use of applique in period banners

  • Elizabeth W
    Message 1 of 4 , May 15, 2012
      Our College could do with a new war banner (as the old one is made of
      cotton and very faded). The current plan is to appliqué this design
      http://lochac.sca.org/LRoA/Emblazons/Saint_Aldhelm_College_of.gif. For
      the sake of a more colour fast fabric with the right sort of weight I
      was thinking of probably using silk taffeta, or possibly dupion if it
      is noticeably cheaper.
      The articles I can find all seem to be about painted banners but as
      this is a project that we're hoping to do in short (2 hour) stints
      during our weekly meetings silk painting is not a very practical
      option (as what I've read about silk painting suggests that the only
      way to get relatively even colour across a large area is to make sure
      it is all painted in one go and allowed to dry flat so the dye won't
      pool or run).
      Does anyone know of a good source of information on the use of
      appliqué in period banners?

      Elizabeth Walpole
      http://magpiecostumer.wordpress.com/
      http://magpiecostumer.110mb.com/
    • Karen
      Message 2 of 4 , May 16, 2012
        Elizabeth asked:
        > Does anyone know of a good source of information on the use of
        > appliqué in period banners?

        Sure -- check out
        http://larsdatter.com/applique.htm
        There aren't many appliquéd banners, but there are a few (as well as other heraldic bits done as appliqué).

        The modern type of resist-painted silk is not the same technique as was used on western European painted banners, anyway. ;-)  See http://destrier.net/astonhall/article_medieval_painted_flags.20070501.pdf for more information on painted banners (as well as other techniques used on medieval banners).

        For that particular heraldry, I'd recommend doing each element as a separate embroidered element (so you can get the details right without having to piece together all those little waves) and then applying it to a solid-colored ground (that is, of course, split between two backgrounds really, the yellow and the blue) -- assuming, of course, that you have a few embroiderers who might be willing to work together on this.

        Karen Larsdatter
        www.larsdatter.com
      • Cristal Delamer
        Message 3 of 4 , May 16, 2012
          Contact Baroness Rebecca Mary Robinson, from Caid. She is an expert on
          medieval flags.
          You can contact her at astonhall@...

          Tell her I sent you.

          Mistress Cristal delaMer
          Caid

          On Tue, May 15, 2012 at 7:22 PM, Elizabeth W
          <elizabeth.r.walpole@...>wrote:

          > **
          >

          > Our College could do with a new war banner (as the old one is made of
          > cotton and very faded). The current plan is to appliqu� this design
          > http://lochac.sca.org/LRoA/Emblazons/Saint_Aldhelm_College_of.gif. For
          > the sake of a more colour fast fabric with the right sort of weight I
          > was thinking of probably using silk taffeta, or possibly dupion if it
          > is noticeably cheaper.
          > The articles I can find all seem to be about painted banners but as
          > this is a project that we're hoping to do in short (2 hour) stints
          > during our weekly meetings silk painting is not a very practical
          > option (as what I've read about silk painting suggests that the only
          > way to get relatively even colour across a large area is to make sure
          > it is all painted in one go and allowed to dry flat so the dye won't
          > pool or run).
          > Does anyone know of a good source of information on the use of
          > appliqu� in period banners?
          >
          > --
        • Quokkaqueen
          Message 4 of 4 , May 16, 2012
            <<snip>>
            > Does anyone know of a good source of information on the use of
            > appliqué in period banners?
            <<snip>>

            Some examples:

            Banner of the de Blonays, late 14th century http://web.ceu.hu/medstud/manual/SRM/herself.htm (click on the image for a nice, big photo and description)

            Tab from a larger banner: http://jameelcentre.ashmolean.org/collection/921/object/6295

            An applique'd Maltese cross: http://www.flg.es/ficha.asp?ID=3074

            You might have luck with these sites, although they often don't specify if it's applique or painting you're looking at:

            http://www.ugopozzati.it/Bandiere%20Borgogna.htm
            http://larsdatter.com/banners.htm

            Hope that at least points you in the right direction?
            ~Asfridhr