Period printed fabric

  • gianottadallafiora
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 21, 2011
      As the discussion of printed fabric in period continues, I just wanted to share with you one of the Fustat stamped cottons I found on Wikipedia; the description talks about how the fabric was produced:

      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Fustat_Indian.jpg

      No paisley there, but the interior part of the fabric kind of looks like a Tudor rose.

      The example I posted seems to be 16th-17th century. But apparently there are resist-dyed fragments of material found in Fustat dating from the 11th century - again, like the fragment shown, in cottons imported from India. This is according to Marcus Milwright in "An Introduction to Islamic Archaeology."

      Anyone here have a copy of "Indian Block-printed Textiles in Egypt: The Newberry Collection in the Ashmolean Museum"?, by Ruth Barnes? Apparently quite a bit of that collection is early medieval. Would be interesting to see if any paisley patterns pop up there.

      I kind of always associated the paisley use in Indian fabrics, however, with the coming of the later Mughal rulers (they were very Persian-influenced - and note that word for the paisley-type motifs in Indian sari fabric is "butti," obviously deriving from the Persian word).

      YIS,
      Adelisa Salernitana
    • Susanne Hibbert
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 21, 2011
        Vivat to you! Thank you. I'm keeping this to do later. I have a wood block that is crying out to be used in a "tile" pattern. It takes some planning,but this tile makes a wonderful all over pattern. I have some wood block tiles that I bought years ago from Cost Plus Imports (now World Imports). Mostly 1" to 2" boarder tiles used in printing cottons in India. It is amasing how many traditional patterns are still available on the market. The cost seems high at $25+, but think of all the time saved in cutting your own, and some are just not good wood cutters.
        Susana

[...]

      • Sayyeda al-Kaslaania
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 1, 2011
          Also:

          Barnes, Ruth. "From India to Egypt: The Newberry Collection and the
          Indian Ocean Trade." in /Islamische Textilkunst des Mittelalters:
          Aktuelle Probleme/. Edited by Muhammad 'Abbas Muhammad Salim.
          Riggisberger Berichte ed. vol. 5. Abegg-Stuftung, 1997. 95-104.

          Sayyeda al-Kaslaania