goat skin

  • arnbjornraudfeldr
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 13, 2011
      All right friends. I recently came into possension of a small 2 foot by 18 inch fur on goat skin. I really don't know what to do with it.It's greyish with red brown tips. I am a 10th century Dane living in Jorvik. Any suggestions?
      Arnbjorn
    • Corvus
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 13, 2011
        Sounds like a pouch to me. Goat makes a nice sporran.
        Perhaps a wrap for a scabbard or sheath.

        On Aug 13, 2011, at 6:36 PM, "arnbjornraudfeldr" <rosslchristenson@...> wrote:

        > All right friends. I recently came into possension of a small 2 foot by 18 inch fur on goat skin. I really don't know what to do with it.It's greyish with red brown tips. I am a 10th century Dane living in Jorvik. Any suggestions?
        > Arnbjorn

      • Dee Cadoret
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 13, 2011
          First thing that came to mind is a pouch or sporran, but that is wrong
          for you personae. How about a wine skin?

          On 13/08/2011 8:36 PM, arnbjornraudfeldr wrote:
          > All right friends. I recently came into possension of a small 2 foot by 18 inch fur on goat skin. I really don't know what to do with it.It's greyish with red brown tips. I am a 10th century Dane living in Jorvik. Any suggestions?
          > Arnbjorn

        • Michael Hurley
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 15, 2011
            On Aug 13, 2011, at 9:28 PM, Dee Cadoret wrote:
            > First thing that came to mind is a pouch or sporran, but that is
            > wrong
            > for you personae. How about a wine skin?

            Certainly a sporran would be wrong, but there's nothing saying a purse
            or pouch would be. Certainly the Sutton Hoo find had a highly ornate
            purse lid. There was also purses found at Birka and Heddeby. I'm sure
            there are others.

            Another possibility would be a hood lining. It's probably big enough
            for that. Or perhaps a fur hat.
            --
            Auf wiedersehen!
            Michael

            "..No."

            -Real Genius
          • ketil1
            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 20, 2011
              I know I am new to the group but i think something that size would best be served as a cover for a seat perhaps a cushion for a chair.