Re: [Authentic_SCA] Roman headwear?

  • Brad Moore
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 17, 2012
      Anabel,

      I would try to interlibrary loan a copy of Roman Clothing and Fashion by Alexandra Croom.  I would also suggest The World of Roman Costume, edited by Judith Sebesta and Larissa Bonfante.  Both are excellent sources, and have sections on headwear.

      Je Reste,

      Nicolas

      Brad Moore

      "If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."
      - J.R.R. Tolkien

    • Sarah Michele Ford
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 17, 2012
        forwarding to my source for all things roman...

        Alianor de R

        On Tue, Jan 17, 2012 at 11:45, azya_19 <azya_19@...> wrote:

        > Good morning -
        >
        > I am trying to help out a young man (8 years old) in our Barony who has
        > decided on a Roman persona. He is trying to find out what sort of headwear
        > he should be using. Does anyone know anything about this subject?
        >
        > Thanks,
        >
        > Anabel Hastings

      • annakaiara
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 18, 2012
          What century?

          Later Roman can be found at: http://www.levantia.com.au/

          The web page is done by an academic who specializes in the clothing of his period and region which is the eastern portion of the Roman Empire which is popularly called Byzantine in the later period.

          His page has pictures that are helpful.

          --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "azya_19" <azya_19@...> wrote:

          > Good morning -
          >
          > I am trying to help out a young man (8 years old) in our Barony who has decided on a Roman persona. He is trying to find out what sort of headwear he should be using. Does anyone know anything about this subject?
          >
          > Thanks,
          >
          > Anabel Hastings

        • Sarah Michele Ford
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 18, 2012
            On Tue, Jan 17, 2012 at 14:28, Sarah Michele Ford <saramichelef@...>wrote:

            > forwarding to my source for all things roman...

            And here's her response:

            For a kid? I think he's fine going about bare-headed- I can't think of any
            > depiction of kids with hats or head coverings right now. What he really
            > needs to make sure he has, though, is a bulla- an amulet given to small
            > children to ward off evil. Upper class kids had bronze ones, I suspect the
            > plebians would have had leather.

            HTH,
            Alianor de R

          • David
            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 18, 2012
              Greetings -

              The young man is interested in very late period Roman empire, but is still deciding between the last Western outposts or a slightly later time at some Eastern location, in case time and place is some help.

              Thanks,

              Peregrine Falconer