Trying to ID a crown?

  • Quokkaqueen
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 5, 2011
      Hi all,

      I stumbled onto this Russian blog entry:
      http://clubcitadel.ru/yuvelirnye-ukrasheniya-pozdnego-srednevekovya-i-vozrozhdeniya/
      and I am fascinated with the final photo in the post. It looks like it was photographed in a museum display, but I was hoping someone here would recognise it.

      Can anyone help?

      Asfridhr
    • laurie_cavanaugh
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 5, 2011
        > I stumbled onto this Russian blog entry:

        http://clubcitadel.ru/yuvelirnye-ukrasheniya-pozdnego-srednevekovya-i-vo\
        zrozhdeniya/
        > and I am fascinated with the final photo in the post. It looks like it
        was photographed in a museum display, but I was hoping someone here
        would recognise it.

        > Can anyone help?
        >
        > Asfridhr

        Hello!
        That crown is pictured in Lightbown's Medeval European Jewellery. The
        text of the photo in Lightbown says:
        Coronal. Silver-gilt. Length 55 cm. height 4.5 cm. Hanseatic, fourteenth
        century. Found Badeboda treasure, Aseda parish, Smaland. Statens
        Historiska Museum, Stockholm.
        All he says about this crown in the text is that it as "evidently been
        decorated by stamping," and he goes on to talk about how Lois I of Anjou
        had crowns also decorated by stamping.
        I personally wish that someone had thought to include the thickness of
        the metal.
        Hope this helps!
        Morgan Athenry, West Kingdomwww.MedievalJeweler.com

      • Quokkaqueen
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 6, 2011
          <<snip>>
          > All he says about this crown in the text is that it as "evidently been
          > decorated by stamping," and he goes on to talk about how Lois I of Anjou
          > had crowns also decorated by stamping.
          > I personally wish that someone had thought to include the thickness of
          > the metal.
          > Hope this helps!
          > Morgan Athenry, West Kingdomwww.MedievalJeweler.com
          <<snip>>

          Hello, and thank-you.

          The museum website has many, many photos of it here, now I know what to look for: http://www.historiska.se/data/?foremal=42879

          Thanks again!

          Asfridhr
        • Catherine Olanich Raymond
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 7, 2011
            I can't open your URL--I get an error message saying "Account disabled
            by server administrator."

            --
            Cathy Raymond
            cathy@...

            "Beware how you take away hope from another human being."
            --Oliver Wendell Holmes
          • Catherine Olanich Raymond
            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 11, 2011
              This time it worked for me. Thanks.