Re: [Authentic_SCA] Farming and plows

  • EaldredSCA@aol.com
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 9, 2011
      The illustration is from the Julius Work Calendar.

      I got information about it from the book "The Year 1000 What Life was Like at the turn of the first Millennium An Englishman's world" by Robert Lacey and Danny Danziger who use the 12 monthly illustrations as chapter intros in their book

      I haven't had a chance to scan from my book, but here are a couple online examples:
      http://www.freecodesource.com/album-covers/B000W0DGJU--rhubarb-the-julius-work-calendar-(import)-album-cover.html
      This one has been colorized and cropped.

      http://www.flickr.com/photos/30591976@N05/3428257587/
      This has been done as a negative???

      I will try to scan my page tonight.

      Ealdred of Malmesbury

      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 9, 2011
        Hi
        For earlier, but might still work info, you could try and contact the
        Little Butzer Farm in England. They are 'Celtic' and earlier than you
        want, but they do practical work with animals and planting.
        Ta
        Carol
      • Folo Watkins
        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 9, 2011
          >The illustration is from the Julius Work Calendar.

          For the Tiberius and Julian work calendars, see
          http://www.trin.cam.ac.uk/sdk13/ASCalendar/ASCalendar.html. The
          illustration to which you prefer may be found at
          http://www.trin.cam.ac.uk/sdk13/ASCalendar/ASCalJan.html

          Cheers, Folo
          www.micelfolcland.org
        • EaldredSCA@aol.com
          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 9, 2011
            Here is the scan from the book.

            http://www.flickr.com/photos/9931357@N03/6329766430/in/photostream

            Ealdred

          • rosslchristenson@shaw.ca
            Message 5 of 10 , Nov 9, 2011
              On the website www.pjoarchaeology.co.uk is a lovely article on anglosaxon ironwork. It is illustrated with scale line drawings, and has a great image oof a plough share. I think it's in section 2 of the pdf.

              Cheers,
              Arnbjorn