Re: [Authentic_SCA] Dog collars in period

  • Susanne Hibbert
    Message 1 of 29 , Jul 18 12:34 PM
      I agree. Pictorially, it looks like "pets" started showing up with their ladies
      in late period paintings....lap dogs for the most part. Our local group has
      course hounds, and their are a few late period ladies that have their tiny
      pooches carried in the hand. One person has brought her working dog to carry
      water for the heavy suit fighters. Whether work dog, hunting hounds, or little
      pet, dogs are part of the Society tradition.
      Susana

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 29 , Jul 18 1:15 PM
        Respected friends:

        --- On Mon, 7/18/11, Daniel Brizendine <norseceltbear@...> wrote:

        > I would argue that one of the reasons
        > that there appears mostly hunting
        > collars is that few if any dogs in the middle ages were
        > just "pets". Nearly
        > all persons and animals in the working households had to
        > have some manner in
        > which to "earn their keep" and therefore it would have
        > seemed unseemly for a
        > dog to just lay about and not be doing any of the
        > work. Most dogs either
        > were some sort of hunter or some sort of herder.
        >
        > Zsigmund

        I believe that was only partly true. There were a lot of small dogs. The nun in the Canterbury Tales is accompanied by an unmistakable pet, a tiny and useless lap dog. However, even those little dogs had some function in the colder middle ages- they were heat sources.
        Other working dogs of our time period: guardian dogs, both for animals (sheep-guard dogs, including the Italian Komondor and the Hungarian/ russian borzoi; general livestock guards such as the Hungarian Kuvasz) and for humans (the Irish dogs Cu-Culaigne found himself replacing, and the dual-purpose Dogue de Bordeaux.)
        There were also an unbelievable range of ratters, and some vermin-killers (dogs mostly used to dig our fox dens.) The "sport" breeds, such as bulldogs, have - fortunately - been re-purposed, but they were originally kept solely for such charming spectacles as bull and bear baiting. Also immensely important were cart dogs, of which the sole survivor bred exclusively for that purpose seems to be the Bouvier de Flandres. Then there's strange outliers such as fire-finders (dalmation ancestors) coach dogs, who seem to have been bred mostly to look good keeping pace with horses, the odd little dogs that were called turnspits, and the search-and-rescue breed Saint Bernards (Named after the Swiss monastery from which they went forth to find avalanche survivors and people trapped in blizzards.)
        All in all, quite a collection. Any other jobs I missed?

        Yours in service to both the Societies of which I am a member-
        (Friend) Honour Horne-Jaruk, R.S.F.
        Alizaundre de Brebeuf, C.O.L. S.C.A.- AKA Una the wisewoman, or That Pict

        "If you're a normal human, the inside of your head is not a pretty
        place. Venting it unfiltered to the internet may feel therapeutic,
        but it's unlikely to end well."
        --Goedjn
      • Daniel Brizendine
        Message 3 of 29 , Jul 18 6:56 PM
          Yes Ma'am I understand that. As someone who studies canine development in
          early societies and as a former Italian Greyhound breeder I would disagree
          that they were only for companionship. In fact, the IG is a pure greyhound
          that was breed down during the Egyptian late period as a rabbit dog. If you
          have ever seen these sighthounds course or chase prey you would see that
          their hunt drive is very much still in tact.

          Zsigmund

          --
          *Szapolyai Zsigmund
          Kingdom of Calontir

          *

        • Daniel Brizendine
          Message 4 of 29 , Jul 18 7:01 PM
            I did not go far enough in my explanation and you are right. There was many
            other types of dogs but even the smallest dog was used as ratters and other
            such uses. Example the Tibetan Terrier and the Shitzu while not large were
            used in connection with the Tibetian Mastiff to protect the temples. This
            is just one example. There were many other examples where small dogs where
            used for a variety of jobs. The Shipperke which was used by the Dutch
            Sailors on the canals to alert the people in the towns and keep away pests
            on the boats.

            You make my arguement that canines had many jobs but they had jobs
            nonetheless

            Yours in Service and Study

            Zsigmund

            --
            *Szapolyai Zsigmund
            Kingdom of Calontir

            *

          • Isabella D'Angelo
            Message 5 of 29 , Jul 19 5:56 AM
              Just an additional "but then there is this!"

              http://www.nga.gov/collection/gallery/gg3/gg3-41630.html

              An older, poor gentleman walking his small dog using a rope. This is from about 1440.

              -Isabella

              Message 6 of 29 , Jul 19 8:56 AM
                The act of walking his dog does not cancel the fact that this very dog was
                probably some sort of ratter or pest control type dog as it appears to be a
                terrier type dog. Even those of us that have dogs that are in fact still
                working type dogs either in the field protecting livestock, herding
                livestock or hunting for us does not mean we don't love them or maybe even
                if we have those type dogs and then walk them if we moved to the city.

                Zsigmund

                Message 7 of 29 , Jul 19 11:07 AM
                  Yes, I course my two IGs in the SCA. They course each other in play. I've heard of a brace of 3 taking down jack rabbits. They are sighthounds, no mistaking it.

                  I have lots of period artwork with small sighthounds as companions (as well as small spaniels and something small, white & fluffy). I'm just having problems finding hunting scenes (or descriptions) with small sighthounds (IG sized). I'm not saying they aren't out there, I'm just having problems finding them. If you know of any pre-1600, I would be very interested.

                  Peryn
                  Meridies

                  --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, Daniel Brizendine <norseceltbear@...> wrote:
                  > If you
                  > have ever seen these sighthounds course or chase prey you would see that
                  > their hunt drive is very much still in tact.
                  >
                  > Zsigmund
                • peryn7
                  Message 8 of 29 , Jul 19 11:13 AM
                    Nice image :) The color/pattern reminds me of the italian spaniel-looking dogs in some hunting images. I think they were flushing waterfowl for a rider with a raptor. But these dogs were a little bigger.

                    Peryn
                    Meridies

                    --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "Isabella D'Angelo" <isabelladangelo@...> wrote:
                    > Just an additional "but then there is this!"
                    > http://www.nga.gov/collection/gallery/gg3/gg3-41630.html
                    > An older, poor gentleman walking his small dog using a rope. This is from about 1440.
                    > -Isabella
                  • Michael Hurley
                    Message 9 of 29 , Jul 19 4:20 PM
                      On Jul 19, 2011, at 10:56 AM, Daniel Brizendine wrote:
                      > The act of walking his dog does not cancel the fact that this very
                      > dog was
                      > probably some sort of ratter or pest control type dog as it appears
                      > to be a
                      > terrier type dog.

                      Or for that matter, simple protection. The subject is, after all, St.
                      Anthony giving his money to the poor. Even today, how many homeless
                      people adopt stray dogs for protection, warmth, and even companionship?
                      --
                      Auf wiedersehen!
                      Michael

                      "..No."

                      -Real Genius
                    • Trish
                      Message 10 of 29 , Jul 19 8:16 PM
                        I am just going to put my $.02 in.
                        Just off hand I remember reading (Henry VIII: The King and His Court By Alison Weir) that Henry VIII put rewards out for his dogs Cut & Ball being returned to him when they got loose. It mentioned velvet, silver-spiked collars.

                        Anne Boleyn, had a small companion dog that she got from Sir Francis Bryan that she named Purkoy and died shortly before she did.

                        Jane Seymour had a smalltoy poodle looking dog that was painted in a portrait with her and Henry VIII.

                        Then there's Mary, Queen of Scots' Terrier that was her companion and "Then one of the executioners, pulling off her garters, espied her little dog which was crept under her cloths, which could not be gotten forth by force, yet afterward would not depart from the dead corpse, but came and lay between her head and her shoulders, which being imbrued with her blood was carried away and washed"
                        I don't know if any of that helps...

                        ~Trish
                        http://www.trishstuff.com

                      • Quokkaqueen
                        Message 11 of 29 , Jul 19 9:07 PM
                          For earlier examples, there is a spiked collar from Valsgarde, Sweden:
                          Anne-Sofie Gräslund, Dogs in graves – a question of symbolism?
                          In Barbro Santillo Frizell [ed] Pecus: Man and Animal in Antiquity (The Swedish Institute in Rome. Projects and Seminars, 1), Rome 2004 ISSN 1824-7725
                          http://www.isvroma.it/public/pecus/graslund.pdf

                          And not a collar, but a leash for four dogs is from the Ladby boat burial. Which would point towards some sort of collar being worn in order for the leash to be attachable.
                          http://www.johanneslarsenmuseet.dk/page.asp?objectid=2833&zcs=2200
                          wider photo of the entire contraption:
                          http://www.travelpod.com/travel-blog-entries/sarahindenmark/denmark/1189800060/tpod.html#pbrowser/sarahindenmark/denmark/1189800060/filename=dsc02780.jpg

                          The only other example I can think of is much earlier than the usual timeperiod of the SCA, but there is a decorated leather collar from Tutankhamun's tomb:
                          http://www.abc.net.au/news/2011-04-12/decorated-leather-collar-for-a-dog-at-the/2617986

                          Hope that's not entirely useless,

                          Asfridhr
                        • Marianne Perdomo
                          Message 12 of 29 , Jul 20 1:23 AM
                            Great stuff! The egyptian collar is gorgeous!!
                            Not the original poster, but thanks!

                            FWIW, I've read that small dogs kept for company have existed at least since
                            Roman times. Pliny talks of the ladies' dogs that could ease stomach pains
                            by being kept close to it. Studies of dogs from Romain Britain yielded
                            heights between 23 and 72cm. Source: A Natural History of Domesticated
                            Mammals, by Juliet Clutton-Brock, 2nd ed.

                            However, I've read claims that the breed depicted in Egyptian pharaonic art
                            were, variously, so called Pharaoh Hounds, Ibizan hounds (Podencos) or even
                            "similar to greyhounds". But DNA analysis have disproved the claim at least
                            for Pharaoh hounds. What I've read on the matter suggests that "types"
                            (rather than breeds) have been bred repeatedly at different places
                            throughout history. More often than not, there will be no genetic
                            relationship between similar looking dogs.

                            There's a group on Yahoo, SCA Hound Coursing, or somesuch where the matter
                            of collars has been discussed previously. You may want to check the groups
                            archives for old messages and photos. I also recreated one of the 3-pronged
                            collars shown in some late period sources for my dog Eli, if anyone's
                            interested.

                            Cheers!

                          • Fred Zeiler
                            Message 13 of 29 , Jul 20 5:24 AM
                              Thanks! Do you have pictures?

                              Frederick

                              On Wed, Jul 20, 2011 at 3:23 AM, Marianne Perdomo <marianne@...
                              > wrote:

                              > **
                              >

                              > Great stuff! The egyptian collar is gorgeous!!
                              > Not the original poster, but thanks!
                              >
                              > FWIW, I've read that small dogs kept for company have existed at least
                              > since
                              > Roman times. Pliny talks of the ladies' dogs that could ease stomach pains
                              > by being kept close to it. Studies of dogs from Romain Britain yielded
                              > heights between 23 and 72cm. Source: A Natural History of Domesticated
                              > Mammals, by Juliet Clutton-Brock, 2nd ed.
                              >
                              > However, I've read claims that the breed depicted in Egyptian pharaonic art
                              > were, variously, so called Pharaoh Hounds, Ibizan hounds (Podencos) or even
                              > "similar to greyhounds". But DNA analysis have disproved the claim at least
                              > for Pharaoh hounds. What I've read on the matter suggests that "types"
                              > (rather than breeds) have been bred repeatedly at different places
                              > throughout history. More often than not, there will be no genetic
                              > relationship between similar looking dogs.
                              >
                              > There's a group on Yahoo, SCA Hound Coursing, or somesuch where the matter
                              > of collars has been discussed previously. You may want to check the groups
                              > archives for old messages and photos. I also recreated one of the 3-pronged
                              > collars shown in some late period sources for my dog Eli, if anyone's
                              > interested.
                              >
                              > Cheers!

                              Frederick

                              You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think. unknown

                            • Michael Hurley
                              Message 14 of 29 , Jul 20 12:54 PM
                                On Jul 20, 2011, at 3:23 AM, Marianne Perdomo wrote:
                                > FWIW, I've read that small dogs kept for company have existed at
                                > least since
                                > Roman times. Pliny talks of the ladies' dogs that could ease stomach
                                > pains
                                > by being kept close to it. Studies of dogs from Romain Britain yielded
                                > heights between 23 and 72cm. Source: A Natural History of Domesticated
                                > Mammals, by Juliet Clutton-Brock, 2nd ed.

                                But wouldn't that Pliny quote seem to imply they were kept for more
                                than just companionship? In this case, medical reasons? I think what
                                Zsigmund was trying to say is that there seems to be almost no
                                evidence for animals being kept solely for companionship reasons in
                                our time-period. They always seem to have had utilitarian value as
                                well. Hunting, herding, protection, sport, warmth, medicinal value,
                                whatever. Not just "because we like them."

                                Please note that I'm not trying to say the modern attitude about pets
                                is somehow wrong, just that it's different from the medieval attitude
                                as far as I can see.
                                --
                                Auf wiedersehen!
                                Michael

                                "..No."

                                -Real Genius
                              • Dianne Stucki
                                Message 15 of 29 , Jul 20 1:33 PM
                                   They always seem to have had utilitarian value as
                                  well. Hunting, herding, protection, sport, warmth, medicinal value,
                                  whatever. Not just "because we like them."

                                  Please note that I'm not trying to say the modern attitude about pets
                                  is somehow wrong, just that it's different from the medieval attitude
                                  as far as I can see.
                                  --
                                  Auf wiedersehen!
                                  Michael>>

                                  OTOH--my Sheltie-spaniel mix may not strike fear into the heart of any burglar. But I KNOW she would let me know if anyone tried to get into my house without my knowledge or permission, and I have slept much better at night when my husband is away since we adopted her. And she does have a rather impressive "WOOF!" when someone comes to the door.

                                  If I let you in, however, she might just lick you to death.

                                  Laurensa

                                • Marianne Perdomo
                                  Message 16 of 29 , Jul 20 2:19 PM
                                    I just don't see such a sharp divide... keeping company is a job of sorts.
                                    Also I have my dog so I'm forced to go on walks, and think I'm not alone in
                                    this. Many people also like their dogs warning of any intruders, even if
                                    it's the high-pitched yip of a tiny dog that will never scare away an
                                    average human. Also... in medieval times people kept menageries of exotic
                                    animals. Keeping leopards and what-have-you can't be so different from
                                    keeping parrots or iguanas. You keep them because they appeal to you. Then
                                    if they're also useful, so much the better.

                                    I've rescued the quote so you can judge for yourselves. My impresssion is
                                    that he's just adding a function to the dogs, kind of like drinkiing tea and
                                    then finding out it's full of antioxidants or whatever...

                                    "As touching the pretty little dogs that our dainty dames make so much of,
                                    called Melitaet in Latin, if they be ever and anon kept close unto the
                                    stomach, they ease the pain thereof."

                                    As to the dog collar I need to find the photos... :/ or find the collar and
                                    take new ones...

                                    Cheers!

                                    Leonor

                                  • Trish
                                    Message 17 of 29 , Jul 20 3:53 PM
                                      Like King Edward VI's dog who foiled Thomas Seymour's plans to kidnap him, and alerted the royal guards before Seymour killed it.

                                      ~Trish
                                      http://www.trishstuff.com
                                      <snip>

                                      OTOH--my Sheltie-spaniel mix may not strike fear into the heart of any burglar. But I KNOW she would let me know if anyone tried to get into my house without my knowledge or permission, and I have slept much better at night when my husband is away since we adopted her. And she does have a rather impressive "WOOF!" when someone comes to the door.
                                      <snip>

                                    • Honour Horne-Jaruk
                                      Message 18 of 29 , Jul 21 3:21 AM
                                        Respected friends:

                                        > Brizendine wrote:
                                        > > The act of walking his dog does not cancel the fact
                                        > that this very
                                        > > dog was
                                        > > probably some sort of ratter or pest control type dog
                                        > as it appears
                                        > > to be a
                                        > > terrier type dog.
                                        Given the subject of the picture, and the stick/cane in the man's other hand, it more likely fits in another working category I missed: handicapped assistance. In addition to leading the blind, which goes back at least to Rome, dogs have served such functions as warning of the onset of both seizures and chemically-mediated psychotic episodes. (I'm looking for one who can identify hypoglycemic attacks.) If a dog is large and strong enough, it can even learn to "dive" under a child who frequently falls while walking.
                                        However, you're dismissing a category of "working" dog that certainly did exist in the middle ages: conspicuous consumption. Dogs bred, and kept, solely for their grace and beauty. Most lap-dogs fit into this category, too; they were as much an accessory as a pair of gloves or a lace-edged muckender. They didn't do any kind of practical work. Like dwarves and jesters, they existed for the amusement of those wealthy enough to afford them.