Re: [Authentic_SCA] Early Tudor Costume

  • Elizabeth W
    Message 1 of 9 , May 24, 2012
      The Tudor Tailor group has recently published a book on this period
      'The Queen's Servants: Gentlewomen's dress at the accession of Henry VIII'
      http://www.tudortailor.com/bookshoptqs.shtml
      It's focussed on the later end of your goal period (as Henry VIII took
      the throne in 1509) but it's definitely a good resource to have on
      hand if you want to continue with this period. It doesn't cover all
      classes, only the gentry class and above as it's based on information
      from the Royal Wardrobe accounts and the only women given an official
      place at court were there as companion to the female members of the
      Royal family (the dirty practical work like washing, cooking etc. was
      all done by men)
      Also if you don't like the thought of scaling up patterns from the
      book they do have full size patterns for sale on their website.

      Elizabeth

      On 5/25/12, ssd0231 <sstoval3@...> wrote:
      > Hello all,
      > My mother has decided (finally) on a time period unfortunately its pretty
      > narrow and not one I'm at all familiar with. Its 1480s-1510s, so basically
      > Henry VII's rein. She likes the early style gable hood and dress style
      > Elizabeth of York is portrayed in. Can anyone help me with documentation?
      > Its not for a competition or anything but I want to get it right.
      >
      > Thanks, Sarah

      Elizabeth Walpole
      http://magpiecostumer.wordpress.com/
      http://magpiecostumer.110mb.com/
    • Isabella D'Angelo
      Message 2 of 9 , May 25, 2012
        Hello!

        I would suggest the Period Pattern No. 51.

        http://stores.renstore.com/-strse-283/Early-Tudor-Patterns-for/Detail.bok

        However,t here are several other patterns out there that are easy to tailor or work well as is for the early Tudor dress.

        http://www.kimiko1.com/research-16th/TudorWomen/index.html

        The website above should help you with documentation. She has provided a lot of illuminations and portraits from that era.

        Sincerely,

        Isabella

        --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "ssd0231" <sstoval3@...> wrote:

        > Hello all,
        > My mother has decided (finally) on a time period unfortunately its pretty narrow and not one I'm at all familiar with. Its 1480s-1510s, so basically Henry VII's rein. She likes the early style gable hood and dress style Elizabeth of York is portrayed in. Can anyone help me with documentation? Its not for a competition or anything but I want to get it right.
        >
        > Thanks, Sarah

      • Susanne Hibbert
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 1, 2012
          Both of these sources are perfect for "early Tudor". Much simpler than later Tudor. I think a headdress is so important to carry off the impression....there are other headdresses besides a gable. A beginner might have problems with fitting. The patterns available are of little help, getting in some millinery time is useful. The Tudors Apprentice has references that are better than most and show how to manage the hair that keeps the gable in place.  You might get a look at that as a start.
          Susana

          ________________________________
          I would suggest the Period Pattern No. 51.

          http://stores.renstore.com/-strse-283/Early-Tudor-Patterns-for/Detail.bok

          However,t here are several other patterns out there that are easy to tailor or work well as is for the early Tudor dress.

          http://www.kimiko1.com/research-16th/TudorWomen/index.html

          The website above should help you with documentation. She has provided a lot of illuminations and portraits from that era.

          Sincerely,

          Isabella

          --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "ssd0231" <sstoval3@...> wrote:

          > Hello all,
          > My mother has decided (finally) on a time period unfortunately its pretty narrow and not one I'm at all familiar with. Its 1480s-1510s, so basically Henry VII's rein. She likes the early style gable hood and dress style Elizabeth of York is portrayed in. Can anyone help me with documentation? Its not for a competition or anything but I want to get it right.
          >
          > Thanks, Sarah

        • Cynthia Ley
          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 1, 2012
            I may be disremembering the exact title, but I believe there is a book
            out called "The Tudor Tailor" which covers the earlier Henrican stuff.
            It got good reviews, as I recall.

            Arlys

            > Both of these sources are perfect for "early Tudor". Much simpler than
            > later Tudor. I think a headdress is so important to carry off the
            > impression....there are other headdresses besides a gable. A beginner
            > might have problems with fitting. The patterns available are of little
            > help, getting in some millinery time is useful. The Tudors Apprentice
            > has references that are better than most and show how to manage the
            > hair that keeps the gable in place. You might get a look at that as a
            > start.
            > Susana
            >
            > ________________________________
            > From: Isabella D'Angelo <isabelladangelo@...

          • Catherine Olanich Raymond
            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 1, 2012
              On 06/01/2012 04:02 PM, Cynthia Ley wrote:
              > I may be disremembering the exact title, but I believe there is a book
              > out called "The Tudor Tailor" which covers the earlier Henrican stuff.
              > It got good reviews, as I recall.

              There's even more information in "The Queen's Servants," newly published
              by the same people as "The Tudor Tailor." It's pricey for the size (56
              pages and an average price of about $35 USD) but I got to look through
              it and it's packed with useful information, including a few pattern
              sketches--including headdress sketches.

              The cheapest source for "The Queen's Servants" that I know of is
              Potboiler Press (Googling will get you the URL quickly). Good luck!

              --
              Cathy Raymond
              cathy@...

              "Even imperfection itself may have its ideal or perfect state."
              --Thomas de Quincey
            • Susanne Hibbert
              Message 6 of 9 , Jun 1, 2012
                My bad......that is the correct title. I've over forty-five years of collecting costuming book in different languages.
                Thanks,
                Susana

                ________________________________
                I may be disremembering the exact title, but I believe there is a book
                out called "The Tudor Tailor" which covers the earlier Henrican stuff.
                It got good reviews, as I recall.

                Arlys

                > Both of these sources are perfect for "early Tudor". Much simpler than
                > later Tudor. I think a headdress is so important to carry off the
                > impression....there are other headdresses besides a gable. A beginner
                > might have problems with fitting. The patterns available are of little
                > help, getting in some millinery time is useful. The Tudors Apprentice
                > has references that are better than most and show how to manage the
                > hair that keeps the gable in place. You might get a look at that as a
                > start.
                > Susana
                >
                > ________________________________
                > From: Isabella D'Angelo <isabelladangelo@...

              • Robin Colleen Moore
                Message 7 of 9 , Jun 2, 2012
                  Not only is _The Tudor Tailor_ a fascinating book, but the authors have since put out two more books that might be of more help to the original poster--_The King's Servants_ and _The Queen's Servants_, both of which cover early Tudor period clothing (1485-1520) as worn by, well, servants to Their Majesties during that time. (Overall, the men's clothing runs a bit lower in terms of social class than the women's, as while virtually all the ladies waiting on the queens were gentlewomen if not actually noble, the same wasn't necessarily true of the men; it's not at all hard, though, to figure out what a gentleman or nobleman would have worn using the book.) They're much shorter books than TTT, and rather pricey (IIRC, my copy of _The Queen's Servants_ ran me around $42 on Amazon), but IMO are very much worth it if you're interested in this particular time period. You can buy the books both on Amazon and at tudortailor.com; it took my book about 5-6 weeks to get here.

                  Hope this helps,

                  Robin de la Pesterye

                  From: Cynthia Ley <cley56@...>

                  I may be disremembering the exact title, but I believe there is a book

                  out called "The Tudor Tailor" which covers the earlier Henrican stuff.

                  It got good reviews, as I recall.

                  Arlys

                  > Both of these sources are perfect for "early Tudor". Much simpler than

                  > later Tudor. I think a headdress is so important to carry off the

                  > impression....there are other headdresses besides a gable. A beginner

                  > might have problems with fitting. The patterns available are of little

                  > help, getting in some millinery time is useful. The Tudors Apprentice

                  > has references that are better than most and show how to manage the

                  > hair that keeps the gable in place. You might get a look at that as a

                  > start.

                  > Susana

                  > From: Isabella D'Angelo <isabelladangelo@...

                  > <mailto:isabelladangelo%40gmail.com>>

                  Coach Bob was right: you've got to get obsessed and stay obsessed. You've got to keep passing the open windows. -- John Irving, <i>The Hotel New Hampshire</i>
                • Susanne Hibbert
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jun 2, 2012
                    Thank you for posting the new books!

                    Susana