RE: [Authentic_SCA] Need a Source for Pins

  • Fred Zeiler
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 11, 2011
      I been making glass veil pins if your interested.

      Frederick

      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 12, 2011
        --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "Cilean_69" <cilean@...> wrote:

        > Hi
        >
        > Anyone know of anyone making and/or selling pins to hold veils and hats and the like ???
        >
        > I need fancy if you know of any!
        >
        > Thanks
        >
        > Cilean

        I make pins, after the examples in Dress Accessories (so they're 14th c.-ish) and I cheat horribly, but they're the right size and they look ok. The style I am emulating are the ones that are about .5mm, brass, and have a bead on the one end. Mine don't have the collet or the peening (although I am working on something that will approximate that look) but they do pass the 10-foot rule. I use jeweler's cement to glue the beads onto the pins, and .5mm brass wire from the local hobby store cut into 2 1/2" lengths.

        You could also use 24- or 22-gauge brass headpins of the appropriate length, which would look better and help the placing of the bead. I have found that 2 1/2" for a veil pin is a good length for me.

        YIS,

        Margaret fitzWilliam
      • Susanne Hibbert
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 12, 2011
          Where can we find example of a "bead" on the head of a period pin?
          Susana

          ________________________________
          > Anyone know of anyone making and/or selling pins to hold veils and hats and the
          >like ???
          >
          > I need fancy if you know of any!
          >
          > Thanks
          >
          > Cilean

          I make pins, after the examples in Dress Accessories (so they're 14th c.-ish)
          and I cheat horribly, but they're the right size and they look ok. The style I
          am emulating are the ones that are about .5mm, brass, and have a bead on the one
          end. Mine don't have the collet or the peening (although I am working on
          something that will approximate that look) but they do pass the 10-foot rule. I
          use jeweler's cement to glue the beads onto the pins, and .5mm brass wire from
          the local hobby store cut into 2 1/2" lengths.

          You could also use 24- or 22-gauge brass headpins of the appropriate length,
          which would look better and help the placing of the bead. I have found that 2
          1/2" for a veil pin is a good length for me.

          YIS,

          Margaret fitzWilliam

        • Michael Hurley
          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 12, 2011
            On Jul 12, 2011, at 12:39 PM, Susanne Hibbert wrote:
            > Where can we find example of a "bead" on the head of a period pin?
            > Susana

            They're shown in the Museum of London's Dress Accessories book, as I
            recall. Reconstructing History used to sell some gorgeous veil pins
            with coral beads on the top but they don't show them anymore, more's
            the pity.

            Here are photos of coral headed, glass headed and pewter headed pins
            from London excavations:

            http://www.kostym.cz/Anglicky/2_Detaily/01_Doplnky/II_01_30.htm

            that I found through the always useful:

            http://larsdatter.com/