Re: places to visit in southern Germany

  • xina007eu
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 23 9:59 AM
      Hi Laura,

      In southern Germany, I can recommend e.g. the Bayerisches Nationalmuseum in Munich and the Germanisches Nationalmuseum in Nuremberg. Both are large arts-and-crafts-type museums with furniture, textiles, pottery / porcelain and many other items. Nuremberg has got an interesting castle and several medieval churches that are worth visiting. In Munich, you might also like to visit the Münchner Stadtmuseum for the famous late 15th century morris dancer sculptures.
      The cathedral treasuries and/or city museums of many cities have got ecclesiastic textiles and/or items from burials (e.g. Bamberg, Speyer). What is actually on view may vary; many of these items are very delicate and cannot be exposed to the light for a longer period of time.

      Best regards,

      Christina

      --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "Laura" <valkerie1000@...> wrote:

      > I will be visiting my sister in southern Germany for a month in the September/October timeframe. I was hoping to get some recommendations for good places to visit. I am interested in textiles, pottery, leatherwork, and general 14th and 16th century archeological "stuff."
      > I am willing to make excursions into other neigboring countries also.
      >
      > Never been to Germany! so excited! and I dont want to find out afterwards that I missed a medieval shoe museum in some corner of some small town that doesn't make the tourist books.
      >
      > Thanks in advance!
      >
      > Laura

    • Laura Morgan
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 23 2:25 PM
        Christina-

        Thanks so much!  I will add them all to the list!

        Laura