Re: [Authentic_SCA] Authenticity good-- so how to hide the RV?

  • Cynthia Ley
    Message 1 of 19 , Jun 1, 2012
      On 6/1/2012 11:31 AM, Robert Van Rens wrote:

      > The sleeping dragon idea gives me the shivers. You know, since we're
      > talking about authenticity and all. Medieval people, other than the
      > most deeply ignorant, knew dragons were mythical beasts.
      >
      > Park it out of sight. End of problem.
      >
      > Eadric the Potter

      Depends who you talk to. :-) In medieval England, dragons were better
      known as great "wyrms," and sightings were not all that unusual. Read
      the histories.

      Arlys

    • Susanne Hibbert
      Message 2 of 19 , Jun 1, 2012
        Darma Trading has very wide scenery canvas and other extra wide and relatively cheap canvases. They have reduced rate the more you buy. They also carry many fabric paints and dyes. They are online. I was introduced to this company many years ago. Take a look and get inspired.
        Brother Timothy of An Tir and Artimisia fame uses good quality house paint and it works for him. One pavilion top was painted a bright yellow many years ago. Anytime it gets very dirty, he re-paints it. He has had no pealing or cracking and it is only a bit faded. He also painted the dags on another pavilion with cheap black house paint. Again no complaints. You should run a test piece first.....
        Susana
        PS Americana paints are useable on any and all surfaces. I did some stenciling and stamping on the first set of "walls". That was ten years ago, and I wash them once a year!

        ________________________________
        Message 3 of 19 , Jun 2, 2012
          Ann of Wellborn wrote:
          My main problem is that I like authenticity but hate tents. I own a huge
          white RV. I want to do something with it to make it less offensive. I
          thought about painting it up like a gypsy wagon but those are really not
          period, cool and old fashioned as they appear. I considered painting it to
          look like a sleeping dragon with a sign, "enchanted dragon please do not
          disturb" and make it funny. I thought about giving it black beams and
          making it look tudor, but that doesn't fit with the persona.

          I suspect the best thing I can do is have a tent in the camp for the day
          and sleep in the parking area.

          Any ideas for how I might make it less offensively modern?

          -----

          If you are interested in authenticity, then a cosy for your RV will not deliver.

          Cosies for vehicles are a "cute" idea in the SCA, but they are only historically accurate if you are studying SCA-isms.

          I've seen enough. Some have been artfully painted, some have not, some have been downright crude or silly. But whether aesthetic or awkward, beautiful or botched, they look like what they are: decorated cloth covers over vehicles or trailers.

          I think you don't need to put a costume on your RV.

          Park it in the parking lot or RV section at your event. Let it be what it is: a modern conveyance whose convenience and comforts you enjoy.

          Having a sunshade on site is a very good idea and a number of relatively simple good ones have been given. A small version of the West Kingdom BC (Battle Cruiser) can be erected by two people or even one with experience. Saionji no Hana's wedge tent as lean-to can be put up by one person.

          Enjoy your RV and don't put it in a dress, i say.

          Urtatim (that's err-tah-TEEM)
          the persona formerly known as Anahita
        • LJonthebay
          Message 4 of 19 , Jun 2, 2012
            As the SCA ages, RV camping has become more prevalent. Some folks have medical needs or just plain shouldn't be sleeping on pallets in tents under adverse conditions.

            At the camping events I attend, motor vehicles of any kind are only allowed into camp for unloading and unloading and should otherwise be kept in the designated parking area. At larger events, there's usually an area designated for RVs to pitch camp.

            Before you go to the trouble/time/expense of upholstering the exterior of your RV, what are the rules for RVs at the events you're likely to attend? I suspect your time, skills and hobby money would be better spent on other things.

            Two sen worth,
            Saionji no Hana, West Kingdom
          • JL Badgley
            Message 5 of 19 , Jun 3, 2012
              I am usually familiar with Pennsic rules, where trailers are accepted if
              they are disguised. I've seen some nice houses done on trailers that make
              me think it is doable, but you have to consider your materials. I have a
              dream of doing a house trailer at some point. Since it doesn't have its
              own engine, these trailers don't count as "motor" vehicles, so that may
              fall outside of what you are considering.

              It takes a lot of work, and it has almost always been a case of building a
              new structure on a flat trailer rather than hiding an existing RV. I also
              don't know how many events it might be or not be feasible for.

              -Ii
              On Jun 2, 2012 8:52 PM, "LJonthebay" <wodeford@...> wrote:

              > **
              >

              > As the SCA ages, RV camping has become more prevalent. Some folks have
              > medical needs or just plain shouldn't be sleeping on pallets in tents under
              > adverse conditions.
              >
              > At the camping events I attend, motor vehicles of any kind are only
              > allowed into camp for unloading and unloading and should otherwise be kept
              > in the designated parking area. At larger events, there's usually an area
              > designated for RVs to pitch camp.
              >
              > Before you go to the trouble/time/expense of upholstering the exterior of
              > your RV, what are the rules for RVs at the events you're likely to attend?
              > I suspect your time, skills and hobby money would be better spent on other
              > things.
              >
              > Two sen worth,
              > Saionji no Hana, West Kingdom

            • cheenya
              Message 6 of 19 , Jun 6, 2012
                I will admit that I didn't read the entire original thread, so this may have been mentioned, but in case it wasn't, there are two yahoo groups you may wish to join to explore this idea.
                and
                http://groups.yahoo.com/group/pennsic_homes
                They both have people who have done lots of research and who are happy to share ideas and experience.

                YIS
                -katrina
              • annakaiara
                Message 7 of 19 , Jun 7, 2012
                  Thanks, these look like fun. I appreciate the direction. I think I may end up simply packing a nice pavilion to set up with my Shire and wander back to the parking lot for a night in comfort.

                  I wish I could turn my van into a gypsy wagon and drape something over the cab. :)

                  But the RV is too big for that. Not that I will be showing up at any events with my big cloud anytime soon, very nearly the entire interior needs to be gutted. We bought it because the transmission alone is worth what we paid. The engine is good and the chasis is excellent. But there are issues with the rest of it such as: the bathroom needs IMO to be gutted and redone completely, the entire cooking apparatus is a microwave and there are FIVE desks and no beds. This is a dream project and the interior is mine to imagine.

                  It is a huge rectangular shape on wheels, plain white and rather ugly but the possibilities, ah, yes, the possibilities. :)

                  --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "cheenya" <katrina@...> wrote:
                  > ...two yahoo groups you may wish to join to explore this idea.

                • Katherine Throckmorton
                  Message 8 of 19 , Jun 7, 2012
                    In that case, it might be better to focus on interior, rather than exterior
                    accuracy. As other posters pointed out, its likely that you'd need to park
                    your RV in the parking lot, or in RV parking, so even if you made a cover
                    for it, the ambiance outside of the RV would be lacking. But if you're
                    already looking at doing a gut-remodel, it might be worthwhile to do the
                    inside in as period a style as possible, so that once you go inside, you
                    seem to be inside a snug medieval house. Sort of like how we often have
                    events at modern churches and schools, but do our best to decorate the
                    interiors to be less glaringly modern.

                    -Katherine

                  • annakaiara
                    Message 9 of 19 , Jun 8, 2012
                      OH, that is an awesome idea! Constantinople, 1000AD, Rule of Basil II, Byzantium. I would need to figure out how to do this and still have the interior so that hubby is happy with it too. A challenge--neat!

                      --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, Katherine Throckmorton <katherine.throckmorton@...> wrote:

                      > In that case, it might be better to focus on interior, rather than
                      > exterior accuracy.... if you're already looking at doing a
                      > gut-remodel, it might be worthwhile to do the inside in as period
                      > a style as possible, so that once you go inside, you seem to be
                      > inside a snug medieval house.

                    • MITCHELL J BARTON
                      Message 10 of 19 , Jun 10, 2012
                        Oh now that could be so much fun! The one we use belongs to my brother so we cant make those kind of changes but I will have to think of things that could be done to make it more period inside that can be removed like bedding and window coverings. Thanks for the ideas
                        Ratiri in Atenveldt

                      • annakaiara
                        Message 11 of 19 , Jun 14, 2012
                          Hubby and I have been discussing and he wants to keep a large portion simply open. I think I could use a trunk of fabrics to drape inside to help with period, I also think a lot of it will end up "rustic" which will fit right into my own persona. One of the cool things about Byzantine era is that they wore their wealth more than lived with it. Fabrics were everywhere, but the furniture even in the Emperor's palaces was generally simple in design. The wealth showed more in the fabrics used in decorating so the simple trunk would be more richly draped by the wealthy and more simply draped or not draped at all by the average joe.

                          So just by hauling into the RV chairs and trunks like I'd put in a tent when doing period, I'll get a quick transformation.

                          Ratiri, be sure to share what you find works well! :)

                          Ann of Wellborn, called forgetful

                          --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "MITCHELL J BARTON" <rondoval@...> wrote: I will have to think of things that could be done to make it more period inside that can be removed like bedding and window coverings. Thanks for the ideas