Re: [Authentic_SCA] 2013 Trip to Kentwell Hall, Hampton Court and V&A New Textile Exhibit

  • Tudorpot
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 30, 2012
      I am leaving for London, Paris in late April this year. Plan to visit most of what you have put, also British Musuem, British Library, Bath, Stonehenge. Will look into Kentwell Hall. In France, I plan on Louvre, Cluny Musuem. Skipping Versailles in favour of Chinon and Loire Valley chateaus/castles, medieval paper mill, and perhaps period reconstruction of Medieval castle at ­Chateau de Guedelon.
      I've booked all my accom and flights etc via internet.

      Theadora

      On 2012-01-30, at 8:29 PM, Cilean_69 wrote:

      > Hello Everyone,
      >
      > I am mentioning this now, but due to it being way to far in advance, we are looking to getting out to England in 2013, we are hoping to visit
      >
      > V&A's new Textile wing
      > Harrods for High Tea
      > Hampton Court
      > Kentwell Hall's Tudor Days
      > Tours of London
      >
      > Added event:
      > Small added Tour to Pairs/ Versilles
      > Louvre Museum
    • Elizabeth W
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 30, 2012
        When is this trip planned? I'm tentatively looking at the possibility
        of going to the UK in August 2013 (depending on finances) and meeting
        up with like minded people for a day or two while I'm there would be
        nice.

        On Tue, Jan 31, 2012 at 12:29 PM, Cilean_69 <cilean@...> wrote:
        > Hello Everyone,
        >
        > I am mentioning this now, but due to it being way to far in advance, we are looking to getting out to England in 2013, we are hoping to visit
        >
        > V&A's new Textile wing
        > Harrods for High Tea
        > Hampton Court
        > Kentwell Hall's Tudor Days
        > Tours of London
        >
        > Added event:
        > Small added Tour to Pairs/ Versilles
        > Louvre Museum
        >

        > The issue is that we are so far in advance and with constant changes in the USD they are not able to firm up an amount, however we are working with a good Agency and hope to have a ball part for people soon, hopefully by June of this year, if not sooner.
        >
        > So how does this sound to people?
        >
        > Cilean

        Elizabeth Walpole
        http://magpiecostumer.wordpress.com/
        http://magpiecostumer.110mb.com/
      • Amy HornburgHeilveil
        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 31, 2012
          From where would this trip leave? Would the outgoing flights be based in
          LA, Chicago, Atlanta, NYC? It makes a difference....

          Smiles,
          Despina de la sounds like a fantastic trip!

        • Cilean_69
          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 31, 2012
            This Trip is June for 8 to 12 days depending we are looking to coincide with Kentwell Hall and the gardens in Hampton Court. Looking at the 2nd week in June.
          • Cilean_69
            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 31, 2012
              We are all going from all over the country, and so it may not include airfare or it might we can't book for awhile and so we are working on getting the best rates we can.

              Cilean

              Message 6 of 9 , Jan 31, 2012
                Kentwell Hall-has an Easter thing, but we are looking at June for the BIG Tudor Days that run for 6 weeks.

                V&A Textile Exhibit has been shut down and will not open until 2013.

                This is one of the reasons we are planning this group trip....
                Also I am working with several of the Costumer's in the UK to get special tours and such while at the events.

                It is lovely you are going in April! I hope you are going for a while to get to all of the things you are showing! I was there last year and it took 2 weeks to get to the list you have so good for you!

                Might I also suggest to email Bath's Museums and the V&A and the Tate and see if they will give you a 'closed tour' as you are a costumer looking to expand your knowledge. It helped me to get to see a lot of things that are not on display at right now!

                Of course I also had the chance to go to the TORM (The Original Re-enactor's Market) and it had some spectacular stuff, I have some fabric it is cloth of silver, expensive but worth it! I also picked up a Forepart/Sleeve fabric I am going to pearl and perhaps wear this coming 12th Night (2013).

                Anyway? Have a grand time! Oh if you have the chance? Order a Ploughman's lunch!!! You will not regret it! Awesome experience!
              • Tudorpot
                Message 7 of 9 , Jan 31, 2012
                  On 2012-01-31, at 4:57 PM, Cilean_69 wrote:

                  > Kentwell Hall-has an Easter thing, but we are looking at June for the BIG Tudor Days that run for 6 weeks.
                  >
                  > V&A Textile Exhibit has been shut down and will not open until 2013.
                  Nods, I am more of book person- will be checking out period bindings at the British Library. There is still lots to see at the V&A. As you say there is so much to see.

                  > It is lovely you are going in April! I hope you are going for a while to get to all of the things you are showing! I was there last year and it took 2 weeks to get to the list you have so good for you!

                  I'm going for 16 days.

                  > Might I also suggest to email Bath's Museums and the V&A and the Tate and see if they will give you a 'closed tour' as you are a costumer looking to expand your knowledge. It helped me to get to see a lot of things that are not on display at right now!

                  Will try that, thanks.

                  > Of course I also had the chance to go to the TORM (The Original Re-enactor's Market) and it had some spectacular stuff, I have some fabric it is cloth of silver, expensive but worth it! I also picked up a Forepart/Sleeve fabric I am going to pearl and perhaps wear this coming 12th Night (2013).
                  >
                  > Anyway? Have a grand time! Oh if you have the chance? Order a Ploughman's lunch!!!
                  Very true, I've lived in the UK in the past. Steak & Kidney pie is also a good choice.

                  You probably know this- but if you book ahead, you can get a very cheap ticket on the Eurostar, I booked in late Jan for April. I was able to get one for £39. Am also saving time and money by flying into London and out of Paris, rather than backtracking to London. Easy to book online or with agents. Open Jaw is the term.

                  Theadora
                • xina007eu
                  Message 8 of 9 , Feb 1, 2012
                    The V&A is still showing textiles in the Medieval & Renaissance galleries (especially in the basement) and the British Galleries, so it's still worth a visit. The Museum of London has some items on show that many people in this group will have seen in books (two wire headdress frames, the leather jerkin from Janet Arnold's book, several textile pieces from Medieval Textiles and Clothing including thr cuff with the fabric buttons). The other medieval and Renaissance items in both museums are absolutely worth a visit, too.

                    If you are interested in medieval buildings, there are several houses and other buildings in and around London or just a short train ride away that you may like to visit. For instance, English Heritage has bought a large wooden medieval barn near London and will open it to the public, see http://www.english-heritage.org.uk/about/news/betjemans-cathedral-of-middlesex-saved. Or you could go to Sutton House, a Tudor house in East London, maintained by the National Trust. Have a look at the web sites of English Heritage and the National Trust, they own quite a lot of these buildings.

                    Best regards,

                    Christina