Re: [Authentic_SCA] Re: Hand sewing

  • Kareina Talvi Tytär
    Message 1 of 12 , Oct 19, 2011
      At 22:16 18/10/2011, Tchipakkan wrote:

      >I'll admit that I dearly love my modern needles though- thorn and
      >bone may be more authentic, but I prefer the metal ones.

      I once purchased a hand-made iron needle which I loved--it was so
      small and fine that it slipped easily through even tightly woven
      fabrics. Sadly, such needles, despite being a joy to work with, are
      NOT meant to take pressure in any other direction. I knew better than
      to use the point of that needle to pick at a stitch that has already
      been made in an attempt to untie a minor knot in the thread, but one
      afternoon in a moment's inattention, I tried to do it anyway, and
      snapped my favourite needle in half.

      --Kareina
      PS I just checked the web page of the merchant from whom I got the
      iron needle, and it looks like she is carrying bronze these
      days:
      <http://shop.pallia.net/index.php/en/component/jshopping/category/view/2?Itemid=135>http://shop.pallia.net/index.php/en/component/jshopping/category/view/2?Itemid=135
      no idea if they will be as delicate with respect to sideways tension
      as the iron one was, nor if they are as tiny as that needle was.

      mobile phone +46 70 253 2443
      http://kareina.livejournal.com/
      http://www.facebook.com/reia.chmielowski
      http://a-life-long-scholar.blogspot.com/