RE: [Authentic_SCA] Winter and kilts

  • Jeff Gedney
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 2, 2011
      Hrmmmmn....
      I don't believe that Tartans (Characteristic of family affiliation) are
      period...
      I seem to recall that the concept was an artifact of the 18th Century.
      And as for Great Kilts there is probably little evidence of their use
      pre 16th century.

      (9th century Magyars probably wore pants like most people of the time.)

      So if you like wearing kilts, wear what you want.

      On Wed, Nov 2, 2011 at 4:32 PM, mos6238 wrote:

      > As a noload (no longer on active duty) Marine, Toys for Tots has a
      > special place in my heart. A local group is hosting a Toys Tourney to
      > collect toys for the Marine Corps Reserve's program. My question I
      > have a great kilt in Leatherneck Tartan and would like to wear it to
      > the event, but winters in Michigan are cold. Is there any evidence
      > that pants or other leg coverings were worn in cold temps?
      >
      > Istvan Valkai
      > a 9thc Magyar wanting to honor my brothers and sisters

    • Raymond Zentz
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 2, 2011
        In my humble opinion, wear what you feel is appropriate to honor your brothers and sisters. Wear pants underneath, in obeisance to the cold. Anybody says anything negative or derogatory, thank then for offering to purchase you new garb. They usually go away after that. If not, perhaps you can offer to demonstrate what "regimental" really means... ;-)

        Seriously, if there are any questions, explain why you chose the garb.

        Semper fi.

        Padruig

        I don't believe that Tartans (Characteristic of family affiliation) are
        period...
        I seem to recall that the concept was an artifact of the 18th Century.
        And as for Great Kilts there is probably little evidence of their use
        pre 16th century.

        (9th century Magyars probably wore pants like most people of the time.)

        So if you like wearing kilts, wear what you want.

        On Wed, Nov 2, 2011 at 4:32 PM, mos6238 wrote:

        > As a noload (no longer on active duty) Marine, Toys for Tots has a
        > special place in my heart. A local group is hosting a Toys Tourney to
        > collect toys for the Marine Corps Reserve's program. My question I
        > have a great kilt in Leatherneck Tartan and would like to wear it to
        > the event, but winters in Michigan are cold. Is there any evidence
        > that pants or other leg coverings were worn in cold temps?
        >
        > Istvan Valkai
        > a 9thc Magyar wanting to honor my brothers and sisters

      • Cynthia Ley
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 2, 2011
          On 11/2/2011 1:32 PM, mos6238 wrote:

          > As a noload (no longer on active duty) Marine, Toys for Tots has a
          > special place in my heart. A local group is hosting a Toys Tourney to
          > collect toys for the Marine Corps Reserve's program. My question I
          > have a great kilt in Leatherneck Tartan and would like to wear it to
          > the event, but winters in Michigan are cold. Is there any evidence
          > that pants or other leg coverings were worn in cold temps?

          I *think* so, but it's been a long time since I looked into it, and so
          am running heavily on the vague side. ;-) You could wear braes, but not
          with the kilt. Woolen stockings and garters would be fine with it. In
          any case, I think that this is one of those instances where it's much
          more important to honor those who serve and have served. Go for the
          great kilt look, and be proud.

          And thank you for your service to your American "cousins." :-)

          Arlys

          > Istvan Valkai
          > a 9thc Magyar wanting to honor my brothers and sisters

        • Heather Rose Jones
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 2, 2011
            On Nov 2, 2011, at 1:32 PM, "mos6238" <mos6238@...> wrote:

            > As a noload (no longer on active duty) Marine, Toys for Tots has a special place in my heart. A local group is hosting a Toys Tourney to collect toys for the Marine Corps Reserve's program. My question I have a great kilt in Leatherneck Tartan and would like to wear it to the event, but winters in Michigan are cold. Is there any evidence that pants or other leg coverings were worn in cold temps?

            Keep in mind that the "great kilt" (I.e., belted plaid), as worn in pre-1600 Scotland, was more of a cloak than a body-garment. It would _always_ have been worn over an outfit that, itself, would have been unremarkable as clothing. That outfit presumably varied according to resources, class, weather, etc. I know that there are post-1600 portraits showing men wearing a belted plaid over outfits that included bias-cut trews along with a doublet/jacket type garment.

            Tangwystyl
          • Steven Gillan
            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 2, 2011
              Marine, You are indeed pushing the great kilt timeline envelop a bit. Doesn't matter much however. It is an almost 17th century garment. (1585). You may wear "truibhas"* of a solid colour or a different tartan under your great kilt. It is likely to be correct to a very early period with plaides, either gathered about you or pleated and belted. or you may wear hose to the top of your calf, heavy knitted ones. Or you may wear hose bias cut from either solid tartan or another "sett" all together. (these resemble the gaiters that squids wear occasionally. Except they have only one seam up the back.) You may wear other "upper hose" long johns pushed up and secured above your knees as far as you like as no one will see them. This arraignment will leave your knees exposed and that may be a difficulty. I know few Marines who have functional knees, the cold can't help much. *Tribuhas / Trews are very much like medieval joined hose. A very good pattern for them can be found in the "Medieval Tailors Assistant". While not exactly triubhas, I think they might serve your purpose. If you look at the pictures on my website www.maccolin.com, you will see an old greyhaired duffer wearing them with an occasional "shoulder plaide". If I can be of further service please let me know. Semper Fi.( disclaimer : While I myself am not now nor have I ever been a Marine, I have two Son in Laws who were. Army myself.)

              Yrs aye, Steven

              To: Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com
              CC: mos6238@...
              From: cley56@...