Re: [Authentic_SCA] Authenticity good-- so how to hide the RV?

  • lilinah@earthlink.net
    Message 1 of 19 , Jun 2, 2012
      Ann of Wellborn wrote:
      My main problem is that I like authenticity but hate tents. I own a huge
      white RV. I want to do something with it to make it less offensive. I
      thought about painting it up like a gypsy wagon but those are really not
      period, cool and old fashioned as they appear. I considered painting it to
      look like a sleeping dragon with a sign, "enchanted dragon please do not
      disturb" and make it funny. I thought about giving it black beams and
      making it look tudor, but that doesn't fit with the persona.

      I suspect the best thing I can do is have a tent in the camp for the day
      and sleep in the parking area.

      Any ideas for how I might make it less offensively modern?

      -----

      If you are interested in authenticity, then a cosy for your RV will not deliver.

      Cosies for vehicles are a "cute" idea in the SCA, but they are only historically accurate if you are studying SCA-isms.

      I've seen enough. Some have been artfully painted, some have not, some have been downright crude or silly. But whether aesthetic or awkward, beautiful or botched, they look like what they are: decorated cloth covers over vehicles or trailers.

      I think you don't need to put a costume on your RV.

      Park it in the parking lot or RV section at your event. Let it be what it is: a modern conveyance whose convenience and comforts you enjoy.

      Having a sunshade on site is a very good idea and a number of relatively simple good ones have been given. A small version of the West Kingdom BC (Battle Cruiser) can be erected by two people or even one with experience. Saionji no Hana's wedge tent as lean-to can be put up by one person.

      Enjoy your RV and don't put it in a dress, i say.

      Urtatim (that's err-tah-TEEM)
      the persona formerly known as Anahita
    • LJonthebay
      Message 2 of 19 , Jun 2, 2012
        As the SCA ages, RV camping has become more prevalent. Some folks have medical needs or just plain shouldn't be sleeping on pallets in tents under adverse conditions.

        At the camping events I attend, motor vehicles of any kind are only allowed into camp for unloading and unloading and should otherwise be kept in the designated parking area. At larger events, there's usually an area designated for RVs to pitch camp.

        Before you go to the trouble/time/expense of upholstering the exterior of your RV, what are the rules for RVs at the events you're likely to attend? I suspect your time, skills and hobby money would be better spent on other things.

        Two sen worth,
        Saionji no Hana, West Kingdom
      • JL Badgley
        Message 3 of 19 , Jun 3, 2012
          I am usually familiar with Pennsic rules, where trailers are accepted if
          they are disguised. I've seen some nice houses done on trailers that make
          me think it is doable, but you have to consider your materials. I have a
          dream of doing a house trailer at some point. Since it doesn't have its
          own engine, these trailers don't count as "motor" vehicles, so that may
          fall outside of what you are considering.

          It takes a lot of work, and it has almost always been a case of building a
          new structure on a flat trailer rather than hiding an existing RV. I also
          don't know how many events it might be or not be feasible for.

          -Ii
          On Jun 2, 2012 8:52 PM, "LJonthebay" <wodeford@...> wrote:

          > **
          >

          > As the SCA ages, RV camping has become more prevalent. Some folks have
          > medical needs or just plain shouldn't be sleeping on pallets in tents under
          > adverse conditions.
          >
          > At the camping events I attend, motor vehicles of any kind are only
          > allowed into camp for unloading and unloading and should otherwise be kept
          > in the designated parking area. At larger events, there's usually an area
          > designated for RVs to pitch camp.
          >
          > Before you go to the trouble/time/expense of upholstering the exterior of
          > your RV, what are the rules for RVs at the events you're likely to attend?
          > I suspect your time, skills and hobby money would be better spent on other
          > things.
          >
          > Two sen worth,
          > Saionji no Hana, West Kingdom

        • cheenya
          Message 4 of 19 , Jun 6, 2012
            I will admit that I didn't read the entire original thread, so this may have been mentioned, but in case it wasn't, there are two yahoo groups you may wish to join to explore this idea.
            and
            http://groups.yahoo.com/group/pennsic_homes
            They both have people who have done lots of research and who are happy to share ideas and experience.

            YIS
            -katrina
          • annakaiara
            Message 5 of 19 , Jun 7, 2012
              Thanks, these look like fun. I appreciate the direction. I think I may end up simply packing a nice pavilion to set up with my Shire and wander back to the parking lot for a night in comfort.

              I wish I could turn my van into a gypsy wagon and drape something over the cab. :)

              But the RV is too big for that. Not that I will be showing up at any events with my big cloud anytime soon, very nearly the entire interior needs to be gutted. We bought it because the transmission alone is worth what we paid. The engine is good and the chasis is excellent. But there are issues with the rest of it such as: the bathroom needs IMO to be gutted and redone completely, the entire cooking apparatus is a microwave and there are FIVE desks and no beds. This is a dream project and the interior is mine to imagine.

              It is a huge rectangular shape on wheels, plain white and rather ugly but the possibilities, ah, yes, the possibilities. :)

              --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "cheenya" <katrina@...> wrote:
              > ...two yahoo groups you may wish to join to explore this idea.

            • Katherine Throckmorton
              Message 6 of 19 , Jun 7, 2012
                In that case, it might be better to focus on interior, rather than exterior
                accuracy. As other posters pointed out, its likely that you'd need to park
                your RV in the parking lot, or in RV parking, so even if you made a cover
                for it, the ambiance outside of the RV would be lacking. But if you're
                already looking at doing a gut-remodel, it might be worthwhile to do the
                inside in as period a style as possible, so that once you go inside, you
                seem to be inside a snug medieval house. Sort of like how we often have
                events at modern churches and schools, but do our best to decorate the
                interiors to be less glaringly modern.

                -Katherine

              • annakaiara
                Message 7 of 19 , Jun 8, 2012
                  OH, that is an awesome idea! Constantinople, 1000AD, Rule of Basil II, Byzantium. I would need to figure out how to do this and still have the interior so that hubby is happy with it too. A challenge--neat!

                  Ann of Wellborn,called forgetful

                  --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, Katherine Throckmorton <katherine.throckmorton@...> wrote:

                  > In that case, it might be better to focus on interior, rather than
                  > exterior accuracy.... if you're already looking at doing a
                  > gut-remodel, it might be worthwhile to do the inside in as period
                  > a style as possible, so that once you go inside, you seem to be
                  > inside a snug medieval house.

                • MITCHELL J BARTON
                  Message 8 of 19 , Jun 10, 2012
                    Oh now that could be so much fun! The one we use belongs to my brother so we cant make those kind of changes but I will have to think of things that could be done to make it more period inside that can be removed like bedding and window coverings. Thanks for the ideas
                    Ratiri in Atenveldt

                  • annakaiara
                    Message 9 of 19 , Jun 14, 2012
                      Hubby and I have been discussing and he wants to keep a large portion simply open. I think I could use a trunk of fabrics to drape inside to help with period, I also think a lot of it will end up "rustic" which will fit right into my own persona. One of the cool things about Byzantine era is that they wore their wealth more than lived with it. Fabrics were everywhere, but the furniture even in the Emperor's palaces was generally simple in design. The wealth showed more in the fabrics used in decorating so the simple trunk would be more richly draped by the wealthy and more simply draped or not draped at all by the average joe.

                      So just by hauling into the RV chairs and trunks like I'd put in a tent when doing period, I'll get a quick transformation.

                      Ratiri, be sure to share what you find works well! :)

                      Ann of Wellborn, called forgetful

                      --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "MITCHELL J BARTON" <rondoval@...> wrote: I will have to think of things that could be done to make it more period inside that can be removed like bedding and window coverings. Thanks for the ideas