Re: Period eyewear?

  • groomporter
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 28, 2012
      --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "catalinadegata" <gatanoz@...> wrote:

      > Anyone know where I might be able to purchase frames for Period Eyewear? I normally dance around the late 15th and early 16th century Mediterranean.
      >
      > Duenna Catalina de Gata

      I compromise with some 18th century style frames from Jas. Townsend & Son. Their frames are only $30. http://jas-townsend.com/index.php?cPath=46&osCsid=0e0c49dd1871317eff68ef5fd68016ba

      Chas
      --
      MacGregor Historic Games
      http://historicgames.com
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 28, 2012
        And the lenses? How will that work?

        - Cat the Nearsighted from Caldarium (West Kingdom)

        & I still can't figure post-trimming on tis stupid phone!

        +++++
        Innocentia nihil probat.

        On Feb 28, 2012, at 8:00 AM, "groomporter" <myspace@...> wrote:

        > --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "catalinadegata" <gatanoz@...> wrote:
        > >
        > > Anyone know where I might be able to purchase frames for Period Eyewear? I normally dance around the late 15th and early 16th century Mediterranean.
        > >
        > > Duenna Catalina de Gata
        > >

        > I compromise with some 18th century style frames from Jas. Townsend & Son. Their frames are only $30. http://jas-townsend.com/index.php?cPath=46&osCsid=0e0c49dd1871317eff68ef5fd68016ba
        >
        > Chas
        > --
        > MacGregor Historic Games
        > http://historicgames.com

      • Heather English
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 28, 2012
          From their Site "Clear sample lenses are included in the round 1-3/16 inch openings - ready to
          have your prescription installed at your local optometry shop. Yes, you can
          usually fit bifocals into them. "
          Theia

          ________________________________
          From: cat tillotson <iridaea@...>

          And the lenses? How will that work?

          - Cat the Nearsighted from Caldarium (West Kingdom)

          & I still can't figure post-trimming on tis stupid phone!

          +++++
          Innocentia nihil probat.

          On Feb 28, 2012, at 8:00 AM, "groomporter" <myspace@...> wrote:

          > I compromise with some 18th century style frames from Jas. Townsend & Son. Their frames are only $30. http://jas-townsend.com/index.php?cPath=46&osCsid=0e0c49dd1871317eff68ef5fd68016ba
          >
          > Chas

        • Folo Watkins
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 28, 2012
            >And the lenses? How will that work?

            When I purchased a pair twenty years ago for use in 18C reenacting,
            t5he lenses were easily replaced at Pearle Vision. They told me they
            did similar things all the time and showed me a pair of actual ACW
            spex they were replacing lenses in.

            Cheers, Folo
            www.micelfolcland.org
          • groomporter
            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 29, 2012
              Yup I had a local shop put my reading script into the 18th cent. frames I got from Jas Townsend. I recently saw some magnifying reading glasses done in 18th century frames as well for a reasonable price. I post if I can track them down again.

              Chas
              --
              MacGregor Historic Games
              http://historicgames.com