Farming and plows

  • Despair Bear
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 8, 2011
      Greetings all,

      As some of you know my wife and I are slowly building a small Saxon village on our property and to further that end we are implementing Post-Migration period farming practices. We have reached a point where we need to start working some of our ground with a small plow and I am looking for links to images of early period plows and harrows. Any suggestions or links?

      Godric
    • Brad Moore
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 8, 2011
        Check the margins of the Bayeux Tapestry, if memory serves there are images of plows/plowing.

        Je Reste,

        Nicolas

        Brad Moore

        "If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."
        - J.R.R. Tolkien

      • LJonthebay
        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 8, 2011
          --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "Despair Bear" <despairbear@...> wrote:

          > Greetings all,
          >
          > As some of you know my wife and I are slowly building a small Saxon village on our property and to further that end we are implementing Post-Migration period farming practices. We have reached a point where we need to start working some of our ground with a small plow and I am looking for links to images of early period plows and harrows. Any suggestions or links?

          Well, that explains the goats. ;-D

          The Luttrell Psalter is 13th century, but it's got lots of images of rural life that may be of interest to you.
          http://www.bl.uk/collections/treasures/luttrell/luttrell_broadband.htm

          Saionji no Hana
          West Kingdom
        • EaldredSCA@aol.com
          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 8, 2011
            How early are you looking for? I have an illustration of plow team that shows some good detail. The illustration is was drawn around 1020 in Canterbury

            Ealdred of Malmesbury

            Message 5 of 10 , Nov 8, 2011
              That would be early enough, ideally I would like to have something around 900 but due to the constraints of research I will take what I can get thank you.

              Godric

              ________________________________

              Message 6 of 10 , Nov 9, 2011
                The illustration is from the Julius Work Calendar.

                I got information about it from the book "The Year 1000 What Life was Like at the turn of the first Millennium An Englishman's world" by Robert Lacey and Danny Danziger who use the 12 monthly illustrations as chapter intros in their book

                I haven't had a chance to scan from my book, but here are a couple online examples:
                http://www.freecodesource.com/album-covers/B000W0DGJU--rhubarb-the-julius-work-calendar-(import)-album-cover.html
                This one has been colorized and cropped.

                http://www.flickr.com/photos/30591976@N05/3428257587/
                This has been done as a negative???

                I will try to scan my page tonight.

                Ealdred of Malmesbury

                Message 7 of 10 , Nov 9, 2011
                  Hi
                  For earlier, but might still work info, you could try and contact the
                  Little Butzer Farm in England. They are 'Celtic' and earlier than you
                  want, but they do practical work with animals and planting.
                  Ta
                  Carol
                • Folo Watkins
                  Message 8 of 10 , Nov 9, 2011
                    >The illustration is from the Julius Work Calendar.

                    For the Tiberius and Julian work calendars, see
                    http://www.trin.cam.ac.uk/sdk13/ASCalendar/ASCalendar.html. The
                    illustration to which you prefer may be found at
                    http://www.trin.cam.ac.uk/sdk13/ASCalendar/ASCalJan.html

                    Cheers, Folo
                    www.micelfolcland.org
                  • EaldredSCA@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 10 , Nov 9, 2011
                      Here is the scan from the book.

                      http://www.flickr.com/photos/9931357@N03/6329766430/in/photostream

                      Ealdred

                    • rosslchristenson@shaw.ca
                      Message 10 of 10 , Nov 9, 2011
                        On the website www.pjoarchaeology.co.uk is a lovely article on anglosaxon ironwork. It is illustrated with scale line drawings, and has a great image oof a plough share. I think it's in section 2 of the pdf.

                        Cheers,
                        Arnbjorn