Period eyewear?

  • catalinadegata
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 6, 2012
      Anyone know where I might be able to purchase frames for Period Eyewear? I normally dance around the late 15th and early 16th century Mediterranean.

      Duenna Catalina de Gata
    • Brad Moore
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 6, 2012
        Duenna Catalina,

        This is the only place I know of at the moment:  http://periodglasses.com/.

        Je Reste,

        Dans Service au Reve,

        Nicolas

        Brad Moore

        "If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."
        - J.R.R. Tolkien

      • Quokkaqueen
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 6, 2012
          <<snip>>
          > Anyone know where I might be able to purchase frames for Period Eyewear?
          <<snip>>

          My wooden rivet spectacle frames came from Sweetness and Light:
          http://www.candlemaker.org.uk/personal.htm

          And they looked like this: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v244/quokkaqueen/SDC11617.jpg

          But they are an extremely generic pair.

          Asfridhr
        • groomporter
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 28, 2012
            --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "catalinadegata" <gatanoz@...> wrote:

            > Anyone know where I might be able to purchase frames for Period Eyewear? I normally dance around the late 15th and early 16th century Mediterranean.
            >
            > Duenna Catalina de Gata

            I compromise with some 18th century style frames from Jas. Townsend & Son. Their frames are only $30. http://jas-townsend.com/index.php?cPath=46&osCsid=0e0c49dd1871317eff68ef5fd68016ba

            Chas
            --
            MacGregor Historic Games
            http://historicgames.com
            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 28, 2012
              And the lenses? How will that work?

              - Cat the Nearsighted from Caldarium (West Kingdom)

              & I still can't figure post-trimming on tis stupid phone!

              +++++
              Innocentia nihil probat.

              On Feb 28, 2012, at 8:00 AM, "groomporter" <myspace@...> wrote:

              > --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "catalinadegata" <gatanoz@...> wrote:
              > >
              > > Anyone know where I might be able to purchase frames for Period Eyewear? I normally dance around the late 15th and early 16th century Mediterranean.
              > >
              > > Duenna Catalina de Gata
              > >

              > I compromise with some 18th century style frames from Jas. Townsend & Son. Their frames are only $30. http://jas-townsend.com/index.php?cPath=46&osCsid=0e0c49dd1871317eff68ef5fd68016ba
              >
              > Chas
              > --
              > MacGregor Historic Games
              > http://historicgames.com

            • Heather English
              Message 6 of 8 , Feb 28, 2012
                From their Site "Clear sample lenses are included in the round 1-3/16 inch openings - ready to
                have your prescription installed at your local optometry shop. Yes, you can
                usually fit bifocals into them. "
                Theia

                ________________________________
                From: cat tillotson <iridaea@...>

                And the lenses? How will that work?

                - Cat the Nearsighted from Caldarium (West Kingdom)

                & I still can't figure post-trimming on tis stupid phone!

                +++++
                Innocentia nihil probat.

                On Feb 28, 2012, at 8:00 AM, "groomporter" <myspace@...> wrote:

                > I compromise with some 18th century style frames from Jas. Townsend & Son. Their frames are only $30. http://jas-townsend.com/index.php?cPath=46&osCsid=0e0c49dd1871317eff68ef5fd68016ba
                >
                > Chas

              • Folo Watkins
                Message 7 of 8 , Feb 28, 2012
                  >And the lenses? How will that work?

                  When I purchased a pair twenty years ago for use in 18C reenacting,
                  t5he lenses were easily replaced at Pearle Vision. They told me they
                  did similar things all the time and showed me a pair of actual ACW
                  spex they were replacing lenses in.

                  Cheers, Folo
                  www.micelfolcland.org
                • groomporter
                  Message 8 of 8 , Feb 29, 2012
                    Yup I had a local shop put my reading script into the 18th cent. frames I got from Jas Townsend. I recently saw some magnifying reading glasses done in 18th century frames as well for a reasonable price. I post if I can track them down again.

                    Chas
                    --
                    MacGregor Historic Games
                    http://historicgames.com