Re: [Authentic_SCA] Re: Seeking Spanish info

  • Beth
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 2, 2001
      This is an announcement for an event held in Meridies called Andalusian Extravaganza. I enjoyed the historical text and the link they provided for more information. Their focus seems to be dance.

      Ragnel

      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 7, 2001
        > Thank you! I'm a huge fan of themed events that expose people to something
        > new, and have run a few over the years, mostly from the Middle east or
        > Byzantium. They involve a lot of research and are a lot of work, but I
        > think are very well worth it.

        I've never been to a themed event, and I don't recall ever hearing of any
        where I am (in the West). However, a Maghrebi persona and I have been
        fantasizing about some day putting up a pavillion at an event for Medieval
        Spanish persona play, discussion of philosophy/science/theology/litereature,
        poetry reading, etc. If we ever do that, I'll certainly ask you for advice!

        > For this particular feast I'm looking at Moorish banners and tiraz curtains
        > for the walls, the floors will have rugs, cushions and a few low stools.
        > I'm considering making a latticework screen to seperate male and female
        > diners, but that may not end up being practical. Lighting will be provided
        > by several polycandelon/mosque lamps we have, and I'd like to have a go at
        > a really sexy pryamidal chandelier style based on an example in a Spanish
        > mosque. The food will be served on low tables in accordance with the
        > etiquette of Ziryab although I draw the line at fine leather being used for
        > tablecloths!), and I'm hoping to hire some green-glazed Islamic/Byzantine
        > serving dishes reconstructed from archeological finds by a local potter.
        > Knowing my kitchen team the food will be sumptuous and blessedly free of
        > non-period middle eastern items!

        Ahhhhh...that sounds so very cool! You've really done your research. I
        especially love the re-created pottery!

        > As well as that, I hope there will be lots of poetry reading, games (chess,
        > zatrikion, alquerque, sirret), I daresay plenty of lighthearted flirting
        > through the screen, music, singing and dancing. I hadn't thought of a
        > puppet show, but it's a good idea, if I'm not exhausted with all the
        > rest of the preperations!

        [writhing with frustration over not being able to attend]

        > It's in Sydney, Australia. Not very close to the bay area, but you've got
        > eight months to save up your plane fare and come over! :o)

        Umm, okay... Rats! Why do you have to live in Australia??

        Moshe
        Qu'er non es grazitz lunhs mestiers
        menhs en cort que de belh saber
        de trobar -- qu'auzir e vezer
        hi vol hom mais captenhs leugiers
        e critz mesclatz ab dezonor.

        --Guiraut Riquier, 1292
      • Stephen Higa
        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 7, 2001
          Re: [Authentic_SCA] Re: Seeking Spanish info aCtually, there was recently a discussion on the Medieval Spain eGroup as to the periodness (a word?) of "flamenco" dancing.  If anybody's interested, I'll forward some of the info. :)

          ----------
          From: "Beth" <ragnel@...>
          To: <Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com>
          Subject: Re: [Authentic_SCA] Re: Seeking Spanish info
          Date: Fri, Feb 2, 2001, 6:05 PM

          This is an announcement for an event held in Meridies called Andalusian Extravaganza. I enjoyed the historical text and the link they provided for more information. Their focus seems to be dance.

          http://seleone.webjump.com/andalusia.htm

          Ragnel

          > > have several books on Arabic and Islamic poetry, I was going to  calligraph
          > > several poems for guests to read.
          >Wow, you're going all out!  Congratulations on putting together something so
          >cool.

          Thank you! I'm a huge fan of themed events that expose people to something
          new, and have run a few over the years, mostly from the Middle east or
          Byzantium. They involve a lot of research and are a lot of work, but I
          think are very well worth it.

          For this particular feast I'm looking at Moorish banners and tiraz curtains
          for the walls, the floors will have rugs, cushions and a few low stools.
          I'm considering making a latticework screen to seperate male and female
          diners, but that may not end up being practical. Lighting will be provided
          by several polycandelon/mosque lamps we have, and I'd like to have a go at
          a really sexy pryamidal chandelier style based on an example in a Spanish
          mosque. The food will be served on low tables in accordance with the
          etiquette of Ziryab although I draw the line at fine leather being used for
          tablecloths!), and I'm hoping to hire some green-glazed Islamic/Byzantine
          serving dishes reconstructed from archeological finds by a local potter.
          Knowing my kitchen team the food will be sumptuous and blessedly free of
          non-period middle eastern items!

          As well as that, I hope there will be lots of poetry reading, games (chess,
          zatrikion, alquerque, sirret), I daresay plenty of lighthearted flirting
          through the screen, music, singing and dancing. I hadn't thought of a
          puppet show, but it's a good idea, if I'm not exhausted with all the
          rest  of the preperations!

          >Hey, where are you going to be putting it on?  If it's near the San
          >Francisco Bay Area, myself and some others would be happy to perform, I'm
          >sure. :)

          It's in Sydney, Australia. Not very close to the bay area, but you've got
          eight months to save up your plane fare and come over! :o)

          Giles

          This is the Authentic SCA eGroup

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          www..com