RE: [Authentic_SCA] Re: Digest #4567, Is a "Court Barony" period?

  • Scat@cfl.rr.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 25 2:53 AM
      Even with a doctorate in history, I am sometime mildly surprised at
      historical tidbits; I was quite

      shocked, however, to learn that the 14th century Modus Tenendi Parliamentum
      granted non-

      landholding baronies to minor nobility-especially by letters patent. The
      question of commoners

      is irrelevant to the SCA: we enter as minor mobility, hence the
      milord/milady, then are promoted to

      Lords and Ladies and beyond and greeted appropriately. I wonder whether our
      SCA forefathers knew

      about the 14th century Modus Tenendi Parliamentum or if the court barony was
      serendipitous.

      Colm