Re: Period eyewear?

  • Quokkaqueen
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 6, 2012
      <<snip>>
      > Anyone know where I might be able to purchase frames for Period Eyewear?
      <<snip>>

      My wooden rivet spectacle frames came from Sweetness and Light:
      http://www.candlemaker.org.uk/personal.htm

      And they looked like this: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v244/quokkaqueen/SDC11617.jpg

      But they are an extremely generic pair.

      Asfridhr
    • groomporter
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 28, 2012
        --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "catalinadegata" <gatanoz@...> wrote:

        > Anyone know where I might be able to purchase frames for Period Eyewear? I normally dance around the late 15th and early 16th century Mediterranean.
        >
        > Duenna Catalina de Gata

        I compromise with some 18th century style frames from Jas. Townsend & Son. Their frames are only $30. http://jas-townsend.com/index.php?cPath=46&osCsid=0e0c49dd1871317eff68ef5fd68016ba

        Chas
        --
        MacGregor Historic Games
        http://historicgames.com
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 28, 2012
          And the lenses? How will that work?

          - Cat the Nearsighted from Caldarium (West Kingdom)

          & I still can't figure post-trimming on tis stupid phone!

          +++++
          Innocentia nihil probat.

          On Feb 28, 2012, at 8:00 AM, "groomporter" <myspace@...> wrote:

          > --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "catalinadegata" <gatanoz@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > Anyone know where I might be able to purchase frames for Period Eyewear? I normally dance around the late 15th and early 16th century Mediterranean.
          > >
          > > Duenna Catalina de Gata
          > >

          > I compromise with some 18th century style frames from Jas. Townsend & Son. Their frames are only $30. http://jas-townsend.com/index.php?cPath=46&osCsid=0e0c49dd1871317eff68ef5fd68016ba
          >
          > Chas
          > --
          > MacGregor Historic Games
          > http://historicgames.com

        • Heather English
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 28, 2012
            From their Site "Clear sample lenses are included in the round 1-3/16 inch openings - ready to
            have your prescription installed at your local optometry shop. Yes, you can
            usually fit bifocals into them. "
            Theia

            ________________________________
            From: cat tillotson <iridaea@...>

            And the lenses? How will that work?

            - Cat the Nearsighted from Caldarium (West Kingdom)

            & I still can't figure post-trimming on tis stupid phone!

            +++++
            Innocentia nihil probat.

            On Feb 28, 2012, at 8:00 AM, "groomporter" <myspace@...> wrote:

            > I compromise with some 18th century style frames from Jas. Townsend & Son. Their frames are only $30. http://jas-townsend.com/index.php?cPath=46&osCsid=0e0c49dd1871317eff68ef5fd68016ba
            >
            > Chas

          • Folo Watkins
            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 28, 2012
              >And the lenses? How will that work?

              When I purchased a pair twenty years ago for use in 18C reenacting,
              t5he lenses were easily replaced at Pearle Vision. They told me they
              did similar things all the time and showed me a pair of actual ACW
              spex they were replacing lenses in.

              Cheers, Folo
              www.micelfolcland.org
            • groomporter
              Message 6 of 8 , Feb 29, 2012
                Yup I had a local shop put my reading script into the 18th cent. frames I got from Jas Townsend. I recently saw some magnifying reading glasses done in 18th century frames as well for a reasonable price. I post if I can track them down again.

                Chas
                --
                MacGregor Historic Games
                http://historicgames.com