Museum of London Tudor knitted caps available online

  • H D
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 15, 2012
      Dear
      all,

      I’m
      pleased to announce that the knitted 16th century cap collection of
      the Museum of
      London is now online. The
      73 caps, coifs, cap fragments, linings and earpieces have been newly
      photographed, with captions containing contextual and technical information. All
      the pieces will have their full captions in the next two weeks.

      The
      caps and their parts are of a large group of material excavated from sites
      around London by
      workmen in the early 20th century. They represent an insight into
      everyday urban clothing and a high level of technical skill in their knitted,
      fulled and napped construction. Caps of this style are in collections across
      Europe and North America and are the focus of a
      lot of research interest, so we are pleased to make a large group available to
      the wider research community.

      browse the caps, please go to the Collections
      Online site and enter ‘cap’ in the Keyword field with the date range
      1500-1600 in the search fields.

      Many
      thanks to all the researchers who have contributed to this project, especially
      Jane Malcolm-Davies of The Tudor Tailor.

      Do
      please pass this on to anyone who may be interested, and feel free to contact me
      if you have any questions.

      With
      best wishes,

      Hilary

    • Brad Moore
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 15, 2012
        Thank you for posting this.  It's very exciting stuff!  I have cross posted it with the German Ren Costuming Group, the Elizabethan Costuming Group, and the Historic Knit Group, as well.

        Je Reste,

        Nicolas

        Brad Moore

        "If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."
        - J.R.R. Tolkien

      • Scott Carledge
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 20, 2012
          How does one “go” to “Collections Online”?

          Colm

          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 20, 2012
            Here's a link~
            http://www.museumoflondon.org.uk/Collections-Research/Collections-online/SearchResults.aspx?description=Cap&idNumber=&makerString=&dateMadeEarliest=1500&dateMadeLatest=1600&objectType=Both&include=Objects&newSearch=true

          • lilinah@earthlink.net
            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 21, 2012
              >How does one “go” to “Collections Online”?
              >
              >Colm

              Alternately, if you are not searching just for those knit caps, you can search from the front page of the site:
              http://www.museumoflondon.org.uk/
              Click on the "Search Collections On-line" button and type what you're looking for into the search box in upper right hand corner of the page.

              Or, alternately, click on "Site Map" at the bottom of the page. Then on the Site Map Page, click on "Collections On-line", which is in the third Red box down on the left.

              Either of these will allow you to look for things other than those knit caps.

              Urtatim (that's err-tah-TEEM)
              the persona formerly known as Anahita