Re: [Authentic_SCA] goat skin

  • Corvus
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 13, 2011
      Sounds like a pouch to me. Goat makes a nice sporran.
      Perhaps a wrap for a scabbard or sheath.

      On Aug 13, 2011, at 6:36 PM, "arnbjornraudfeldr" <rosslchristenson@...> wrote:

      > All right friends. I recently came into possension of a small 2 foot by 18 inch fur on goat skin. I really don't know what to do with it.It's greyish with red brown tips. I am a 10th century Dane living in Jorvik. Any suggestions?
      > Arnbjorn

    • Dee Cadoret
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 13, 2011
        First thing that came to mind is a pouch or sporran, but that is wrong
        for you personae. How about a wine skin?

        On 13/08/2011 8:36 PM, arnbjornraudfeldr wrote:
        > All right friends. I recently came into possension of a small 2 foot by 18 inch fur on goat skin. I really don't know what to do with it.It's greyish with red brown tips. I am a 10th century Dane living in Jorvik. Any suggestions?
        > Arnbjorn

      • Michael Hurley
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 15, 2011
          On Aug 13, 2011, at 9:28 PM, Dee Cadoret wrote:
          > First thing that came to mind is a pouch or sporran, but that is
          > wrong
          > for you personae. How about a wine skin?

          Certainly a sporran would be wrong, but there's nothing saying a purse
          or pouch would be. Certainly the Sutton Hoo find had a highly ornate
          purse lid. There was also purses found at Birka and Heddeby. I'm sure
          there are others.

          Another possibility would be a hood lining. It's probably big enough
          for that. Or perhaps a fur hat.
          --
          Auf wiedersehen!
          Michael

          "..No."

          -Real Genius
        • ketil1
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 20, 2011
            I know I am new to the group but i think something that size would best be served as a cover for a seat perhaps a cushion for a chair.