Re: [Authentic_SCA] printed fabric

  • Catherine Olanich Raymond
    Message 1 of 35 , Oct 18, 2011
      On 10/18/2011 10:25 PM, jewett_christine wrote:
      > I couldn't resist buying some fabric that is printed in black with an elaborate floral design that at first glance looks like paisley, but isn't. I've seen paintings of kirtles in what could be printed fabric. I think this fabric would make an awesome kirtle - but I'm worrying that the pattern is too out of place. I don't want to walk around KNOWING that the fabric is a totally wrong fit for the period! What is everyone's opinion on this? Would something like what I've described be TOO anachronistic?
      >
      > Re: Italian Gown - I have started the first muslin bodice. I think I may be on the right track!

      What paintings do you have in mind? There's paintings of women wearing
      kirtles made from brocaded fabric, but the only printed fabrics I know
      of in period are Russian and fairly primitive.

      That being said, I'd worry less about whether the fabric is printed or
      not and more about how close the design looks to a period design.

      --
      Cathy Raymond
      cathy@...

      "Beware how you take away hope from another human being."
      --Oliver Wendell Holmes
    • Susanne Hibbert
      Message 35 of 35 , Nov 8, 2011
        Wonderful!