Re: Hand sewing

  • Virginia Richards-Taylor
    Message 1 of 12 , Oct 18, 2011
      I think hand sewing has one clear major advantage when doing it at an event: you don't have to hide (or look for an electricity source). There's also the issue of material. With a nicely fulled, hand-woven wool twill, if machine sewn the seam and fabric looks something like a frankenstein's monster, puffy and odd. With hand stitching one can achieve an almost invisible join, if careful (and done in sunlight- I wouldn't try it by firelight with any fabric with a pattern). I think so much of it has to do with the material you are sewing. I wouldn't trust some finer gauzes to a machine when I wanted to hem a veil, and turning corners is hard even by hand. I'm perfectly willing to use my machine to join furs, but I want to attach them to the fabric by hand so that they lie properly. I think it's a question of which materials you are dealing with at any time- and practice, and technique (as others have said).

      I'll admit that I dearly love my modern needles though- thorn and bone may be more authentic, but I prefer the metal ones.
      Tchipakkan

      Feeling gratitude and not expressing it is like wrapping a present and not giving it --William Arthur Ward

    • xina007eu
      Message 2 of 12 , Oct 19, 2011
        Hi all,

        See the following article by Janet Arnold:
        "An Edinburgh tailor's story" in Costume, London, #10, 1976, pp 74 - 85.
        Janet Arnold (J.A. in the quote below) talks to Daniel Nelson (D.N.):

        "J .A. I remember an old tailor who taught us at art college. He showed us the difference between a back stitched seam and a machine stitched seam. He pulled them both very hard, and the machine stitching broke in two places, but the hand stitching held firm.
        D.N. There's an elasticity in hand sewing which is missing in machine stitching. [...]"

        The rest of the article is also very interesting, e.g. it shows how to draw the shape of an armscye using your hand as a template.

        Best regards,

        Christina

        --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "jewett_christine" <dystopic@...> wrote:

        > The sturdiness of the hand sewn vs. the machine sewn has a lot more to do with the skill of the sewer than the process, I think, but the approach to a garment when you hand sew it seems to be different, and you can reach into fussy bits easier. Also, have tidier ends. But maybe that was just my machine sewing! :P There are merits to both ways of doing it. I just find hand sewing gets along a lot better with me. :P

      • Kareina Talvi Tytär
        Message 3 of 12 , Oct 19, 2011
          At 22:16 18/10/2011, Tchipakkan wrote:

          >I'll admit that I dearly love my modern needles though- thorn and
          >bone may be more authentic, but I prefer the metal ones.

          I once purchased a hand-made iron needle which I loved--it was so
          small and fine that it slipped easily through even tightly woven
          fabrics. Sadly, such needles, despite being a joy to work with, are
          NOT meant to take pressure in any other direction. I knew better than
          to use the point of that needle to pick at a stitch that has already
          been made in an attempt to untie a minor knot in the thread, but one
          afternoon in a moment's inattention, I tried to do it anyway, and
          snapped my favourite needle in half.

          --Kareina
          PS I just checked the web page of the merchant from whom I got the
          iron needle, and it looks like she is carrying bronze these
          days:
          <http://shop.pallia.net/index.php/en/component/jshopping/category/view/2?Itemid=135>http://shop.pallia.net/index.php/en/component/jshopping/category/view/2?Itemid=135
          no idea if they will be as delicate with respect to sideways tension
          as the iron one was, nor if they are as tiny as that needle was.

          mobile phone +46 70 253 2443
          http://kareina.livejournal.com/
          http://www.facebook.com/reia.chmielowski
          http://a-life-long-scholar.blogspot.com/