Re: [Authentic_SCA] A&S competition ideas & inspiration

  • Cynthia Ley
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 11, 2011
      On 8/11/2011 7:21 AM, Elizabeth W wrote:

      > Hi everyone,
      >
      > I've been given the task of running A&S for Lochac's Inter College War
      > next July and I'm trying to get a head start on the planning.
      >
      > So far we've come up with the following competition ideas.
      >
      > Brewing (either alcoholic or non)
      > Group Heraldic display
      > Individual Heraldic display
      > Teaching (If there's a lot of interest in this I may divide it into
      > practical and theoretical topics)
      > Clothing & accessories (I'm not sure whether to divide this into
      > separate categories)
      > Something you haven't tried before*
      > Persona research (This could possibly include both research articles
      > and physical items your persona would have owned).
      > Bardic competition (by tradition there will probably be some filk but
      > it will be in a separate category)
      >
      > * I'm not sure how broadly to define 'haven't tried before', whether
      > the person who has made dozens of tunics & is now making Elizabethan
      > counts. Or an entirely new skill e.g. using a sewing machine for the
      > first time..
      >
      > Keeping in mind that the entrants will be university students and
      > probably on limited budget has anyone else got ideas on areas that I
      > have forgotten?
      >
      > Thanks,
      > Elizabeth

      You might try separating the levels--An Tir routinely uses "novice,
      intermediate, advanced" in its competitions, both at Kingdom and
      sometimes at branch level. This helps equalize the playing field, as all
      levels are judged separately and/or on their own merit within that level.

      With persona--you might consider a skill that persona would have known
      and/or the making of something that would have been some part of that
      persona' material culture.

      "Haven't tried before"--perhaps re-define it as a new skill for the
      entrant but something their persona would have known about or done. You
      could do an "old skill/new skill" based around persona.

      Just some random thought,
      Arlys,
      An Tir