Sunnfjord Hood

  • Marguerite
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 11 4:19 PM
      Greetings to the list,

      I am new to the list (but not to the SCA), I found you while doing a search for hood sources.

      I am looking for documentation of the Sunnfjord Hood. Everything I have found so far keeps coming back to one paper written by a member of the SCA.

      Does anyone know where I can track down informaiton on the original archaological paper?

      Marguerite fitz William
      Courtier to Their Excellencies of Aquaterra
    • Catherine Olanich Raymond
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 11 6:07 PM
        On 08/11/2011 07:19 PM, Marguerite wrote:
        > Greetings to the list,
        >
        > I am new to the list (but not to the SCA), I found you while doing a search for hood sources.
        >
        > I am looking for documentation of the Sunnfjord Hood. Everything I have found so far keeps coming back to one paper written by a member of the SCA.
        >
        > Does anyone know where I can track down informaiton on the original archaological paper?

        Marc Carlson cites some Swedish-language papers here:

        http://www.personal.utulsa.edu/~marc-carlson/cloth/sunnfjor.html

        --
        Cathy Raymond
        cathy@...

        "Beware how you take away hope from another human being."
        --Oliver Wendell Holmes
      • Fred Zeiler
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 11 8:18 PM
          I am not a fiber guy so I don't know if this will help or if it is the same
          thing.

          http://www.medieval-baltic.us/skjold.html

          Hope that helps,

          Frederick Alton

          Gleann Abhann

          cathy@... <mailto:cathy%40thyrsus.com>

          "Beware how you take away hope from another human being."
          --Oliver Wendell Holmes

        • Des & Jan Howard
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 11 9:44 PM
            Just for fun I tried the pattern from that site last
            week. I used the same measurements, 1 x 600mm x 600mm &
            2 x 300mm x 300mm. Two layers, heavy cotton for the
            outside & woolen blanket for lining. Parts went
            together brilliantly, but, too small for a big head &
            shoulders male, face too tight even on a smaller
            female, good on shoulders tho'. I think the dimensions
            would do for a medium child. Didn't have a handy one,
            so just dismantled it.
            Excellent garment, looks good, works well, will try
            again with 700mm x 700mm & 350mm x 350mm, different
            lining, blanket was a tad scratchy.
            Ranif Pallesser
            Lochac

            On 12/08/2011 1:18 PM, Fred Zeiler wrote:
            > I am not a fiber guy so I don't know if this will help
            > or if it is the same thing.
            > http://www.medieval-baltic.us/skjold.html
          • Quokkaqueen
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 12 11:35 PM
              <<snip>>
              > I am looking for documentation of the Sunnfjord Hood. Everything I have found so far keeps coming back to one paper written by a member of the SCA.
              <<snip>>

              I was under the impression that the hood is thought to be more closely related to 19th century folk dress, than a medieval garment.

              If you search Digitalt Museum (http://www.primusweb.no/) for 'sunnfjord hette' (withhout commas) you get a selection of very similar-looking hoods, either undated but from the Norsk Folkemuseum (which focuses on Norwegian life from the 16th century onwards) or from the Sunnfjord Museum and dated to the 19th century.

              The shape of the hood's crown seems to me a lot flatter than many of the the examples on Digitalt Museum, but not all of them.

              In terms of research, the article:
              Aagot Noss 1976. "Eit mellomalderplagg i levande tradisjon. Frå Jølster i Sunnfjord til Herjolfsnes på Grønland." _By og Bygd_ XXV, pp. 57 - 92.

              Might be what you are looking for. Especially when I looked at Marc Carlsson's site and noticed it is one of the sources (I presume) he has found references to, but not read himself.

              Not sure that is the information you were hoping for,

              Asfridhr
            • Quokkaqueen
              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 13 3:30 AM
                <<snip>>
                Parts went
                > together brilliantly, but, too small for a big head &
                > shoulders male, face too tight even on a smaller
                > female, good on shoulders tho'. I think the dimensions
                > would do for a medium child. Didn't have a handy one,
                > so just dismantled it.
                <<snip>>

                From personal experience, it works well if you are more petite. At the moment (after losing a lot of weight!) my copy of the hood works great. When I was larger though, it could fit over my shoulders, but was _very_ tight when it came to the face.
                See: http://pearl.dreamwidth.org/322543.html
                (I was working off Gjessing's article, not the later Lovlid thesis which had measurements on where to place the little strings)

                I need to take newer photos, but now it looks less strange, and I can even pull the hood off my head and have it sit on my shoulders.

                Don't forget, we're dealing with clothing associated with a 'gracile'/slender skeleton that may only have been 150 cm tall. That's over 10 cm shorter than the mean height of women in the USA today at 162.2 cm (sadly, I haven't been able to find the stats for Australia and NZ.) It's likely the person who was wearing the Skjoldehamn outfit, be they male, female, Saami or Norse, would be considered 'short' and 'petite' today. It isn't that great a surprise that we'd have to upsize our outfits for them to fit. :)

                Asfridhr
                (Also in Lochac! *waves*)
              • Des & Jan Howard
                Message 7 of 7 , Aug 13 4:14 AM
                  Asfridhr
                  Shortish I am, petite I a'int.
                  The hood is well out of time for my persona.
                  But, fabric & leather in the cupboard just cries out to
                  be made into something.
                  That said the hood was fun to make. Yesterday I found
                  some fabric off-cuts in a local op-shop. Including a
                  piece of soft pure wool ?suiting. Should make a nicer
                  lining than the blanketing for the next iteration.
                  Ranif
                  House Radburne
                  Rowany
                  *waves* back