Re: 1490-1510 Italian "Empire waist" gown

  • gianottadallafiora
    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 17, 2011
      --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "jewett_christine" <dystopic@...> wrote:

      > So I have my heart set on making a gown from this era, specifically the type with the waist sitting just under the bust, with the wide neckline that rests on the tips of the shoulders and the v-ed back. See: <a href="http://realmofvenus.renaissanceitaly.net/wardrobe/artgallery1.htm">Realm of Venus</a> for examples in paintings.

      If you want to cheat a bit, I used this pattern a long time ago to make a similar gown (V'd front of the bodice, but not in the back):

      http://www.mediaevalmisc.com/pp-041.htm

      Specifically, I used variation V. It looked pretty good, and for me, I find if I have pieces to play with, making a muslin is a lot less intimidating, since I am hopeless at draping and pattern-drafting anything more complicated than a tunic from scratch.

      YIS,
      Adelisa de Salernum
    • lilinah@earthlink.net
      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 18, 2011
        Another source of potential use is Reconstructing History. They have 5 patterns for Florentine women's gowns covering about 3/4 of a century. RH511 may be what you're interested in.
        http://www.reconstructinghistory.com/products?utf8=%E2%9C%93&keywords=florentine

        Disclaimer
        I have not used these patterns and cannot comment on historical accuracy, fit, instructions, etc. Some RH patterns appear excellent and some could be a lot better, but that is true of any patterns for historically based clothing.

        Urtatim (that's err-tah-TEEM)
      • Susanne Hibbert
        Message 3 of 11 , Oct 18, 2011
          Thank you for the post. I will forward to a friend of mine who would love info and group to join that works on only this period of Italian garb.
          THLady Susana

          ________________________________
          > So I have my heart set on making a gown from this era, specifically the type with
          > the waist sitting just under the bust, with the wide neckline that rests on the
          > tips of the shoulders and the v-ed back.
          SNIP
          > I am saavy to the parts - chemise, underdress, overdress, tie-on sleeves, etc. -
          > but I'm a bit baffled as to where to begin with constructing the torso of this
          > gown style.
          SNIP

          One place to ask for assistance is
          http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Italian_Renaissance_Costuming