A&S competition ideas & inspiration

  • Elizabeth W
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 11, 2011
      Hi everyone,

      I've been given the task of running A&S for Lochac's Inter College War
      next July and I'm trying to get a head start on the planning.

      So far we've come up with the following competition ideas.

      Brewing (either alcoholic or non)
      Group Heraldic display
      Individual Heraldic display
      Teaching (If there's a lot of interest in this I may divide it into
      practical and theoretical topics)
      Clothing & accessories (I'm not sure whether to divide this into
      separate categories)
      Something you haven't tried before*
      Persona research (This could possibly include both research articles
      and physical items your persona would have owned).
      Bardic competition (by tradition there will probably be some filk but
      it will be in a separate category)

      * I'm not sure how broadly to define 'haven't tried before', whether
      the person who has made dozens of tunics & is now making Elizabethan
      counts. Or an entirely new skill e.g. using a sewing machine for the
      first time..

      Keeping in mind that the entrants will be university students and
      probably on limited budget has anyone else got ideas on areas that I
      have forgotten?

      Thanks,
      Elizabeth
      Elizabeth Walpole
      http://magpiecostumer.wordpress.com/
      http://magpiecostumer.110mb.com/
    • Cynthia Ley
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 11, 2011
        On 8/11/2011 7:21 AM, Elizabeth W wrote:

        > Hi everyone,
        >
        > I've been given the task of running A&S for Lochac's Inter College War
        > next July and I'm trying to get a head start on the planning.
        >
        > So far we've come up with the following competition ideas.
        >
        > Brewing (either alcoholic or non)
        > Group Heraldic display
        > Individual Heraldic display
        > Teaching (If there's a lot of interest in this I may divide it into
        > practical and theoretical topics)
        > Clothing & accessories (I'm not sure whether to divide this into
        > separate categories)
        > Something you haven't tried before*
        > Persona research (This could possibly include both research articles
        > and physical items your persona would have owned).
        > Bardic competition (by tradition there will probably be some filk but
        > it will be in a separate category)
        >
        > * I'm not sure how broadly to define 'haven't tried before', whether
        > the person who has made dozens of tunics & is now making Elizabethan
        > counts. Or an entirely new skill e.g. using a sewing machine for the
        > first time..
        >
        > Keeping in mind that the entrants will be university students and
        > probably on limited budget has anyone else got ideas on areas that I
        > have forgotten?
        >
        > Thanks,
        > Elizabeth

        You might try separating the levels--An Tir routinely uses "novice,
        intermediate, advanced" in its competitions, both at Kingdom and
        sometimes at branch level. This helps equalize the playing field, as all
        levels are judged separately and/or on their own merit within that level.

        With persona--you might consider a skill that persona would have known
        and/or the making of something that would have been some part of that
        persona' material culture.

        "Haven't tried before"--perhaps re-define it as a new skill for the
        entrant but something their persona would have known about or done. You
        could do an "old skill/new skill" based around persona.

        Just some random thought,
        Arlys,
        An Tir