Re: [Authentic_SCA] Period eyewear?

  • Brad Moore
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 6 6:25 PM
      Duenna Catalina,

      This is the only place I know of at the moment:  http://periodglasses.com/.

      Je Reste,

      Dans Service au Reve,

      Nicolas

      Brad Moore

      "If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."
      - J.R.R. Tolkien

    • Quokkaqueen
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 6 10:06 PM
        <<snip>>
        > Anyone know where I might be able to purchase frames for Period Eyewear?
        <<snip>>

        My wooden rivet spectacle frames came from Sweetness and Light:
        http://www.candlemaker.org.uk/personal.htm

        And they looked like this: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v244/quokkaqueen/SDC11617.jpg

        But they are an extremely generic pair.

        Asfridhr
      • groomporter
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 28 8:00 AM
          --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "catalinadegata" <gatanoz@...> wrote:

          > Anyone know where I might be able to purchase frames for Period Eyewear? I normally dance around the late 15th and early 16th century Mediterranean.
          >
          > Duenna Catalina de Gata

          I compromise with some 18th century style frames from Jas. Townsend & Son. Their frames are only $30. http://jas-townsend.com/index.php?cPath=46&osCsid=0e0c49dd1871317eff68ef5fd68016ba

          Chas
          --
          MacGregor Historic Games
          http://historicgames.com
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 28 9:43 AM
            And the lenses? How will that work?

            - Cat the Nearsighted from Caldarium (West Kingdom)

            & I still can't figure post-trimming on tis stupid phone!

            +++++
            Innocentia nihil probat.

            On Feb 28, 2012, at 8:00 AM, "groomporter" <myspace@...> wrote:

            > --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "catalinadegata" <gatanoz@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > Anyone know where I might be able to purchase frames for Period Eyewear? I normally dance around the late 15th and early 16th century Mediterranean.
            > >
            > > Duenna Catalina de Gata
            > >

            > I compromise with some 18th century style frames from Jas. Townsend & Son. Their frames are only $30. http://jas-townsend.com/index.php?cPath=46&osCsid=0e0c49dd1871317eff68ef5fd68016ba
            >
            > Chas
            > --
            > MacGregor Historic Games
            > http://historicgames.com

          • Heather English
            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 28 9:48 AM
              From their Site "Clear sample lenses are included in the round 1-3/16 inch openings - ready to
              have your prescription installed at your local optometry shop. Yes, you can
              usually fit bifocals into them. "
              Theia

              ________________________________
              From: cat tillotson <iridaea@...>

              And the lenses? How will that work?

              - Cat the Nearsighted from Caldarium (West Kingdom)

              & I still can't figure post-trimming on tis stupid phone!

              +++++
              Innocentia nihil probat.

              On Feb 28, 2012, at 8:00 AM, "groomporter" <myspace@...> wrote:

              > I compromise with some 18th century style frames from Jas. Townsend & Son. Their frames are only $30. http://jas-townsend.com/index.php?cPath=46&osCsid=0e0c49dd1871317eff68ef5fd68016ba
              >
              > Chas

            • Folo Watkins
              Message 6 of 8 , Feb 28 9:56 AM
                >And the lenses? How will that work?

                When I purchased a pair twenty years ago for use in 18C reenacting,
                t5he lenses were easily replaced at Pearle Vision. They told me they
                did similar things all the time and showed me a pair of actual ACW
                spex they were replacing lenses in.

                Cheers, Folo
                www.micelfolcland.org
              • groomporter
                Message 7 of 8 , Feb 29 7:31 AM
                  Yup I had a local shop put my reading script into the 18th cent. frames I got from Jas Townsend. I recently saw some magnifying reading glasses done in 18th century frames as well for a reasonable price. I post if I can track them down again.

                  Chas
                  --
                  MacGregor Historic Games
                  http://historicgames.com