Re: Authenticity good-- so how to hide the RV?

  • LJonthebay
    Message 1 of 19 , Jun 1, 2012
      --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, Ann Seeton <gakaiaraan@...> wrote:
      > I suspect the best thing I can do is have a tent in the camp for the day
      > and sleep in the parking area.
      >
      > Any ideas for how I might make it less offensively modern?

      Yes. Stop stressing over the nature of an RV to be an RV, park it in the RV parking area and set up a day shade if you need something camp-like closer to the main event activities.

      http://midtown.net/dragonwing/sunshade.htm are very popular in the West Kingdom and come in various sizes, however, you can do something very simple with a large canvas tarp, four poles, stakes and a bit of rope.
      http://www.wodefordhall.com/house.htm shows how I set up my wedge tent in a "lean-to" configuration, to give you an idea of how it would work.

      Saionji no Hana
      West Kingdom
    • bronwynmgn@aol.com
      Message 2 of 19 , Jun 1, 2012
        Honestly, most of the camping event sites in my area wouldn't be able to accommodate an RV, especially a large one, in the tent camping area anyway. In a number of cases, we're not even allowed to take cars off the paved and/or gravelled roads to unload, especially if the weather's been wet. Since most of our sites are rented camps, the site owners tell us where we can and cannot set up various things and take vehicles. Some campgrounds have designated RV sites and you could certainly set up in one of those if available; in most other cases you would be in the parking lot. And many of the sites do not have any sort of hook-ups for RVs.
        So, at least in my experience, in most cases you would be in the parking lot, and trying to camouflage the RV would be unnecessary. If I were going to try something, I would probably try to paint it to look like a house of the appropriate period (perhaps a stone house?) rather than something cutesy like a dragon. A dragon in amongst the tents is, after all, no more period than the RV itself.
        And I probably wouldn't bother with a tent for the event area, but probably some sort of shade covering that you could set up near the list field or whatever area you expect to spend the most time in. A fully enclosed tent really wouldn't be necessary.

        Brangwayna Morgan

        Message 3 of 19 , Jun 1, 2012
          Why not make a trailer cozy? Since your house is big, you could paint it
          to look a medieval inn or hostel, as best suits you and your culture and
          time period. After all, you are traveling.

          Arlys

          > My main problem is that I like authenticity but hate tents. I own a huge
          > white RV. I want to do something with it to make it less offensive. I
          > thought about painting it up like a gypsy wagon but those are really not
          > period, cool and old fashioned as they appear. I considered painting it to
          > look like a sleeping dragon with a sign, "enchanted dragon please do not
          > disturb" and make it funny. I thought about giving it black beams and
          > making it look tudor, but that doesn't fit with the persona.
          >
          > I suspect the best thing I can do is have a tent in the camp for the day
          > and sleep in the parking area.
          >
          > Any ideas for how I might make it less offensively modern?
          >
          > Ann of Wellborn, called Forgetful

        • Ann Seeton
          Message 4 of 19 , Jun 1, 2012
            cozy? That would be one HUGE cozy.

            But if I did macrame to create diamond panes for over the window areas, and
            padded rope for over the top and to hold the side and end panels. It would
            need to have some way to peg the bottom to the ground, and durable enough
            material to hold up in the wind when parked at an event.... If top and
            bottom and corners had sleeves for PVC pipe, then...

            But painted. Do they make paint that is flexible enough that this could be
            done on canvas and rolled up?

            On Fri, Jun 1, 2012 at 12:33 PM, Cynthia Ley <Cley56@...> wrote:

            > Why not make a trailer cozy? Since your house is big, you could paint it
            > to look a medieval inn or hostel, as best suits you and your culture and
            > time period. After all, you are traveling.
            >
            > Arlys
            >

            > My main problem is that I like authenticity but hate tents. I own a
            > huge
            > white RV. I want to do something with it to make it less offensive. I
            > thought about painting it up like a gypsy wagon but those are really not
            > period, cool and old fashioned as they appear. I considered painting it to
            > look like a sleeping dragon with a sign, "enchanted dragon please do not
            > disturb" and make it funny. I thought about giving it black beams and
            > making it look tudor, but that doesn't fit with the persona.
            >
            > I suspect the best thing I can do is have a tent in the camp for the day
            > and sleep in the parking area.
            >
            > Any ideas for how I might make it less offensively modern?
            >
            > Ann of Wellborn, called Forgetful

          • Susanne Hibbert
            Message 5 of 19 , Jun 1, 2012
              Love the sleeping dragon idea.....I have also seen painted canvas covering a small travel trailer. It was painted to look like a fence with a blue sky above. Saw a tent painted to look like a garden,she is still adding to it every year.
              I used "walls" one year. They where made of canvas with channels to hold upright closet poles in "portable holes".
              We put a trailer behind that one year, and for many years have hid "modern" tents out of view. Each wall is twelve feet long, with three channels and poles. This way it can "turn corners" if necessary. We have a large period encampment and we created a back wall in two sections with a 12'foot wall section just in front spaced about 3' back. -------_______--------    You don't see anything but wall that way. One year we put a drape to cover the opening in the "walls". We like it both ways. We always meant to decorate the walls, now numbering 10, but never did. Too many other things to do.
              Have fun
              Susana

              ________________________________

              Message 6 of 19 , Jun 1, 2012
                The sleeping dragon idea gives me the shivers. You know, since we're talking about authenticity and all. Medieval people, other than the most deeply ignorant, knew dragons were mythical beasts.

                Park it out of sight. End of problem.

                Eadric the Potter

                Message 7 of 19 , Jun 1, 2012
                  On 6/1/2012 11:03 AM, Ann Seeton wrote:

                  > cozy? That would be one HUGE cozy.
                  >
                  > But if I did macrame to create diamond panes for over the window
                  > areas, and
                  > padded rope for over the top and to hold the side and end panels. It would
                  > need to have some way to peg the bottom to the ground, and durable enough
                  > material to hold up in the wind when parked at an event.... If top and
                  > bottom and corners had sleeves for PVC pipe, then...
                  >
                  > But painted. Do they make paint that is flexible enough that this could be
                  > done on canvas and rolled up?

                  I know folks who have done it using house paint.

                  Do you get TI? A few issues back, there was an article on how to make
                  hangings to cover mundanities as are found in hotels--I'm willing to bet
                  you can pick up some helpful tips from it. It's the sort of thing where
                  I've seen the results, but I've never had occasion to actually do it.

                  I have also heard that it is possible to get painter's cloths on the
                  cheap, and those things are big.

                  Is this is how you decide to go, you could draft the design and make a
                  group project out of it too. Be a fun way to share a project and learn
                  how to do it. :-)

                  Where do you hail from?

                  Arlys in Three Mountains (Portland), An Tir

                  Message 8 of 19 , Jun 1, 2012
                    On 6/1/2012 11:31 AM, Robert Van Rens wrote:

                    > The sleeping dragon idea gives me the shivers. You know, since we're
                    > talking about authenticity and all. Medieval people, other than the
                    > most deeply ignorant, knew dragons were mythical beasts.
                    >
                    > Park it out of sight. End of problem.
                    >
                    > Eadric the Potter

                    Depends who you talk to. :-) In medieval England, dragons were better
                    known as great "wyrms," and sightings were not all that unusual. Read
                    the histories.

                    Arlys

                  • Susanne Hibbert
                    Message 9 of 19 , Jun 1, 2012
                      Darma Trading has very wide scenery canvas and other extra wide and relatively cheap canvases. They have reduced rate the more you buy. They also carry many fabric paints and dyes. They are online. I was introduced to this company many years ago. Take a look and get inspired.
                      Brother Timothy of An Tir and Artimisia fame uses good quality house paint and it works for him. One pavilion top was painted a bright yellow many years ago. Anytime it gets very dirty, he re-paints it. He has had no pealing or cracking and it is only a bit faded. He also painted the dags on another pavilion with cheap black house paint. Again no complaints. You should run a test piece first.....
                      Susana
                      PS Americana paints are useable on any and all surfaces. I did some stenciling and stamping on the first set of "walls". That was ten years ago, and I wash them once a year!

                      ________________________________

                    • lilinah@earthlink.net
                      Message 10 of 19 , Jun 2, 2012
                        Ann of Wellborn wrote:
                        My main problem is that I like authenticity but hate tents. I own a huge
                        white RV. I want to do something with it to make it less offensive. I
                        thought about painting it up like a gypsy wagon but those are really not
                        period, cool and old fashioned as they appear. I considered painting it to
                        look like a sleeping dragon with a sign, "enchanted dragon please do not
                        disturb" and make it funny. I thought about giving it black beams and
                        making it look tudor, but that doesn't fit with the persona.

                        I suspect the best thing I can do is have a tent in the camp for the day
                        and sleep in the parking area.

                        Any ideas for how I might make it less offensively modern?

                        -----

                        If you are interested in authenticity, then a cosy for your RV will not deliver.

                        Cosies for vehicles are a "cute" idea in the SCA, but they are only historically accurate if you are studying SCA-isms.

                        I've seen enough. Some have been artfully painted, some have not, some have been downright crude or silly. But whether aesthetic or awkward, beautiful or botched, they look like what they are: decorated cloth covers over vehicles or trailers.

                        I think you don't need to put a costume on your RV.

                        Park it in the parking lot or RV section at your event. Let it be what it is: a modern conveyance whose convenience and comforts you enjoy.

                        Having a sunshade on site is a very good idea and a number of relatively simple good ones have been given. A small version of the West Kingdom BC (Battle Cruiser) can be erected by two people or even one with experience. Saionji no Hana's wedge tent as lean-to can be put up by one person.

                        Enjoy your RV and don't put it in a dress, i say.

                        Urtatim (that's err-tah-TEEM)
                        the persona formerly known as Anahita
                      • LJonthebay
                        Message 11 of 19 , Jun 2, 2012
                          As the SCA ages, RV camping has become more prevalent. Some folks have medical needs or just plain shouldn't be sleeping on pallets in tents under adverse conditions.

                          At the camping events I attend, motor vehicles of any kind are only allowed into camp for unloading and unloading and should otherwise be kept in the designated parking area. At larger events, there's usually an area designated for RVs to pitch camp.

                          Before you go to the trouble/time/expense of upholstering the exterior of your RV, what are the rules for RVs at the events you're likely to attend? I suspect your time, skills and hobby money would be better spent on other things.

                          Two sen worth,
                          Saionji no Hana, West Kingdom
                        • JL Badgley
                          Message 12 of 19 , Jun 3, 2012
                            I am usually familiar with Pennsic rules, where trailers are accepted if
                            they are disguised. I've seen some nice houses done on trailers that make
                            me think it is doable, but you have to consider your materials. I have a
                            dream of doing a house trailer at some point. Since it doesn't have its
                            own engine, these trailers don't count as "motor" vehicles, so that may
                            fall outside of what you are considering.

                            It takes a lot of work, and it has almost always been a case of building a
                            new structure on a flat trailer rather than hiding an existing RV. I also
                            don't know how many events it might be or not be feasible for.

                            -Ii
                            On Jun 2, 2012 8:52 PM, "LJonthebay" <wodeford@...> wrote:

                            > **
                            >

                            > As the SCA ages, RV camping has become more prevalent. Some folks have
                            > medical needs or just plain shouldn't be sleeping on pallets in tents under
                            > adverse conditions.
                            >
                            > At the camping events I attend, motor vehicles of any kind are only
                            > allowed into camp for unloading and unloading and should otherwise be kept
                            > in the designated parking area. At larger events, there's usually an area
                            > designated for RVs to pitch camp.
                            >
                            > Before you go to the trouble/time/expense of upholstering the exterior of
                            > your RV, what are the rules for RVs at the events you're likely to attend?
                            > I suspect your time, skills and hobby money would be better spent on other
                            > things.
                            >
                            > Two sen worth,
                            > Saionji no Hana, West Kingdom

                          • cheenya
                            Message 13 of 19 , Jun 6, 2012
                              I will admit that I didn't read the entire original thread, so this may have been mentioned, but in case it wasn't, there are two yahoo groups you may wish to join to explore this idea.
                              and
                              http://groups.yahoo.com/group/pennsic_homes
                              They both have people who have done lots of research and who are happy to share ideas and experience.

                              YIS
                              -katrina
                            • annakaiara
                              Message 14 of 19 , Jun 7, 2012
                                Thanks, these look like fun. I appreciate the direction. I think I may end up simply packing a nice pavilion to set up with my Shire and wander back to the parking lot for a night in comfort.

                                I wish I could turn my van into a gypsy wagon and drape something over the cab. :)

                                But the RV is too big for that. Not that I will be showing up at any events with my big cloud anytime soon, very nearly the entire interior needs to be gutted. We bought it because the transmission alone is worth what we paid. The engine is good and the chasis is excellent. But there are issues with the rest of it such as: the bathroom needs IMO to be gutted and redone completely, the entire cooking apparatus is a microwave and there are FIVE desks and no beds. This is a dream project and the interior is mine to imagine.

                                It is a huge rectangular shape on wheels, plain white and rather ugly but the possibilities, ah, yes, the possibilities. :)

                                --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "cheenya" <katrina@...> wrote:
                                > ...two yahoo groups you may wish to join to explore this idea.

                              • Katherine Throckmorton
                                Message 15 of 19 , Jun 7, 2012
                                  In that case, it might be better to focus on interior, rather than exterior
                                  accuracy. As other posters pointed out, its likely that you'd need to park
                                  your RV in the parking lot, or in RV parking, so even if you made a cover
                                  for it, the ambiance outside of the RV would be lacking. But if you're
                                  already looking at doing a gut-remodel, it might be worthwhile to do the
                                  inside in as period a style as possible, so that once you go inside, you
                                  seem to be inside a snug medieval house. Sort of like how we often have
                                  events at modern churches and schools, but do our best to decorate the
                                  interiors to be less glaringly modern.

                                  -Katherine

                                • annakaiara
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Jun 8, 2012
                                    OH, that is an awesome idea! Constantinople, 1000AD, Rule of Basil II, Byzantium. I would need to figure out how to do this and still have the interior so that hubby is happy with it too. A challenge--neat!

                                    --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, Katherine Throckmorton <katherine.throckmorton@...> wrote:

                                    > In that case, it might be better to focus on interior, rather than
                                    > exterior accuracy.... if you're already looking at doing a
                                    > gut-remodel, it might be worthwhile to do the inside in as period
                                    > a style as possible, so that once you go inside, you seem to be
                                    > inside a snug medieval house.

                                  • MITCHELL J BARTON
                                    Message 17 of 19 , Jun 10, 2012
                                      Oh now that could be so much fun! The one we use belongs to my brother so we cant make those kind of changes but I will have to think of things that could be done to make it more period inside that can be removed like bedding and window coverings. Thanks for the ideas
                                      Ratiri in Atenveldt

                                    • annakaiara
                                      Message 18 of 19 , Jun 14, 2012
                                        Hubby and I have been discussing and he wants to keep a large portion simply open. I think I could use a trunk of fabrics to drape inside to help with period, I also think a lot of it will end up "rustic" which will fit right into my own persona. One of the cool things about Byzantine era is that they wore their wealth more than lived with it. Fabrics were everywhere, but the furniture even in the Emperor's palaces was generally simple in design. The wealth showed more in the fabrics used in decorating so the simple trunk would be more richly draped by the wealthy and more simply draped or not draped at all by the average joe.

                                        So just by hauling into the RV chairs and trunks like I'd put in a tent when doing period, I'll get a quick transformation.

                                        Ratiri, be sure to share what you find works well! :)

                                        Ann of Wellborn, called forgetful

                                        --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "MITCHELL J BARTON" <rondoval@...> wrote: I will have to think of things that could be done to make it more period inside that can be removed like bedding and window coverings. Thanks for the ideas