Re: [Authentic_SCA] Re: Early Tudor Costume

  • Cynthia Ley
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 1, 2012
      I may be disremembering the exact title, but I believe there is a book
      out called "The Tudor Tailor" which covers the earlier Henrican stuff.
      It got good reviews, as I recall.

      Arlys

      > Both of these sources are perfect for "early Tudor". Much simpler than
      > later Tudor. I think a headdress is so important to carry off the
      > impression....there are other headdresses besides a gable. A beginner
      > might have problems with fitting. The patterns available are of little
      > help, getting in some millinery time is useful. The Tudors Apprentice
      > has references that are better than most and show how to manage the
      > hair that keeps the gable in place. You might get a look at that as a
      > start.
      > Susana
      >
      > ________________________________
      > From: Isabella D'Angelo <isabelladangelo@...

    • Catherine Olanich Raymond
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 1, 2012
        On 06/01/2012 04:02 PM, Cynthia Ley wrote:
        > I may be disremembering the exact title, but I believe there is a book
        > out called "The Tudor Tailor" which covers the earlier Henrican stuff.
        > It got good reviews, as I recall.

        There's even more information in "The Queen's Servants," newly published
        by the same people as "The Tudor Tailor." It's pricey for the size (56
        pages and an average price of about $35 USD) but I got to look through
        it and it's packed with useful information, including a few pattern
        sketches--including headdress sketches.

        The cheapest source for "The Queen's Servants" that I know of is
        Potboiler Press (Googling will get you the URL quickly). Good luck!

        --
        Cathy Raymond
        cathy@...

        "Even imperfection itself may have its ideal or perfect state."
        --Thomas de Quincey
      • Susanne Hibbert
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 1, 2012
          My bad......that is the correct title. I've over forty-five years of collecting costuming book in different languages.
          Thanks,
          Susana

          ________________________________
          I may be disremembering the exact title, but I believe there is a book
          out called "The Tudor Tailor" which covers the earlier Henrican stuff.
          It got good reviews, as I recall.

          Arlys

          > Both of these sources are perfect for "early Tudor". Much simpler than
          > later Tudor. I think a headdress is so important to carry off the
          > impression....there are other headdresses besides a gable. A beginner
          > might have problems with fitting. The patterns available are of little
          > help, getting in some millinery time is useful. The Tudors Apprentice
          > has references that are better than most and show how to manage the
          > hair that keeps the gable in place. You might get a look at that as a
          > start.
          > Susana
          >
          > ________________________________
          > From: Isabella D'Angelo <isabelladangelo@...

        • Robin Colleen Moore
          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 2, 2012
            Not only is _The Tudor Tailor_ a fascinating book, but the authors have since put out two more books that might be of more help to the original poster--_The King's Servants_ and _The Queen's Servants_, both of which cover early Tudor period clothing (1485-1520) as worn by, well, servants to Their Majesties during that time. (Overall, the men's clothing runs a bit lower in terms of social class than the women's, as while virtually all the ladies waiting on the queens were gentlewomen if not actually noble, the same wasn't necessarily true of the men; it's not at all hard, though, to figure out what a gentleman or nobleman would have worn using the book.) They're much shorter books than TTT, and rather pricey (IIRC, my copy of _The Queen's Servants_ ran me around $42 on Amazon), but IMO are very much worth it if you're interested in this particular time period. You can buy the books both on Amazon and at tudortailor.com; it took my book about 5-6 weeks to get here.

            Hope this helps,

            Robin de la Pesterye

            From: Cynthia Ley <cley56@...>

            I may be disremembering the exact title, but I believe there is a book

            out called "The Tudor Tailor" which covers the earlier Henrican stuff.

            It got good reviews, as I recall.

            Arlys

            > Both of these sources are perfect for "early Tudor". Much simpler than

            > later Tudor. I think a headdress is so important to carry off the

            > impression....there are other headdresses besides a gable. A beginner

            > might have problems with fitting. The patterns available are of little

            > help, getting in some millinery time is useful. The Tudors Apprentice

            > has references that are better than most and show how to manage the

            > hair that keeps the gable in place. You might get a look at that as a

            > start.

            > Susana

            > From: Isabella D'Angelo <isabelladangelo@...

            > <mailto:isabelladangelo%40gmail.com>>

            Coach Bob was right: you've got to get obsessed and stay obsessed. You've got to keep passing the open windows. -- John Irving, <i>The Hotel New Hampshire</i>
          • Susanne Hibbert
            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 2, 2012
              Thank you for posting the new books!

              Susana