RE: [Authentic_SCA] Need a Source for Pins

  • Fred Zeiler
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 11, 2011
      I been making glass veil pins if your interested.

      Frederick

      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 12, 2011
        Victorian Trading has beautiful hair pins and hat pins.....

        http://www.victoriantradingco.com/

        look in vintage jewels....

      • Diane Dooley
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 12, 2011
          Victorian hat and hair pins are much fancier that medieval veil and sleeve pins. The medieval ones are more like very sturdy straight pins.

          Tasha

          Sent from my iPhone
        • pixel39
          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 12, 2011
            --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "Cilean_69" <cilean@...> wrote:

            > Hi
            >
            > Anyone know of anyone making and/or selling pins to hold veils and hats and the like ???
            >
            > I need fancy if you know of any!
            >
            > Thanks
            >
            > Cilean

            I make pins, after the examples in Dress Accessories (so they're 14th c.-ish) and I cheat horribly, but they're the right size and they look ok. The style I am emulating are the ones that are about .5mm, brass, and have a bead on the one end. Mine don't have the collet or the peening (although I am working on something that will approximate that look) but they do pass the 10-foot rule. I use jeweler's cement to glue the beads onto the pins, and .5mm brass wire from the local hobby store cut into 2 1/2" lengths.

            You could also use 24- or 22-gauge brass headpins of the appropriate length, which would look better and help the placing of the bead. I have found that 2 1/2" for a veil pin is a good length for me.

            YIS,

            Margaret fitzWilliam
          • Susanne Hibbert
            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 12, 2011
              Where can we find example of a "bead" on the head of a period pin?
              Susana

              ________________________________
              > Anyone know of anyone making and/or selling pins to hold veils and hats and the
              >like ???
              >
              > I need fancy if you know of any!
              >
              > Thanks
              >
              > Cilean

              I make pins, after the examples in Dress Accessories (so they're 14th c.-ish)
              and I cheat horribly, but they're the right size and they look ok. The style I
              am emulating are the ones that are about .5mm, brass, and have a bead on the one
              end. Mine don't have the collet or the peening (although I am working on
              something that will approximate that look) but they do pass the 10-foot rule. I
              use jeweler's cement to glue the beads onto the pins, and .5mm brass wire from
              the local hobby store cut into 2 1/2" lengths.

              You could also use 24- or 22-gauge brass headpins of the appropriate length,
              which would look better and help the placing of the bead. I have found that 2
              1/2" for a veil pin is a good length for me.

              YIS,

              Margaret fitzWilliam

            • Michael Hurley
              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 12, 2011
                On Jul 12, 2011, at 12:39 PM, Susanne Hibbert wrote:
                > Where can we find example of a "bead" on the head of a period pin?
                > Susana

                They're shown in the Museum of London's Dress Accessories book, as I
                recall. Reconstructing History used to sell some gorgeous veil pins
                with coral beads on the top but they don't show them anymore, more's
                the pity.

                Here are photos of coral headed, glass headed and pewter headed pins
                from London excavations:

                http://www.kostym.cz/Anglicky/2_Detaily/01_Doplnky/II_01_30.htm

                that I found through the always useful:

                http://larsdatter.com/