Re: Farming and plows

  • LJonthebay
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 8, 2011
      --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "Despair Bear" <despairbear@...> wrote:

      > Greetings all,
      >
      > As some of you know my wife and I are slowly building a small Saxon village on our property and to further that end we are implementing Post-Migration period farming practices. We have reached a point where we need to start working some of our ground with a small plow and I am looking for links to images of early period plows and harrows. Any suggestions or links?

      Well, that explains the goats. ;-D

      The Luttrell Psalter is 13th century, but it's got lots of images of rural life that may be of interest to you.
      http://www.bl.uk/collections/treasures/luttrell/luttrell_broadband.htm

      Saionji no Hana
      West Kingdom
    • EaldredSCA@aol.com
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 8, 2011
        How early are you looking for? I have an illustration of plow team that shows some good detail. The illustration is was drawn around 1020 in Canterbury

        Ealdred of Malmesbury

        As some of you know my wife and I are slowly building a small Saxon village on our property and to further that end we are implementing Post-Migration period farming practices. We have reached a point where we need to start working some of our ground with a small plow and I am looking for links to images of early period plows and harrows. Any suggestions or links?

        Godric

      • Despair Bear
        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 8, 2011
          That would be early enough, ideally I would like to have something around 900 but due to the constraints of research I will take what I can get thank you.

          Godric

          ________________________________

          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 9, 2011
            The illustration is from the Julius Work Calendar.

            I got information about it from the book "The Year 1000 What Life was Like at the turn of the first Millennium An Englishman's world" by Robert Lacey and Danny Danziger who use the 12 monthly illustrations as chapter intros in their book

            I haven't had a chance to scan from my book, but here are a couple online examples:
            http://www.freecodesource.com/album-covers/B000W0DGJU--rhubarb-the-julius-work-calendar-(import)-album-cover.html
            This one has been colorized and cropped.

            http://www.flickr.com/photos/30591976@N05/3428257587/
            This has been done as a negative???

            I will try to scan my page tonight.

            Ealdred of Malmesbury

            Message 5 of 10 , Nov 9, 2011
              Hi
              For earlier, but might still work info, you could try and contact the
              Little Butzer Farm in England. They are 'Celtic' and earlier than you
              want, but they do practical work with animals and planting.
              Ta
              Carol
            • Folo Watkins
              Message 6 of 10 , Nov 9, 2011
                >The illustration is from the Julius Work Calendar.

                For the Tiberius and Julian work calendars, see
                http://www.trin.cam.ac.uk/sdk13/ASCalendar/ASCalendar.html. The
                illustration to which you prefer may be found at
                http://www.trin.cam.ac.uk/sdk13/ASCalendar/ASCalJan.html

                Cheers, Folo
                www.micelfolcland.org
              • EaldredSCA@aol.com
                Message 7 of 10 , Nov 9, 2011
                  Here is the scan from the book.

                  http://www.flickr.com/photos/9931357@N03/6329766430/in/photostream

                  Ealdred

                • rosslchristenson@shaw.ca
                  Message 8 of 10 , Nov 9, 2011
                    On the website www.pjoarchaeology.co.uk is a lovely article on anglosaxon ironwork. It is illustrated with scale line drawings, and has a great image oof a plough share. I think it's in section 2 of the pdf.

                    Cheers,
                    Arnbjorn