On RV camping, was Re: Authenticity good-- so how to hide the RV?

  • LJonthebay
    Message 1 of 19 , Jun 2, 2012
      As the SCA ages, RV camping has become more prevalent. Some folks have medical needs or just plain shouldn't be sleeping on pallets in tents under adverse conditions.

      At the camping events I attend, motor vehicles of any kind are only allowed into camp for unloading and unloading and should otherwise be kept in the designated parking area. At larger events, there's usually an area designated for RVs to pitch camp.

      Before you go to the trouble/time/expense of upholstering the exterior of your RV, what are the rules for RVs at the events you're likely to attend? I suspect your time, skills and hobby money would be better spent on other things.

      Two sen worth,
      Saionji no Hana, West Kingdom
    • JL Badgley
      Message 2 of 19 , Jun 3, 2012
        I am usually familiar with Pennsic rules, where trailers are accepted if
        they are disguised. I've seen some nice houses done on trailers that make
        me think it is doable, but you have to consider your materials. I have a
        dream of doing a house trailer at some point. Since it doesn't have its
        own engine, these trailers don't count as "motor" vehicles, so that may
        fall outside of what you are considering.

        It takes a lot of work, and it has almost always been a case of building a
        new structure on a flat trailer rather than hiding an existing RV. I also
        don't know how many events it might be or not be feasible for.

        -Ii
        On Jun 2, 2012 8:52 PM, "LJonthebay" <wodeford@...> wrote:

        > **
        >

        > As the SCA ages, RV camping has become more prevalent. Some folks have
        > medical needs or just plain shouldn't be sleeping on pallets in tents under
        > adverse conditions.
        >
        > At the camping events I attend, motor vehicles of any kind are only
        > allowed into camp for unloading and unloading and should otherwise be kept
        > in the designated parking area. At larger events, there's usually an area
        > designated for RVs to pitch camp.
        >
        > Before you go to the trouble/time/expense of upholstering the exterior of
        > your RV, what are the rules for RVs at the events you're likely to attend?
        > I suspect your time, skills and hobby money would be better spent on other
        > things.
        >
        > Two sen worth,
        > Saionji no Hana, West Kingdom

      • cheenya
        Message 3 of 19 , Jun 6, 2012
          I will admit that I didn't read the entire original thread, so this may have been mentioned, but in case it wasn't, there are two yahoo groups you may wish to join to explore this idea.
          and
          http://groups.yahoo.com/group/pennsic_homes
          They both have people who have done lots of research and who are happy to share ideas and experience.

          YIS
          -katrina
        • annakaiara
          Message 4 of 19 , Jun 7, 2012
            Thanks, these look like fun. I appreciate the direction. I think I may end up simply packing a nice pavilion to set up with my Shire and wander back to the parking lot for a night in comfort.

            I wish I could turn my van into a gypsy wagon and drape something over the cab. :)

            But the RV is too big for that. Not that I will be showing up at any events with my big cloud anytime soon, very nearly the entire interior needs to be gutted. We bought it because the transmission alone is worth what we paid. The engine is good and the chasis is excellent. But there are issues with the rest of it such as: the bathroom needs IMO to be gutted and redone completely, the entire cooking apparatus is a microwave and there are FIVE desks and no beds. This is a dream project and the interior is mine to imagine.

            It is a huge rectangular shape on wheels, plain white and rather ugly but the possibilities, ah, yes, the possibilities. :)

            --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "cheenya" <katrina@...> wrote:
            > ...two yahoo groups you may wish to join to explore this idea.

          • Katherine Throckmorton
            Message 5 of 19 , Jun 7, 2012
              In that case, it might be better to focus on interior, rather than exterior
              accuracy. As other posters pointed out, its likely that you'd need to park
              your RV in the parking lot, or in RV parking, so even if you made a cover
              for it, the ambiance outside of the RV would be lacking. But if you're
              already looking at doing a gut-remodel, it might be worthwhile to do the
              inside in as period a style as possible, so that once you go inside, you
              seem to be inside a snug medieval house. Sort of like how we often have
              events at modern churches and schools, but do our best to decorate the
              interiors to be less glaringly modern.

              -Katherine

            • annakaiara
              Message 6 of 19 , Jun 8, 2012
                OH, that is an awesome idea! Constantinople, 1000AD, Rule of Basil II, Byzantium. I would need to figure out how to do this and still have the interior so that hubby is happy with it too. A challenge--neat!

                Ann of Wellborn,called forgetful

                --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, Katherine Throckmorton <katherine.throckmorton@...> wrote:

                > In that case, it might be better to focus on interior, rather than
                > exterior accuracy.... if you're already looking at doing a
                > gut-remodel, it might be worthwhile to do the inside in as period
                > a style as possible, so that once you go inside, you seem to be
                > inside a snug medieval house.

              • MITCHELL J BARTON
                Message 7 of 19 , Jun 10, 2012
                  Oh now that could be so much fun! The one we use belongs to my brother so we cant make those kind of changes but I will have to think of things that could be done to make it more period inside that can be removed like bedding and window coverings. Thanks for the ideas
                  Ratiri in Atenveldt

                • annakaiara
                  Message 8 of 19 , Jun 14, 2012
                    Hubby and I have been discussing and he wants to keep a large portion simply open. I think I could use a trunk of fabrics to drape inside to help with period, I also think a lot of it will end up "rustic" which will fit right into my own persona. One of the cool things about Byzantine era is that they wore their wealth more than lived with it. Fabrics were everywhere, but the furniture even in the Emperor's palaces was generally simple in design. The wealth showed more in the fabrics used in decorating so the simple trunk would be more richly draped by the wealthy and more simply draped or not draped at all by the average joe.

                    So just by hauling into the RV chairs and trunks like I'd put in a tent when doing period, I'll get a quick transformation.

                    Ratiri, be sure to share what you find works well! :)

                    Ann of Wellborn, called forgetful

                    --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "MITCHELL J BARTON" <rondoval@...> wrote: I will have to think of things that could be done to make it more period inside that can be removed like bedding and window coverings. Thanks for the ideas