Hand sewing

  • Mikki Griffin
    Message 1 of 12 , Oct 14, 2011
      I am so glad that I am not the only one that actually prefers and enjoys
      hand sewing. I am making a Viking outfit for a friend, and I did do the
      long seams on the machine for speed, but when I went to serge the edges, I
      couldn't bring myself to do it. Needless to say, I have been hand finishing
      all the edges and hems. It may be slower, but it is far nicer and more
      cathartic :D

      Margery Garret

    • Moira ingen Ronain
      Message 2 of 12 , Oct 14, 2011
        I have to say I to prefer handsewing to machine sewing. I am in the process
        of handbeading a sideless surcoat the will be hand sewn and hand embroidered
        at the hem border. It has taken over 5 months to do the majority of the
        front done. Others think I am crazy but i find it is the journey of
        creating the outfit not just the finished product. :)

        --
        Mor Ingen Ronain
        AKA Laura Jirus

        Message 3 of 12 , Oct 14, 2011
          I would love to know your docs for this. :-)

          Arlys

          On 10/14/2011 1:34 PM, Moira ingen Ronain wrote:

          > I have to say I to prefer handsewing to machine sewing. I am in the
          > process
          > of handbeading a sideless surcoat the will be hand sewn and hand
          > embroidered
          > at the hem border. It has taken over 5 months to do the majority of the
          > front done. Others think I am crazy but i find it is the journey of
          > creating the outfit not just the finished product. :)
          >
          > --
          > Mor Ingen Ronain
          > AKA Laura Jirus

        • Kareina Talvi Tytär
          Message 4 of 12 , Oct 15, 2011
            I, too, love hand sewing. I do not own a piece of
            machine sewn garb. However, I haven't been doing
            near as much hand sewing in recent years as I
            used to do. When I was an undergrad I always
            took a sewing project to lectures (I am one of
            those people who must be fidgeting with something
            while listening if I wish to retain the
            information, and I found that on days I forgot to
            bring sewing or embroidery I would start drawing
            in the margins of my notes, and drawing takes a
            different part of my brain that stitching so that
            when I draw I no longer hear and retain the
            information), but I did my PhD in Australia,
            where there is no course work required for the
            degree, only research, and so I lost huge amounts
            of sewing time from my life (I still have at
            parties, events, meeting, while riding public
            transit, etc. but those activities also decreased
            then). The other reason for the huge decrease in
            hand-sewing time in my life is that I learned
            nålbinding, and got hooked--it has all the
            advantages of sewing in terms of being something
            to do with my fingers while my attention is
            mostly focused elsewhere, but it is faster and
            easier to do and can be done in poorer lighting
            conditions than sewing. As a result my closet is
            full of old dresses and it is getting to be time
            to make some new ones. As soon as I finish
            sewing that gift for a friend, and those couple of nålbinding projects, and...

            --Kareina

            mobile phone +46 70 253 2443
            http://kareina.livejournal.com/
            http://www.facebook.com/reia.chmielowski
            http://a-life-long-scholar.blogspot.com/
          • Despair Bear
            Message 5 of 12 , Oct 15, 2011
              My wife feels the same way, hand sens seems to hold up better as well.

              Godric

              ________________________________

              Message 6 of 12 , Oct 16, 2011
                All my garb is machine sewn. I enjoy the speed and have never found machine sewing, done properly, to be less sturdy than hand sewing. I do enjoy the research and have plain silk waiting for natural dyes that in the near future I will use for the first time :) I am seeking out patterns for embroidery that are period for my garb, and this I do by hand. I'm also starting out to learn about weaving trims in an attempt to get closer to period. That said, it will probably be added by hand and by machine both.

                But I am seriously impressed by those of you who hand sew your garb!!

                Ann Seeton

                --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, Kareina Talvi Tyt�r <kareina.sca@...> wrote:
                > I, too, love hand sewing. I do not own a piece of
                > machine sewn garb....
              • jewett_christine
                Message 7 of 12 , Oct 16, 2011
                  The sturdiness of the hand sewn vs. the machine sewn has a lot more to do with the skill of the sewer than the process, I think, but the approach to a garment when you hand sew it seems to be different, and you can reach into fussy bits easier. Also, have tidier ends. But maybe that was just my machine sewing! :P There are merits to both ways of doing it. I just find hand sewing gets along a lot better with me. :P
                • Brad Moore
                  Message 8 of 12 , Oct 17, 2011
                    I have to agree with Ann, I admire all who hand sew, but personally I have always found it to be tedious.  I make a lot of garb, but most of it is made on the machine.  I hand finish the bits which will show, but I've always been far more interested in construction than in the act of sewing.  I like seeing how the pieces go together, but don't have the extra time for making it totally by hand.

                    Brad Moore

                    "If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."
                    - J.R.R. Tolkien

                    All my garb is machine sewn. I enjoy the speed and have never found machine sewing, done properly, to be less sturdy than hand sewing. I do enjoy the research and have plain silk waiting for natural dyes that in the near future I will use for the first time :) I am seeking out patterns for embroidery that are period for my garb, and this I do by hand. I'm also starting out to learn about weaving trims in an attempt to get closer to period. That said, it will probably be added by hand and by machine both.

                    But I am seriously impressed by those of you who hand sew your garb!!

                    Ann Seeton

                    --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, Kareina Talvi Tyt�r <kareina.sca@...> wrote:
                    > I, too, love hand sewing. I do not own a piece of
                    > machine sewn garb....

                  • Tiffany Brown
                    Message 9 of 12 , Oct 17, 2011
                      On 18 October 2011 05:00, Brad Moore <mamluk@...> wrote:

                      > I hand finish the bits which will show, but I've always been far more
                      > interested in construction than in the act of sewing. I like seeing how the
                      > pieces go together, but don't have the extra time for making it totally by
                      > hand.

                      There are a few things about the fine details of the construction that you
                      can only really experience by doing the sewing by hand. But in order to do
                      this, you need good handsewing, teh right materials, preferably no deadline
                      for finishing and really good reports about the type of sewing you are
                      trying to copy. Oh, and to find handsewing calming instead of an exercise in
                      patience. It can be quite difficult to get all these prerequisites together
                      at the same time.

                      For a counter example though, I recall seeing a young lad from annother
                      reenactment organisation trying to handsew his garments very very badly. It
                      wasn't just that his skill was extremely unpractised, but that no-one had
                      shown him how to do a single stitch type. He spent a lot of time making a
                      garment which I'm sure would only last 2 wears (as I watched in astonishment
                      and tried to show him some sewing tips). To my mind, this wasn't better
                      recreation because the durability of the finished product (for everyday
                      garments) is very much a part of the medievalness of a garment, and the
                      fineness of the sewing is a contributor to this. If he's sewed the garment
                      on a machine (or at least the main seams) the product would have been more
                      medieval in that it would be fit for purpose than the poorly handsewn
                      product. That said, he was learning a bit about wielding a needle
                      (including bad habbits), but a lot less than a medieval girl learning at her
                      mother's knee would.

                      Teffania

                      --
                      . ___
                      {o,o} The blog you are not looking for
                      |)__) is definitely not at
                      -"-"- http://teffania.blogspot.com

                    • Virginia Richards-Taylor
                      Message 10 of 12 , Oct 18, 2011
                        I think hand sewing has one clear major advantage when doing it at an event: you don't have to hide (or look for an electricity source). There's also the issue of material. With a nicely fulled, hand-woven wool twill, if machine sewn the seam and fabric looks something like a frankenstein's monster, puffy and odd. With hand stitching one can achieve an almost invisible join, if careful (and done in sunlight- I wouldn't try it by firelight with any fabric with a pattern). I think so much of it has to do with the material you are sewing. I wouldn't trust some finer gauzes to a machine when I wanted to hem a veil, and turning corners is hard even by hand. I'm perfectly willing to use my machine to join furs, but I want to attach them to the fabric by hand so that they lie properly. I think it's a question of which materials you are dealing with at any time- and practice, and technique (as others have said).

                        I'll admit that I dearly love my modern needles though- thorn and bone may be more authentic, but I prefer the metal ones.
                        Tchipakkan

                        Feeling gratitude and not expressing it is like wrapping a present and not giving it --William Arthur Ward

                      • xina007eu
                        Message 11 of 12 , Oct 19, 2011
                          Hi all,

                          See the following article by Janet Arnold:
                          "An Edinburgh tailor's story" in Costume, London, #10, 1976, pp 74 - 85.
                          Janet Arnold (J.A. in the quote below) talks to Daniel Nelson (D.N.):

                          "J .A. I remember an old tailor who taught us at art college. He showed us the difference between a back stitched seam and a machine stitched seam. He pulled them both very hard, and the machine stitching broke in two places, but the hand stitching held firm.
                          D.N. There's an elasticity in hand sewing which is missing in machine stitching. [...]"

                          The rest of the article is also very interesting, e.g. it shows how to draw the shape of an armscye using your hand as a template.

                          Best regards,

                          Christina

                          Message 12 of 12 , Oct 19, 2011
                            At 22:16 18/10/2011, Tchipakkan wrote:

                            >I'll admit that I dearly love my modern needles though- thorn and
                            >bone may be more authentic, but I prefer the metal ones.

                            I once purchased a hand-made iron needle which I loved--it was so
                            small and fine that it slipped easily through even tightly woven
                            fabrics. Sadly, such needles, despite being a joy to work with, are
                            NOT meant to take pressure in any other direction. I knew better than
                            to use the point of that needle to pick at a stitch that has already
                            been made in an attempt to untie a minor knot in the thread, but one
                            afternoon in a moment's inattention, I tried to do it anyway, and
                            snapped my favourite needle in half.

                            --Kareina
                            PS I just checked the web page of the merchant from whom I got the
                            iron needle, and it looks like she is carrying bronze these
                            days:
                            <http://shop.pallia.net/index.php/en/component/jshopping/category/view/2?Itemid=135>http://shop.pallia.net/index.php/en/component/jshopping/category/view/2?Itemid=135
                            no idea if they will be as delicate with respect to sideways tension
                            as the iron one was, nor if they are as tiny as that needle was.