Re: use of applique in period banners

  • Karen
    Message 1 of 4 , May 16, 2012
      Elizabeth asked:
      > Does anyone know of a good source of information on the use of
      > appliqué in period banners?

      Sure -- check out
      http://larsdatter.com/applique.htm
      There aren't many appliquéd banners, but there are a few (as well as other heraldic bits done as appliqué).

      The modern type of resist-painted silk is not the same technique as was used on western European painted banners, anyway. ;-)  See http://destrier.net/astonhall/article_medieval_painted_flags.20070501.pdf for more information on painted banners (as well as other techniques used on medieval banners).

      For that particular heraldry, I'd recommend doing each element as a separate embroidered element (so you can get the details right without having to piece together all those little waves) and then applying it to a solid-colored ground (that is, of course, split between two backgrounds really, the yellow and the blue) -- assuming, of course, that you have a few embroiderers who might be willing to work together on this.

      Karen Larsdatter
      www.larsdatter.com
    • Cristal Delamer
      Message 2 of 4 , May 16, 2012
        Contact Baroness Rebecca Mary Robinson, from Caid. She is an expert on
        medieval flags.
        You can contact her at astonhall@...

        Tell her I sent you.

        Mistress Cristal delaMer
        Caid

        On Tue, May 15, 2012 at 7:22 PM, Elizabeth W
        <elizabeth.r.walpole@...>wrote:

        > **
        >

        > Our College could do with a new war banner (as the old one is made of
        > cotton and very faded). The current plan is to appliqu� this design
        > http://lochac.sca.org/LRoA/Emblazons/Saint_Aldhelm_College_of.gif. For
        > the sake of a more colour fast fabric with the right sort of weight I
        > was thinking of probably using silk taffeta, or possibly dupion if it
        > is noticeably cheaper.
        > The articles I can find all seem to be about painted banners but as
        > this is a project that we're hoping to do in short (2 hour) stints
        > during our weekly meetings silk painting is not a very practical
        > option (as what I've read about silk painting suggests that the only
        > way to get relatively even colour across a large area is to make sure
        > it is all painted in one go and allowed to dry flat so the dye won't
        > pool or run).
        > Does anyone know of a good source of information on the use of
        > appliqu� in period banners?
        >
        > --
      • Quokkaqueen
        Message 3 of 4 , May 16, 2012
          <<snip>>
          > Does anyone know of a good source of information on the use of
          > appliqué in period banners?
          <<snip>>

          Some examples:

          Banner of the de Blonays, late 14th century http://web.ceu.hu/medstud/manual/SRM/herself.htm (click on the image for a nice, big photo and description)

          Tab from a larger banner: http://jameelcentre.ashmolean.org/collection/921/object/6295

          An applique'd Maltese cross: http://www.flg.es/ficha.asp?ID=3074

          You might have luck with these sites, although they often don't specify if it's applique or painting you're looking at:

          http://www.ugopozzati.it/Bandiere%20Borgogna.htm
          http://larsdatter.com/banners.htm

          Hope that at least points you in the right direction?
          ~Asfridhr