Re: Late-period Italian portraiture

  • Isabella D'Angelo
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 22, 2011
      http://aneafiles.webs.com/renaissancegallery/men.html

      Although most of this is earlier(1490-1520), if you scroll down, you'll see examples of later period garb.

      http://aneafiles.webs.com/renaissancegallery/extantmen.html

      Anea also includes a lot of wonderful information on extant garments from the time period you are looking at. (You need to scroll down a bit but there is a great outfit from the 1560s there!)

      -Isabella

      --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, Sarah Michele Ford <saramichelef@...> wrote:

      > Hi all,
      > I've been asked for pointers on vigil clothing for someone who's extremely
      > late-period (1550 or so) Italian; I don't know that he's particular about
      > region/city-state. He doesn't want to sit vigil in a shift... and my
      > googling hasn't turned up much in the way of imagery that I can point him
      > to for ideas. Anybody have suggestions of databases or sites to look at, or
      > even artists to focus my searches on?
      >
      > Thanks,
      > Alianor de R

    • dark_lady_of_the_sidhe
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 22, 2011
        Hi!

        I actually just coordinated a period Venetian vigil/Elevation for a friend and my personal specialty is 7th century Scotland, so I did a lot of research on the foods, clothing, scroll, etc. in preparation. If you would like more information on any of those topics or if you would like to help beta-test my "How to plan an elevation" handout and checklist, please contact me off-list.

        In general, for someone who is interested in late period Italian clothing, I cannot recommend the Moda books too highly. The one for ladies has been out for some time and the one for gentlemen just came out. It is beyond droolworthy. At about $100, it is a little spendy, but more than worth it for anyone with more than a passing interest in clothing of the time.
        ISBNs: 8883048679 and 8856400995

        ~Eithni