keep a good table and often entertain out neighbours.
                    We have sufficient income that we are able to weather a poor harvest
                    or two with only a little more economy than usual.

                    6. Family?
                    a. My husband and I live far from both our parents and do not see them
                    often, though we do, of course, send letters regularly. We have, as
                    yet, no children.

                    7. What clothing did he/she wear and what materials where they made out of?
                    a. I do enjoy fine clothing and even have some items made of silk,
                    though on an everyday basis I wear wool (over a linen shift of
                    course). Before my marriage I was a lady in waiting to the Countess of
                    Worcester and periodically received some of her cast off clothing,
                    which, naturally, was of a much finer standard than my husband can now
                    afford. I try to be careful in my use of these fine fabrics I received
                    during my employment as well as the fine gift of cloth my mistress
                    gave me as a wedding gift, as I know there will be no more of such
                    fine quality.

                    *One point where my persona and I diverge, in real life we will not be
                    married until next year, but under period laws the fact that we have
                    made a promise to marry and are living together means our marriage is
                    as valid as if we had said formal vows in front of a priest and
                    hundreds of witnesses (witnesses are a useful in case of any later
                    dispute but not legally required under English law until the 18th
                    century).

                    On 6/22/12, Jamie Sue Bennett <jayzucat@...> wrote:
                    > Greetings to all,
                    >
                    > First of all, thank you so much to those who have already offered
                    > their information to this project, you all are amazing. Below is a
                    > questionnaire that will help to better explain the information we are
                    > looking for. You are all amazing. Thanks so much!
                    >
                    > 1}What is your persona's name?
                    > 2}What time period is your persona from?
                    > 3}What land/continent?
                    > 4} What did your persona do on a day-to-day basis? His/her interests?
                    > 5}What is her/his social standing?
                    > 6}Family?
                    > 7}what clothing did he/she wear and what materials where they made out
                    > of?
                    >
                    > Deepest appreciation. ~asha~

                    Elizabeth Walpole
                    http://magpiecostumer.wordpress.com/